Stevens and Inouye top Pork

AK and HI avg over $400 per capita in those states, the rest avg only $39 per person...NY ranked 43. By and large smaller Red states made out with some token blues sprinkled in.

Linky Thing!

654191[/snapback]

It would help if they defined "pork".

And I never realized the amount of "pork" in the federal budget was so low. $10 billion out of $2 trillion? Hell, that's barely 2% of the budget deficit. Suddenly, I don't even care about it anymore...

It would help if they defined "pork". 

654509[/snapback]

From the linked site:

"A "pork" project is a line-item in an appropriations bill that designates tax dollars for a specific purpose in circumvention of established budgetary procedures. To qualify as pork, a project must meet one of seven criteria that were developed in 1991 by CAGW and the Congressional Porkbusters Coalition."

From the linked site:

"A "pork" project is a line-item in an appropriations bill that designates tax dollars for a specific purpose in circumvention of established budgetary procedures.  To qualify as pork, a project must meet one of seven criteria that were developed in 1991 by CAGW and the Congressional Porkbusters Coalition."

654558[/snapback]

Okay. So half a percent of the federal budget is crafted to specifically circumvent budgetary procedures.

I'm actually relieved it's so low. Seriously.

The number I read in an article on it yesterday was ~$30B.

Which, when you think about it in how finances are bandied about by our govt, isn't all that much. But, removed from the abstract that is Washington DC, it's a lot of effin' money. And then, it's done every year.

All for sh-- like a teapot museum, $1M for research into weaponizing mosquitos, etc.