How hard is it to guess the Bills pick?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

(2) Can anyone comment on Marcus McNeil from Auburn?  Has anyone watched him play?  Some draftniks have him rated the #2 tackle and Justice the #3 tackle.

653047[/snapback]

Marcus McNeal, speaking from an athletic standpoint, has all the tools to dominate at the NFL level. Probably has more physical tools than Justice or Ferguson. However, he is one of the more inconsistent OTs in the entire draft. He looks strong in one game and then gets run over by the Ole Miss DE in the next. Also, there have been some concerns because of his size how well he can deal with the NFL speed rushers since he never could handle college speed rushers very well. Definitely not ready to start in the NFL until he gets his head screwed on straight and brings it every game.

I think people need to keep an eye out on Winston Justice as being our first round pick.

Putting Justice at LT and then Max Jean-Giles or Davin Joseph at LG with our 2nd round pick...ddaaaaaayyyum, thats potentially dominant in two years. 

People say "fix the O-Line"...well that would definitely take a huge step towards doing just that.

Not that I'd be angry over Huff, I like him a lot...but after seeing Justice's performance at his Pro Day and seeing several interviews where he seems like he's got his act together (plus, he is only 20...uber-upside), I'm beginning to think he would be a great addition to the Bills.

652993[/snapback]

Justice has only played RT.

He will have a huge adjustment to play the left side and is further hampered by having short arms to fend off elite pass rushers.

Not to say they won't take him, but don't expect any immediate contributions from him at LT in 2006 - which is absolutely necessary from the #8 selection.

He will have a huge adjustment to play the left side and is further hampered by having short arms to fend off elite pass rushers.

Not to say they won't take him, but don't expect any immediate contributions from him at LT in 2006 - which is absolutely necessary from the #8 selection.

653110[/snapback]

Well put, if they do draft Justice it will not be at the 8 spot just because he would have to take a year to learn LT. If we stay there whoever we draft will probably start immediately. Remember we are rebuilding, no better time to learn than now.

I like Pat Watkins, he has a lot of potential and has some of the best size in a Safety I've ever seen.  Only issue with him is his lack of experience, I think he's only been at the Safety spot for two years...he might take some time.  But I'm definitely in favor of taking him with our first 3rd round selection if he's still there.

653041[/snapback]

Watkins would represent great value for us if we could snag him in the 3rd round (provided we dont draft huff) He's a gamer. I also wouldnt mind seeing the Bills take FSU's HB Leon Washington in the late rounds of the draft. DE Kamerion Wimbley has got some talent, but he'll be gone before our second round pick.

Marcus McNeal, speaking from an athletic standpoint, has all the tools to dominate at the NFL level.  Probably has more physical tools than Justice or Ferguson.  However, he is one of the more inconsistent OTs in the entire draft.  He looks strong in one game and then gets run over by the Ole Miss DE in the next.  Also, there have been some concerns because of his size how well he can deal with the NFL speed rushers since he never could handle college speed rushers very well.  Definitely not ready to start in the NFL until he gets his head screwed on straight and brings it every game.

653067[/snapback]

Hey Malta, is McNeil really that inconsistent (haven't watched him play much, just some film)? He only gave up 1 sack in his entire career and was a four year starter. He'll go late first but would be an absolute steal if he was around in the second. Auburn did lead the SEC in offense last year after loosing Cadillac, Brown, and Cambell. I agree that he will need some time but think eventually he won't have much of problem with the top speed rushers in the NFL because Mcneil is very very quick for a big man.

As for Jason Allen..he has seen his stock sky rocket from 3rd round to the mid first-late second. After watching some film of Allen...IMHO he was every bit as impressive as Huff and would be a steal in round 2.

The good thing about this draft is there is a lot of depth at the positions we need most. If we go DT in round one we can probably pick up a good interior lineman in Round 2...(Davin Joseph, Gean-Jiles). If we go OL or S in round 1 we can get a guy like Wroten or the kid from NC State (can't remeber his name) in round 2 or 3. Should be interesting

653110[/snapback]

Not according to the publications out there.

PFW: "Has very long arms and good lateral agility to slide and cut off speed rushers...has a freakishly giant wingspan."

Sporting News Scouting: "Has the arms and hands to control defenders at the point of attack. He has a wingspan that makes defenders take a wide arc."

Street & Smith: "Effective drive blocker who uses his hands well and has a powerful strong-hand punch."

NFL Draft Countdown: "Has great size and long arms."

Lenny P: "In the pass-block drills, Justice, who has the kind of wingspan scouts love (34½ inches) in pass protectors..."

And as for playing LT, Mel Kiper was talking OTs on ESPNews two days ago and said that Justice will have no problem making the jump due to the fact Matt Leinart was left-handed so Justice has oodles of experience protecting the blind side of a QB. Kiper said that most teams regard him as a LT anyways because of that fact, and because Leinart isnt exactly the most mobile QB around so Justice had his work cut out for him a majority of last season.

I'm not saying there arent question marks around Winston Justice, but not any more than there is with any other O-Lineman aside from D'Brickashaw in this draft. Justice has uber-upside and the Bills should think long and hard about drafting this stud to anchor the line.

We've been saying for years "Fix the O-Line!"...now is our chance to do so with this draft.

I think people need to keep an eye out on Winston Justice as being our first round pick.

Putting Justice at LT and then Max Jean-Giles or Davin Joseph at LG with our 2nd round pick...ddaaaaaayyyum, thats potentially dominant in two years. 

People say "fix the O-Line"...well that would definitely take a huge step towards doing just that.

Not that I'd be angry over Huff, I like him a lot...but after seeing Justice's performance at his Pro Day and seeing several interviews where he seems like he's got his act together (plus, he is only 20...uber-upside), I'm beginning to think he would be a great addition to the Bills.

652993[/snapback]

That is what I think will happen... (Dare I dream that we trade down with KC who REALLY want a star DT

Hey Malta, is McNeil really that inconsistent (haven't watched him play much, just some film)?  He only gave up 1 sack in his entire career and was a four year starter.  He'll go late first but would be an absolute steal if he was around in the second.  Auburn did lead the SEC in offense last year after loosing Cadillac, Brown, and Cambell.  I agree that he will need some time but think eventually he won't have much of problem with the top speed rushers in the NFL because Mcneil is very very quick for a big man.

653218[/snapback]

Stl, here's what I posted about McNeil earlier:

McNeil? I don't like him. He played a bit too heavy all last season and it showed. Yes, he's got nimble feet for a big man, but I've seen this kind of OT before and I certainly don't want to see it any time soon for the Bills. I'd prefer a guy w/ pretty good size, good technique, and long arms to ward off speed rushers. Those are the kind of OTs that are becoming all the rage now: guys like Walter Jones in Seattle or Levi Jones in Cincinnati. One guy who may fit that same description that I've mentioned before is Jonathan Scott of Texas. I'd be okay w/ using a 3rd on him.

I just don't want to see the Bills draft another huge offensive tackle that has trouble getting good leverage and doesn't hold up against speed rushers. Been there, done that.

The good thing about this draft is there is a lot of depth at the positions we need most.  If we go DT in round one we can probably pick up a good interior lineman in Round 2...(Davin Joseph, Gean-Jiles).  If we go OL or S in round 1 we can get a guy like Wroten or the kid from NC State (can't remeber his name) in round 2 or 3.  Should be interesting

653218[/snapback]

I agree. We can get a nice combination no matter what decision is made. We don't have to go in one particular area first, be it safety, OL, or DL. We need a big run stuffer, and that can be found anywhere in the first three rounds. As I've said before, Ted Washington was a free agent acquisition who some said was injury plagued and an underachiever when we got him and Pat Williams was undrafted. Obviously, you can find good players to stuff the run......if you have a quality staff that can evaluate.

I'm sorry I know Buffalo is not aiming for a QB due to the fact that they have like 5 or 6 on the roster, but if Buffalo gets a chance at Vince Young they have to take him, the only possible exception is if they were to take AJ Hawk over him. Can you imaging Takeo Spikes on one end and AJ Hawk on the other, thats what I call a sick Line Backer squad! I think the big question is going to be who will the Raiders Draft, that will determine Buffalo's fate in the draft.

And as for playing LT, Mel Kiper was talking OTs on ESPNews two days ago and said that Justice will have no problem making the jump due to the fact Matt Leinart was left-handed so Justice has oodles of experience protecting the blind side of a QB.  Kiper said that most teams regard him as a LT anyways because of that fact, and because Leinart isnt exactly the most mobile QB around so Justice had his work cut out for him a majority of last season.

653224[/snapback]

"Protecting the blind side of a left handed QB" is the lamest possible argument out there.

How does which hand the QB throw with change the fact that most premier pass rushers line up across from the LT (not the RT). The best OL plays LT in order to take on these elite pass rushers. The LT needs to be much more athletic in order to match the speed and moves of these elite defenders.

Teams do not play their best OL as RT. You may want to ask yourself why Justice started his career at RT when the right handed Carson Palmer was playing QB.

652993[/snapback]

I have only one main issue with picking Justice early in the 1st, and that is that we drafted a "franchise tackle" with the 4th overall selection a few years ago, Mike Williams, and look where he is now! Off the roster! I agree with the statement about how we desperately need to fix the O-line, but I don't want another huge bust!!

Fans should be a little bit worried about getting another Bust like Mike Williams with the #8 pick, but that could happen at any pick in the draft. (it just gets magnified the lower you draft)

Mike Williams bust was because of a player who has the talent and just decided he would rather collect the check the play to his abilities, and scouting department that did not see any signs of this happening out of his college career (or a GM willing to gamble and take that risk)

"Protecting the blind side of a left handed QB" is the lamest possible argument out there.

How does which hand the QB throw with change the fact that most premier pass rushers line up across from the LT (not the RT). The best OL plays LT in order to take on these elite pass rushers. The LT needs to be much more athletic in order to match the speed and moves of these elite defenders.

Teams do not play their best OL as RT. You  may want to ask yourself why Justice started his career at RT when the right handed Carson Palmer was playing QB.

653853[/snapback]

To a degree, you are right, but I do believe things are changing, unless we no longer consider guys like Julius Peppers, Michael Strahan, Jevon Kearse (especially during his dominant days in Tennessee), Bryce Fisher, or Adewale Ogunleye "premier pass rushers". I think most teams realize that these guys have the size to hold up against the run yet have the speed to beat the bigger, slower (in most cases) RTs off the edge.

Justice might be ok, but not at #8.

Don't discount the 'Ngata doesn't fit our defensive philosophy' as just a smokescreen.

I still would prefer to MOVE DOWN. THis is a pretty nice draft, and trading our #8 for example to denver for 2 picks would be excellent.

Why no love for vince young? I don't get it. Didn't anyone watch the national championship game? Wasn't that enough? He was like a man among boys. Unbelievable athleticism. At worst, he would be a half back?

Then again, he could turn out to be a dud. Alas, such is the NFL draft.

Why no love for vince young?  I don't get it.  Didn't anyone watch the national championship game?  Wasn't that enough?  He was like a man among boys.  Unbelievable athleticism.  At worst, he would be a half back? 

Then again, he could turn out to be a dud.  Alas, such is the NFL draft.

654405[/snapback]

i love Vince Young. Can he play defensive tackle?