Savannah St. Pats 07

Hello all

A few weeks ago we had a thread where Savannah Georgia's St. Pats celebration was mentioned. I said if my friends and I decided to do it, I'd post for suggestions and help as to where to stay etc.

After speaking with everyone, we have decided to do it next year. Since St. Pats is on a Saturday, and we would not have to take too much time off work to go. Also, I post this now because I'm sure places book up early.

Thus, I'm hopeful that people can provide suggestions on where to stay, flights, where to eat, best places to party etc. I'd be going with 10 guys, so if we could rent a 5 bedroom house/condo or something like that in the right area it may be a bit more affordable than a hotel.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hello all

A few weeks ago we had a thread where Savannah Georgia's St. Pats celebration was mentioned.  I said if my friends and I decided to do it, I'd post for suggestions and help as to where to stay etc.

After speaking with everyone, we have decided to do it next year.  Since St. Pats is on a Saturday, and we would not have to take too much time off work to go.  Also, I post this now because I'm sure places book up early.

Thus, I'm hopeful that people can provide suggestions on where to stay, flights, where to eat, best places to party etc.  I'd be going with 10 guys, so if we could rent a 5 bedroom house/condo or something like that in the right area it may be a bit more affordable than a hotel. 

653344[/snapback]

I'll think on it and get back. I'd forget the Condo for a short stay.

Savanhah is one of the best Saint Patricks days in the world! I know- I have celebrated St Patricks in Dublin, Chicago, New York, Boston and Savannah(I like to party!). The party should go on for a few days. They really jack up hotel rates that day- I paid over $250 for a Days Inn. You will have a blast!

If you can swing a week, you might be able to get a house on Tybee, stay on the beach and take the busses back and forth. Another idea to save on hotel would be to stay on the south side of town and bus back and forth. Savannah sets up a lot of bus runs, because they know everyone is drunk. Check the Savannah paper (www.savannahnow.com) for St. Pats rentals and holiday rentals. Can probably Google there, too. Southside is also well within cab range, but hard to get during the prty cycle. Could also cough up the money, and do a combo. Stay primarily on the beach, but rent rooms Fri and/or Sat night in town.

Flying in is take what you can get. Savannah-Hilton Head is off the beaten airline path. Also depends on where you are flying from. I've flown down there cheap from DC before as there was a Delta Connection that catered to golfers and had a non-stop from Reagan to SAV. Only other option is fly into Jax and drive up, which I would argue against since you probably don't want the 2 hour drive back with a hangover.

A good place to eat isn't hard to find. Pretty well pick one. Depends what you like. Savannah is big on seafood and southern cooking. For a flavor of the town, have a meal (buffet style) at Lady and Sons up in Market Square. Paula Deen (from the cooking channel) owns and runs the place. If it's still open, Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House. More than one Irish place. Food time is competitive with 100,000 hungry drunks running around. Plenty of places down on the River and on Market Square along with many, many street vendors. Once you pick a place to stay, it's a lot easier to narrow down.

Best places to party? From probably Thursday through Sunday night just about anything in the city limits. Open containers are legal, and there are plenty beer vendors on the streets. Wet Willies on the north end of River Street is well known for their frozen drinks made with pure grain. Spanky's is a very well known local watering hole on the River too. Most people just drift place to place. Once you see what's going on, you'll get the drift. Down around the Hyatt they will have a bandstand and probably a pretty hefty music agenda. Many of the bars will have live bands, too.

Don't discount the parade. Everyone is already pretty toasted by the time the parade starts (second largest in the US) and it's kind of an eccentric interactive experience.

Don't wander too far off from the main party area, such as down towards the ports or much inside Broad Street. As with any other town, there ARE critters.

Expect to meet some pretty, friendly and partying Southern Belles-but don't act an ass. Savannah is old genteel south, and is big on manners. But, hooking up with a pack of them flashing for beads can be fun (yes, they travel in packs).

Hello all

A few weeks ago we had a thread where Savannah Georgia's St. Pats celebration was mentioned.  I said if my friends and I decided to do it, I'd post for suggestions and help as to where to stay etc.

After speaking with everyone, we have decided to do it next year.  Since St. Pats is on a Saturday, and we would not have to take too much time off work to go.  Also, I post this now because I'm sure places book up early.

Thus, I'm hopeful that people can provide suggestions on where to stay, flights, where to eat, best places to party etc.  I'd be going with 10 guys, so if we could rent a 5 bedroom house/condo or something like that in the right area it may be a bit more affordable than a hotel. 

653344[/snapback]

I rented a great five bedroom house with a one bedroom basement apartment on Tybee Island and housed 10 adults and about 6 teenagers. First rate beach house from Tybee Rentals on the Main St, just off the beach. Tybee has its own St. Pat's day beach parade which is more than a little wild. The college rugby teams (men and women) hang out there and there is a great rugby tournament that weekend. The parade is terrific and the partying is truly unbelievable. Restaurants are first rate and legion. As the year goes on I'll provide more. No better place in the world to spend St. Pat's.

Thank you very much Tenny & Bib. I really appreciate the info and will be printing this thread.

I will definately make the parade. When we were at Mardi Gras in 2000, they were one of the best parts of being there.

How far is Tybee Island from the main Riverwalk area? And how often does the bus run from Tybee Island?

The reason I thought of a house/condo is because that is what we do for Fall fest in Ellicottville every year. If a hotel is much better/much more convenient, we'll do that. In New Orleans we stayed at the Days Inn on Canal, which was fine. I would have preferred the Inn on Bourbon, but it was just too much. If I was to look for hotels, any suggestions?

My friends are pretty much scattered all over the Northeast, so we'd be flying from BUF, NYC, PIT and BOS.

I rented a great five bedroom house with a one bedroom basement apartment on Tybee Island and housed 10 adults and about 6 teenagers.  First rate beach house from Tybee Rentals on the Main St, just off the beach.  Tybee has its own St. Pat's day beach parade which is more than a little wild.  The college rugby teams (men and women) hang out there and there is a great rugby tournament that weekend.  The parade is terrific and the partying is truly unbelievable. Restaurants are first rate and legion.  As the year goes on I'll provide more.  No better place in the world to spend St. Pat's.

653991[/snapback]

That's why I was leaning towards doing both. You're going to spend money anyway, might as well not half ass it. It's worth a week to stay. There's a lot to see and do in the area, depending on one's likes. One can spend a full day just walking the historic district with a good camera.

I forgot to mention Pirate's House as a must stop place to eat, if you are looking for the old Savannah ambience at all.

That's why I was leaning towards doing both. You're going to spend money anyway, might as well not half ass it. It's worth a week to stay. There's a lot to see and do in the area, depending on one's likes. One can spend a full day just walking the historic district with a good camera.

I forgot to mention Pirate's House as a must stop place to eat, if you are looking for the old Savannah ambience at all.

654029[/snapback]

And you must stop at Wet Willies for a bevvy or three hundred.

I looked on VRBO and came up with these listings...problem is I don't know where they are in relation to the main party area. Any suggestions?

http://www.vrbo.com/4737

http://www.vrbo.com/14730

http://www.vrbo.com/83751

And these two that are a bit more..

http://www.vrbo.com/53839

http://www.vrbo.com/84355

Thanks for your help.

My friends are pretty much scattered all over the Northeast, so we'd be flying from BUF, NYC, PIT and BOS.

654024[/snapback]

Word of advice on flights. Flying into Atlanta will probably be your cheapest route, but it's a four hour drive of the most boring stretch of highway in the South. Rt. 16 from Macon to Savannah has few exits and is trapped heavily. If it doesn't break the bank, fly directly into Savannah.

We just had a hockey tournament in Savannah this past weekend and a room at a decent hotel with an easy walk to River or Bay St. was going from $200-$250/nt. Figure at least that for St. Patty's Day...probably more. Staying out by the airport is cheaper, but not as fun. Can be walked in a drunken stupor, but I wouldn't recommend it. Staying in the middle of the party allows you and your buds to come and go as you please. I've had a St. Patty's day cut short because we were with the girlfriend's friend who can't hang and she needs to get back to the hotel to crash and doesn't feel safe by herself. Started drinking at 10am and she's down for the count by 8pm. C'mon???!!! Waited for the girls to pass out and we headed back out. That was 6 years ago and I still catch stojan for it.

I'm not a huge fan of tours, but outside of St. Patty's activities I'd recommend a haunted pub crawl. Good way to find out of the way places to grab a drink. You'd be amazed at the number of bars/pubs/restaraunts that are in old homes and buildings. Without the pub crawl, I wouldn't have even realized they were there.

What else....Moon River is a decent microbrewery and just don't hit the bars on River St. There's a few good Irish, Speakeasy (Crystal Beer Parlor on Jones St.) and Colonial style (Six Pence on Bull St.) pubs a few blocks off.

Grab a sandwich at B.Matthew's Bakery/Eatery on E. Bay. They have some kind of sandwich made from black-eyed peas or chick peas (can't remember) that is fantastic. This coming from a guy who has to have meat with every meal.

Thank you very much Tenny & Bib.  I really appreciate the info and will be printing this thread. 

I will definately make the parade.  When we were at Mardi Gras in 2000, they were one of the best parts of being there.

How far is Tybee Island from the main Riverwalk area?  And how often does the bus run from Tybee Island? 

The reason I thought of a house/condo is because that is what we do for Fall fest in Ellicottville every year.  If a hotel is much better/much more convenient, we'll do that.  In New Orleans we stayed at the Days Inn on Canal, which was fine.  I would have preferred the Inn on Bourbon, but it was just too much.  If I was to look for hotels, any suggestions?

654024[/snapback]

Tybee is great because of the ocean and plenty of places to party there. You might run into Sandra Bullock, who has a place there and hangs out. Great seafood places and you might take any number of side trips. The rugby group is terrific. I used to hang out with a lot of NYC cops and firefighters and my girlfriend made the front page of the Savannah paper as a partier a few years ago. I'd definitely do a week there. Plenty of golf and terrific sightseeing.