Are we actually doing any good in IRAQ?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We got people doing TDY's there all the time... Right now one of us is in NOLA helping out (There is only 13 people here, so we have to rotate tours to keep our mission here going).

Things out of Iraq... I HEAR are grim... I haven't heard not one good thing that we are doing first hand (outside agency published stuff).

Everybody... THAT IS EVERYBODY that returns that I met (my supervisors and one reservist at my site alone)... Just shake their head and say "Don't ask."

I am not saying all is bad... We gotta be making life liveable there... I just get the image that it is a real cluster eff in many ways.

And by no means are these people anti-Iraq... They went there in the first place to help voluntarily... From all walks of life and political beliefs.

Like nice roads in West Virginia... Nice roads!

:):)

Sure. Pick a location and start a thread. Hot topics are Iraq, Iran and North Korea, but you can bring up Africa if you like. Iraq is already in this thread, but you can start a new one if there is something different you want to discuss.

651784[/snapback]

You forgot the country run by the Bush soulmate, Putin.

I think we'd be doing more good in Iraq if we air-dropped pallets of water on their heads...

655199[/snapback]

We can start by dropping water-logged school buses.

This is a serious question, as I am not as politcally saavy as all of you..all you hear about is how the Iraqi's hate us and dying soliders....my question is..are we doing anything worth losing all of these soldiers and spending all of this $$ on what seems like an impossible situation..Thanks

651340[/snapback]

I talked to a guy who had returned, and he said they love our troops.

I don't believe anything the media reports, as they choose to make news, instead of report it....something they DONT have the right to do.

We can start by dropping water-logged school buses.

655208[/snapback]

if we want to make them a democracy, they should start the way we did, with a Thanksgiving. What do we serve at Thanksgiving? Thats right, turkey.

I propose that we send Les Nesman over as a gesture of good faith and drop frozen turkeys all over Iraq. Maybe we'll take out some terrorists along the way, and those that do survive will be grateful to us for delivering more food than theyve probably ever seen.

I talked to a guy who had returned, and he said they love our troops.

I don't believe anything the media reports, as they choose to make news, instead of report it....something they DONT have the right to do.

655982[/snapback]

I've talked to a few guys who've returned...they say differing things, which leads me to believe that Iraq is...well...diverse. And complex. And maybe can't be summed up in a 30-second sound byte, be it broadcast by the Fox Propaganda Network or the CNN Counter-Propaganda network.

I've talked to a few guys who've returned...they say differing things, which leads me to believe that Iraq is...well...diverse.  And complex.  And maybe can't be summed up in a 30-second sound byte, be it broadcast by the Fox Propaganda Network or the CNN Counter-Propaganda network.

656022[/snapback]

Exactly.

Everything else has a Monday morning QB feel to it.

The fact is, the farm has been bought.

I was against the decision to invade iraq.... My reason, I thought we should have pounded the terrorist in afghanistan and for an all-out get bin laden.... Now that were in iraq, getting saddam and his bathist party removed is good for the people of iraq,for the U.S. only time will tell.......Although I did buy thomas friedmans theory of democracy in iraq will change the mideast, and the end result will benefit the U.S.........To bad rumsfeld is still running the defence dept., he should have been kicked to the curb, after I heard how zinni questioned his decisions, its amazing he is still secretary of defence...At this point I hope for the best,and pulling out now, maybe a worse decision then going in.....

I've talked to a few guys who've returned...they say differing things, which leads me to believe that Iraq is...well...diverse.  And complex.  And maybe can't be summed up in a 30-second sound byte, be it broadcast by the Fox Propaganda Network or the CNN Counter-Propaganda network.

656022[/snapback]

This link will give you a small idea of how "news" is generated

http://www.nationalreview.com/ledeen/ledeen200604070521.asp

This link will give you a small idea of how "news" is generated

http://www.nationalreview.com/ledeen/ledeen200604070521.asp

657042[/snapback]

Part of the incompetent handling of P.R. by the Bush Admin and military, the military was prepared with notes of the upcoming b.s. campaign, why didn't they respond immediately and effectively. They should have had someone looking for a setup P.R. event and had someone there countering it, then prior to it or as it was happening, had a p.r. setup nearby providing photos and notes for reporters.

With quick breaking news, the media has little chance to verify facts and unless the military each times gives evidence as to the falsehood of the other sides claims then the press will tend to believe them.

Kinda like the Dems response to why it was necessary to invade Iraq in the first place. Little counter evidence was provide until it was too late and everyone started believing the President...in a vacuum the one with the loudest voice will be heard.

I'll tack this WaPo article onto this thread, because it deals with Iraq and the above-mentioned propaganda.

Military Plays Up Role of Zarqawi

The gist of the article points to a psy-ops program aimed at US citizens to enhance the idea that Al-Qaeda is instrumental in the insurgency.

(emphasis mine)

The U.S. military is conducting a propaganda campaign to magnify the role of the leader of al-Qaeda in Iraq, according to internal military documents and officers familiar with the program. The effort has raised his profile in a way that some military intelligence officials believe may have overstated his importance and helped the Bush administration tie the war to the organization responsible for the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

[...]

For the past two years, U.S. military leaders have been using Iraqi media and other outlets in Baghdad to publicize Zarqawi's role in the insurgency. The documents explicitly list the "U.S. Home Audience" as one of the targets of a broader propaganda campaign.

Some senior intelligence officers believe Zarqawi's role may have been overemphasized by the propaganda campaign, which has included leaflets, radio and television broadcasts, Internet postings and at least one leak to an American journalist. Although Zarqawi and other foreign insurgents in Iraq have conducted deadly bombing attacks, they remain "a very small part of the actual numbers," Col. Derek Harvey, who served as a military intelligence officer in Iraq and then was one of the top officers handling Iraq intelligence issues on the staff of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told an Army meeting at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., last summer.

In a transcript of the meeting, Harvey said, "Our own focus on Zarqawi has enlarged his caricature, if you will -- made him more important than he really is, in some ways."

"The long-term threat is not Zarqawi or religious extremists, but these former regime types and their friends," said Harvey, who did not return phone calls seeking comment on his remarks.

[...]

Another briefing slide states that after U.S. commanders ordered that the atrocities of Saddam Hussein's government be publicized, U.S. psychological operations soldiers produced a video disc that not only was widely disseminated inside Iraq, but also was "seen on Fox News."

U.S. military policy is not to aim psychological operations at Americans, said Army Col. James A. Treadwell, who commanded the U.S. military psyops unit in Iraq in 2003. "It is ingrained in U.S.: You don't psyop Americans. We just don't do it," said Treadwell. He said he left Iraq before the Zarqawi program began but was later told about it.

I love the part where they mention Fox News. It's a good thing this administration has such an honest and forthright track record with the american people, otherwise I might feel used.

I'll tack this WaPo article onto this thread, because it deals with Iraq and the above-mentioned propaganda.

The gist of the article points to a psy-ops program aimed at US citizens to enhance the idea that Al-Qaeda is instrumental in the insurgency.

I love the part where they mention Fox News.  It's a good thing this administration has such an honest and forthright track record with the american people, otherwise I might feel used.

657509[/snapback]

If FoxSnooze were actually a news network, I might be more concerned about that. :D

I love the part where they mention Fox News.  It's a good thing this administration has such an honest and forthright track record with the american people, otherwise I might feel used.

657509[/snapback]

I fail to see any problem here. That is also not the "gist" of the article.

I fail to see any problem here. That is also not the "gist" of the article.

657532[/snapback]

From the first paragraph and the third:

The U.S. military is conducting a propaganda campaign to magnify the role of the leader of al-Qaeda in Iraq, according to internal military documents and officers familiar with the program. The effort has raised his profile in a way that some military intelligence officials believe may have overstated his importance and helped the Bush administration tie the war to the organization responsible for the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

[...]

The documents explicitly list the "U.S. Home Audience" as one of the targets of a broader propaganda campaign.

And here is what I described:

There are multiple examples in the piece stating that the military used the press to do just what was stated. They even used the term "psy-ops." I suppose I could rephrase it:

The gist of the article points to a psy-ops program aimed at US citizens and Iraqis to enhance the idea that Al-Qaeda is instrumental in the insurgency.

I do see a problem with it, because it's another half-truth used to drum up support for their war.