Is Winston Justice the best pick for us at #8?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Technique is key. Size and strength doesn't mean success.

Like another poster said. Pro Days and combines can be very deceiving.

650588[/snapback]

I seem to remember a certain Mike Williams putting on an impressive display at his pro day workout.

He knew when to exert himself to get the $$$.

You're joking right, RTs can always be moved to LT. That isn't an issue we should concern ourselves with.

650703[/snapback]

Yeah it is, If you have ever played organized football and shifted from one side of the line to other it is different, especially against top athletes in the NFL it is at least a one year learning period. You are seeing the field and blitzes from a different angle not to mention that in our case he will be protecting our QBs blind side. So it is an issue.If we draft him he will not start right away at LT. And form what I have read Peters is our RT, which leads me to believe Huff is our pick.

yes. we need a stud LT. Hopefully Justice can  make the move from RT from LT.

650577[/snapback]

sure he can-

just like Mike Williams did.

We all know that he only playing RT to protect the blind side of left handed QB :doh:

Yeah, but he played RT with a lefty QB, blocking his back side.  He was essentially a LT in a conventional lineup with a righty QB.

650654[/snapback]

and Mike Williams "was essntially a LT in a conventional lineup with a righty QB". Truth be told Justice played RT in 2002 when a right handed QB named Carson Palmer was at SC proving the handiness of the QB behind him no baring on him playing RT. I don't think Justice is a bad player but he is a RT and the only way I see drafting him is by trading down and if we're looking to replace Jason Peters.

certainly a position where we need someone.  8 seems a little high, though.

650659[/snapback]

At some point I think the Bills need to get their man. Trading down isn't easy and you could lose the guy you want. The Bengals took Levi Jones(or whatever his name) at 10 from AZ State. Everyone was all over them for taking him to high...He's started every game since then and is one of the better young tackles in the league.

I seem to remember a certain Mike Williams putting on an impressive display at his pro day workout.

He knew when to exert himself to get the $$$.

650761[/snapback]

Mike William was a bully in college. Those guys never make in the pro's. That's what makes guys like Tony Mandrich a joke and Anthony Munoz the best ever. Technique, feet mixed with strength and size. You can't Bully NFL players their either to big or they'll run around you. My guess is that Williams is cut by Jaskonville before training camp is over.

At some point I think the Bills need to get their man.  Trading down isn't easy and you could lose the guy you want.  The Bengals took Levi Jones(or whatever his name) at 10 from AZ State.  Everyone was all over them for taking him to high...He's started every game since then and is one of the better young tackles in the league.

650981[/snapback]

x-actly

if justice has a good shot at being a 10 year nfl starter then him at 8 is no reach at all.

we could have

justice/peters gandy whoever/preston villarial/preston peters/justice

as our line, much better in at least 3 places from the start of last year.

we could also call them the justice league

I think if we draft him this year, he'll learn the position behind Gandy a while.

650667[/snapback]

The only reason that Justice wouldn't take over right away is that Pat Ruell was his offensive line coach. Coach McNalley will have to break him down and start all over again.

He, of all people, understands that you can win and win big with troubled talent.

650616[/snapback]

I agree that he's been pummelled like a rag doll in the Super Bowls, but what gives you the idea that he's learned anything from it? Remember, he's 0-4 in the big game. 0. Zero.

I think we have to back off the Mike Williams worries. He was a bust, and we move on. He wasn't a bust because he moved from RT to LT. He wasn't a bust because he is from Texas. He was a bust because he didn't turn into a good football player, which it sure seemed like he could have.

I wouldn't mind if Justice turns out to be the best player available, and we pick him #8, but it doesn't seem likley. From what I know at this point as a fan, I don't think he is as good a talent or football player as Davis or Huff, but could move ahead of Bunkley and Ngata on our list, and be reason to trade down too if the right deal shows up.

All things being equal I would love to draft an o-lineman, but we can't let that cloud our judgement and pick an inferior o-lineman over trading down or picking a more talented player

I agree that he's been pummelled like a rag doll in the Super Bowls, but what gives you the idea that he's learned anything from it?  Remember, he's 0-4 in the big game.  0.  Zero.

651039[/snapback]

hate to bring this up, but if scott f'ing norwood had made the biggest f'ing kick of his life - as he should have given that it was the biggest f'ing kick of his miserable life - levy would have won the super bowl.

At first I hated this, but now I think I would love it. We need to build our team from the lines, and having two you tackles like Justice and Peters could be big. Both are extremely athletic and if they can perform well our offense will be that much better.

Justice's negatives are his off the field issues, including soliciting a prostitute, and also brandishing a pellet gun in front of a fellow student.  His maturity is a question mark and that makes him a risk because you don't know how he will handle getting millions. 

650616[/snapback]

You make an eloquent case for Justice, but the negatives you've pointed out will probably outweigh the positives in Marv's eyes. I remember Marv talking about how as a head coach he had a disagreement with someone in the front office about whether to draft a great athlete with character concerns. Marv got his way, and the great athlete with character concerns didn't get drafted. The character concern guy wound up in jail, and the Bills got Shane Conlan instead.

Do you think this experience reinforced the importance Marv places on character? I do. Everything you said about the Bills becoming a downfield passing team that absolutely has to have a great o-line is dead-on accurate. But I think Marv is going to try to find a way to build an offensive line with good character guys only.