The only player we trade to move up in the draft

Forget about Clements being involved in any trade to move up in the draft. IF we were to trade Clements it would be for a 1st rd pick ONlY. More realistically would be to stay OR move back in the 1st rd. I, personally, would like and believe that we trade down and accumalate more picks. Looking at what is about to transpire, with Moulds being traded for Houston's 4th rd pick (#98), we would have MONSTER picks. Here's how it would look.

1st rd-#8

2nd rd-#42

3rd rd-#70 and #73

4th rd-#98 and #105

This is without trading Clements or trading down in the 1st rd. I don't think, nor want, us to trade Clements. Eliminating Moulds from our salary cap, I would like to see us sign Clements to a long term contract. This last week, especially, teams have been re-signing their own FAs a priority instead of overpaying the FAs. We need to do the same and I think we will. I do want us to trade down in the 1st rd, hopefully with Minnesota. If we were to trade in the vicinity of Minnesota's pick, then I would like us to select either OT Jonathan Scott or LB Chad Greenway. With our 2nd rd pick I would like to see us select S Darnell Bing. Either 3rd rder should and could fetch us DT Barry Cofield. Cleveland WILL take him in the 3rd rd, he's a local boy, and there is quite a buzz about him in the state of Ohio.

Why comprise this many draft picks when we have SO many needs? I don't know Losman's cap hits after this year but they have to be better than this year's. We have adequate QBs on the roster and many prime draft picks at our disposal. No one EXPECTS too much success this year with our current roster, but if we have to take more of our lumps, let us incorporate younger blood.

Forget about Clements being involved in any trade to move up in the draft. IF we were to trade Clements it would be for a 1st rd pick ONlY. More realistically would be to stay OR move back in the 1st rd. I, personally, would like and believe that we trade down and accumalate more picks. Looking at what is about to transpire, with Moulds being traded for Houston's 4th rd pick (#98), we would have MONSTER picks. Here's how it would look.

1st rd-#8

2nd rd-#42

3rd rd-#70 and #73

4th rd-#98 and #105

This is without trading Clements or trading down in the 1st rd. I don't think, nor want, us to trade Clements. Eliminating Moulds from our salary cap, I would like to see us sign Clements to a long term contract. This last week, especially, teams have been re-signing their own FAs a priority instead of overpaying the FAs. We need to do the same and I think we will. I do want us to trade down in the 1st rd, hopefully with Minnesota. If we were to trade in the vicinity of Minnesota's pick, then I would like us to select either OT Jonathan Scott or LB Chad Greenway. With our 2nd rd pick I would like to see us select S Darnell Bing. Either 3rd rder should and could fetch us DT Barry Cofield. Cleveland WILL take him in the 3rd rd, he's a local boy, and there is quite a buzz about him in the state of Ohio.

Why comprise this many draft picks when we have SO many needs? I don't know Losman's cap hits after this year but they have to be better than this year's. We have adequate QBs on the roster and many prime draft picks at our disposal. No one EXPECTS too much success this year with our current roster, but if we have to take more of our lumps, let us incorporate younger blood.

650123[/snapback]

Good post. Trading JP would probably eliminate the possibility of re-signing Nate in terms of cap space, or at least hamper the odds of being able to do so.

Also, tell me more about Scott, OK? :lol:

I predicted him in the 2nd rd but I don't think that he will last, he seems to be moving up rapidly, some mock drafts have Dallas taking him with their 18th pick overall. I hope that you enjoy.

Texas OT Jonathan Scott 6'6 3/8" | 316 | 40 time: 5.31

Strengths:

Has excellent size with long arms and the frame to add even more weight...Lithe and very athletic with good quickness...Has tremendous feet...Moves extremely well and gets to the second level...Smart player with top intangibles...Has a lot of experience and has been very durable...Helped pave the way for one of the most productive offenses in the nation throughout his career...Still has a lot of upside.

Weaknesses:

Suffers from bouts of inconsistency...An underachiever who doesn't always play up to his talent level...Needs to work on a refining his technique as he will overextend and get sloppy with his footwork at times...Needs to hit the weights and get stronger...Not very physical...Doesn't always finish & may not be nasty.

Notes:

Father Ray enjoyed a short stint with the New York Jets...In terms of measurables and physical tools this guy is the total package and the majority of his faults are correctable...Has the potential and ability to be a top left tackle in the NFL.

I predicted him in the 2nd rd but I don't think that he will last, he seems to be moving up rapidly, some mock drafts have Dallas taking him with their 18th pick overall. I hope that you enjoy.

Strengths:

Has excellent size with long arms and the frame to add even more weight...Lithe and very athletic with good quickness...Has tremendous feet...Moves extremely well and gets to the second level...Smart player with top intangibles...Has a lot of experience and has been very durable...Helped pave the way for one of the most productive offenses in the nation throughout his career...Still has a lot of upside.

Weaknesses:

Suffers from bouts of inconsistency...An underachiever who doesn't always play up to his talent level...Needs to work on a refining his technique as he will overextend and get sloppy with his footwork at times...Needs to hit the weights and get stronger...Not very physical...Doesn't always finish & may not be nasty.

Notes:

Father Ray enjoyed a short stint with the New York Jets...In terms of measurables and physical tools this guy is the total package and the majority of his faults are correctable...Has the potential and ability to be a top left tackle in the NFL.

650140[/snapback]

He sounds good. I wish I could have seen more of him. I wouldn't complain about Greenway either on a tradedown.

Weaknesses:

650140[/snapback]

sounds like another Texas o-lineman that spent a few years in buffalo. :lol:

sounds like another Texas o-lineman that spent a few years in buffalo.  :lol:

650191[/snapback]

Yep, sounds like John Fina too, yet another big puss.

Just say no to burning a Day 1 pick on Scott, Eric Winston, or any other girlie-men OL players... and just say yes to drafting some mean pricks like Mangold & Joseph.

In all fairness the website, which I'll provide, is critical of just about every player. I cross reference and watch each player that appears like a valid candidate for us to draft. It's too bad that the responses only focused on the weaknesses of the above player and nothing mentioned of his strengthes and notes. Anyways, here's the website.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/

1st rd-#8

2nd rd-#42

3rd rd-#70 and #73

4th rd-#98 and #105

650123[/snapback]

you must be the new foot ball god you seem to know so !@#$ing much

In all fairness the website, which I'll provide, is critical of just about every player. I cross reference and watch each player that appears like a valid candidate for us to draft. It's too bad that the responses only focused on the weaknesses of the above player and nothing mentioned of his strengthes and notes. Anyways, here's the website.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/

650203[/snapback]

Unfortunately, what the website or draft "gurus" can not measure is the maturity, desire and work ethic of these future pros. Hard to tell how some people will react when so much money is given to them.

Yep, sounds like John Fina too, yet another big puss.

Just say no to burning a Day 1 pick on Scott,  Eric Winston, or any other girlie-men OL players... and just say yes to drafting some mean pricks like Mangold & Joseph.

650197[/snapback]

I second that emphatically, also guys like Ryan O'callaghan and Jeremey Trueblood

This is what I got from Jon Scott:

Jon Scott T Texas

Position: OT

Height: 6' 7"

School: Univ. of Texas

Weight: 309 lbs

General Variables: 32 out of 40

Position Variables: 31 out of 40

Size: 8

Run blocking: 9

Strength: 8

Pass blocking: 7

Speed: 8

Footwork/Technique: 8

Athleticism: 8

Attitude: 7

Positives:

Jon Scott has upside, upside, upside. Scott is a supreme athlete who just happens to be a left tackle. For his size, he’s an awesome run blocker. He’s long, with a very lean body, great muscle development, and he’s able to get himself in position to make plays that bigger players couldn’t. Scott is very strong for his size and has room to grow. He’s a smart kid and a smart player and it’s evident watching him play; he’s almost never out of position. Scott is great at picking up stunts and blitzes, and in my best broken record mode, is athletic enough to make plays at the second level that so many can’t. He uses his speed and technique, where some players rely solely on power. Scott is a pure LT prospect — I can easily see him protecting an NFL QB’s blind side and blowing holes for a RB for years.

Negatives:

Scott isn’t the biggest kid. At times, he can be overpowered, particularly in the passing game. He is a long athlete, so against bigger edge rushers, he needs to keep his knees bent and his pad level low, to get his center of gravity down and avoid being overtaken. There isn’t much negative to say about Scott, because for any flaws or lapses he has shown in his game to this point, he’s still young and growing and developing as a player.

Overall:

I had to include Jon in my profiles, and this high, because I’ve watched him play for 2 years now and I am so very impressed with his skills, not to mention that by all accounts being a quality young man and a fine example of a student athlete. He’s a technician at LT, so considering he’s only got two years of experience to this point, I really look forward to seeing just how good he can be. Do I think Jon will turn pro this year? Probably not. He’s part of one of the best young offensive lines in the country, and in a crowded OT class, playing his senior year could be just what he needs. Scott is experienced — 20 career starts in his first two years and he’ll add another 12 or 13 after this season, so if he wanted to make the jump, no one could really blame him. If Jon steps his game up this year, like I suspect he will, a lot of draft folks will start putting him where I have him already.

Games that matter:

10/9 Oklahoma and 11/6 Oklahoma St. — Texas would certainly have a schedule built for an undefeated season if not for these two hiccups. The Jon Scott/Dan Cody Matchup will be a great test for Scott to show he can protect his athletic QB, as well as bust big holes for Cedric Benson. Oklahoma State plays that funky 4-2-5 and blitz from odd spots, so this game will showcase Scott’s smarts, as well as his ability to get to the second level and make blocks on athletic members of the secondary.

Final word:

SUPERSTAR — Jon Scott is poised to move into that upper echelon of college football players this year. Having guys like Vince Young, Cedric Benson, and Selvin Young makes what Jon does very big deal. When you have big stats, scouts look at the big uglies who make it happen.

Jonathan Scott, 6-6 305, Texas

John is a young, talented tackle that is still developing. If he continues to get better and returns to Texas for his senior year he has the potential to be a top five pick in the 2006 draft. If he declares for the 2005 draft he should end up as an early second or third round pick. Scott enters his third season with the Longhorns after starting all 13 games at left tackle as a sophomore. Scott was named UT's Most Improved Offensive Player in 2003. Jon paved the way for the high-powered explosive offensive attack of Big 12 Offensive Freshman of the year Vince Young and UT Offensive co-MVP running back Cedric Benson. Very quick, he has been clocked at 4.90 in the forty. He comes from a strong family and has outstanding character. Very smart young man, he graduated high school with top honors ranking 26th out of a class of 263, he has made the Dean's list every semester at Texas and will graduate in May of 2005. Jon has great feet, slides smoothly and has a powerful punch while run blocking. A lot of RB Cedric Bensons' long runs were sprung from key blocks by Scott. Scott was highly recruited out of high school and had 41 full scholarship offers: OU, Florida State, Florida, Texas A&M, UCLA, and California just to name a few, but he choose Texas because he really liked the coaching staff down there. He is a very versatile athlete and can even long snap. He had a bad game against Texas in the 2004 Red River Shoot out, and has struggled a little this year with the speed rushers.

Jonathan Scott

Position: Offensive Tackle

School: Texas

Height: 6-7

Weight: 310

40-Yard Dash: 5.30 (EST)

Positives:

Jonathan Scott is a very experienced (RS Senior) and athletic tackle. He has ideal size and moves well for his big frame. Scott has started since his freshman year and excels in both the run and pass game. He has a huge wingspan and has playing experience at both the left and right tackle positions.

Negatives:

Scott needs to work on his footwork and overall understanding of the game. His style of play is questionable when transitioning to the next level.

Overview:

Jonathan Scott is a well experienced tackle with countless honors from Texas, Big 12, and nationally. He will never be a dominating franchise left tackle, but is very reliable and durable option. With the right teaching, Scott could become a regular starter in the NFL for years to come.

Jonathan Scott OT 6’7 310 Texas

By: Robert Davis

Jonathan Scott is the latest in the Longhorn tackle tradition to be a prime NFL prospect. He moved into the right tackle spot as a freshman and has been a starter since. He shifted over to left tackle as a sophomore, and has remained there the past three years. Scott was named All Big 12 as a sophomore and again as a junior.

Scott is the prototype tackle prospect. He’s tall, athletic, has very long arms, and is strong. He has the athleticism and footwork to play on the left side, and the strength to play the right side. Scott’s arms are very long, which will help him keep defenders at bay in the NFL. There really is not anything he is lacking physically as it projects to the next level.

The only thing Scott may lack is ideal aggressiveness. He’ll be passive at times and won’t finish off blocks. He could dominate all the time if he displayed the constant aggression on the field.

Even with all the tackle talent in this year’s draft, Scott is a lock for the first round. He has all the talent and has had success on the field, and could hear his name called in the Top 10 with impressive workouts. He will battle Eric Winston for the second tackle selected. Leonard Davis and Mike Williams are recent Texas tackles selected in the Top five, and Scott is vying to match their selections, but probably won’t go quite as high.

Jonathan Scott

Class 2006

Height 607.0

Weight 310

Speed N/A

Position OT

Scouting Report

Jonathan Scott was a standout at Carter HS in Dallas, Texas before joining the Longhorns in 2001. He has manned the left tackle position for Texas for the past three seasons and anchored one of the best running games in the country. Jon also has NFL bloodlines. His father, Ray Scott, played for the New York Jets and Prairie A&M as a tight end. Jonathan will be following in his father’s footsteps with a successful senior year.

Scott has ideal size for a NFL tackle. He has quick feet and he utilizes them well in pass protection. However, his main strengths are his hands and arms, and he really uses them to deliver a strong punch off the ball, neutralizing his opponent in the run game. He takes defenders where he wants, and drives them into the ground with solid leverage. He competes from whistle to whistle, and gives solid effort consistently. Another strength is Jon's good speed, allowing him to operate on the second level against linebackers. He could still improve on his recognition of stunts and blitzes. He has been a very durable starter for Texas, missing only one game his second year due to injury, and starting the last 47 games in a row. Jonathan is very bright on and off the field, and very much a character guy.

2006 NFL Draft Outlook

The 2006 Draft is very deep at offensive tackle, and Scott is in that top group. Other tackles in this draft maybe taken before Scott for various reasons, but he is about as "can't miss" as it gets on Draft Day. He also has the ability to deep snap if needed. He is a solid prospect that will be an anchor and a leader on the next level, and should be selected in the late first to early second area due to the depth at OT in the 2006 NFL Draft.

NFL Comparison

Robert Gallery

This is what I got from Jon Scott:

Jon Scott T Texas

Position: OT

Height: 6' 7"

School: Univ. of Texas

Weight: 309 lbs

General Variables: 32 out of 40

Position Variables: 31 out of 40

Size: 8

Run blocking: 9

Strength: 8

Pass blocking: 7

Speed: 8

Footwork/Technique: 8

Athleticism: 8

Attitude: 7

Positives:

Jon Scott has upside, upside, upside.  Scott is a supreme athlete who just happens to be a left tackle.  For his size, he’s an awesome run blocker.  He’s long, with a very lean body, great muscle development, and he’s able to get himself in position to make plays that bigger players couldn’t.  Scott is very strong for his size and has room to grow.  He’s a smart kid and a smart player and it’s evident watching him play; he’s almost never out of position.  Scott is great at picking up stunts and blitzes, and in my best broken record mode, is athletic enough to make plays at the second level that so many can’t.  He uses his speed and technique, where some players rely solely on power.  Scott is a pure LT prospect — I can easily see him protecting an NFL QB’s blind side and blowing holes for a RB for years.

Negatives:

Scott isn’t the biggest kid.  At times, he can be overpowered, particularly in the passing game.  He is a long athlete, so against bigger edge rushers, he needs to keep his knees bent and his pad level low, to get his center of gravity down and avoid being overtaken.  There isn’t much negative to say about Scott, because for any flaws or lapses he has shown in his game to this point, he’s still young and growing and developing as a player.

Overall:

I had to include Jon in my profiles, and this high, because I’ve watched him play for 2 years now and I am so very impressed with his skills, not to mention that by all accounts being a quality young man and a fine example of a student athlete.  He’s a technician at LT, so considering he’s only got two years of experience to this point, I really look forward to seeing just how good he can be.  Do I think Jon will turn pro this year?  Probably not.  He’s part of one of the best young offensive lines in the country, and in a crowded OT class, playing his senior year could be just what he needs.  Scott is experienced — 20 career starts in his first two years and he’ll add another 12 or 13 after this season, so if he wanted to make the jump, no one could really blame him.  If Jon steps his game up this year, like I suspect he will, a lot of draft folks will start putting him where I have him already.

Games that matter:

10/9 Oklahoma and 11/6 Oklahoma St. — Texas would certainly have a schedule built for an undefeated season if not for these two hiccups.  The Jon Scott/Dan Cody Matchup will be a great test for Scott to show he can protect his athletic QB, as well as bust big holes for Cedric Benson.  Oklahoma State plays that funky 4-2-5 and blitz from odd spots, so this game will showcase Scott’s smarts, as well as his ability to get to the second level and make blocks on athletic members of the secondary.

Final word:

SUPERSTAR — Jon Scott is poised to move into that upper echelon of college football players this year.  Having guys like Vince Young, Cedric Benson, and Selvin Young makes what Jon does very big deal.  When you have big stats, scouts look at the big uglies who make it happen.

Jonathan Scott, 6-6 305, Texas

John is a young, talented tackle that is still developing. If he continues to get better and returns to Texas for his senior year he has the potential to be a top five pick in the 2006 draft. If he declares for the 2005 draft he should end up as an early second or third round pick. Scott enters his third season with the Longhorns after starting all 13 games at left tackle as a sophomore. Scott was named UT's Most Improved Offensive Player in 2003. Jon paved the way for the high-powered explosive offensive attack of Big 12 Offensive Freshman of the year Vince Young and UT Offensive co-MVP running back Cedric Benson. Very quick, he has been clocked at 4.90 in the forty. He comes from a strong family and has outstanding character. Very smart young man, he graduated high school with top honors ranking 26th out of a class of 263, he has made the Dean's list every semester at Texas and will graduate in May of 2005. Jon has great feet, slides smoothly and has a powerful punch while run blocking. A lot of RB Cedric Bensons' long runs were sprung from key blocks by Scott. Scott was highly recruited out of high school and had 41 full scholarship offers: OU, Florida State, Florida, Texas A&M, UCLA, and California just to name a few, but he choose Texas because he really liked the coaching staff down there. He is a very versatile athlete and can even long snap. He had a bad game against Texas in the 2004 Red River Shoot out, and has struggled a little this year with the speed rushers.

Jonathan Scott

Position: Offensive Tackle

School: Texas

Height: 6-7

Weight: 310

40-Yard Dash: 5.30 (EST)

Positives:

Jonathan Scott is a very experienced (RS Senior) and athletic tackle. He has ideal size and moves well for his big frame. Scott has started since his freshman year and excels in both the run and pass game. He has a huge wingspan and has playing experience at both the left and right tackle positions.

Negatives:

Scott needs to work on his footwork and overall understanding of the game. His style of play is questionable when transitioning to the next level.

Overview:

Jonathan Scott is a well experienced tackle with countless honors from Texas, Big 12, and nationally. He will never be a dominating franchise left tackle, but is very reliable and durable option. With the right teaching, Scott could become a regular starter in the NFL for years to come.

Jonathan Scott OT 6’7 310 Texas

By: Robert Davis

Jonathan Scott is the latest in the Longhorn tackle tradition to be a prime NFL prospect. He moved into the right tackle spot as a freshman and has been a starter since. He shifted over to left tackle as a sophomore, and has remained there the past three years. Scott was named All Big 12 as a sophomore and again as a junior.

Scott is the prototype tackle prospect. He’s tall, athletic, has very long arms, and is strong. He has the athleticism and footwork to play on the left side, and the strength to play the right side. Scott’s arms are very long, which will help him keep defenders at bay in the NFL. There really is not anything he is lacking physically as it projects to the next level.

The only thing Scott may lack is ideal aggressiveness. He’ll be passive at times and won’t finish off blocks. He could dominate all the time if he displayed the constant aggression on the field.

Even with all the tackle talent in this year’s draft, Scott is a lock for the first round. He has all the talent and has had success on the field, and could hear his name called in the Top 10 with impressive workouts. He will battle Eric Winston for the second tackle selected. Leonard Davis and Mike Williams are recent Texas tackles selected in the Top five, and Scott is vying to match their selections, but probably won’t go quite as high.

Jonathan Scott

Class 2006

Height 607.0

Weight 310

Speed N/A

Position OT

Scouting Report

Jonathan Scott was a standout at Carter HS in Dallas, Texas before joining the Longhorns in 2001. He has manned the left tackle position for Texas for the past three seasons and anchored one of the best running games in the country. Jon also has NFL bloodlines. His father, Ray Scott, played for the New York Jets and Prairie A&M as a tight end. Jonathan will be following in his father’s footsteps with a successful senior year.

Scott has ideal size for a NFL tackle. He has quick feet and he utilizes them well in pass protection. However, his main strengths are his hands and arms, and he really uses them to deliver a strong punch off the ball, neutralizing his opponent in the run game. He takes defenders where he wants, and drives them into the ground with solid leverage. He competes from whistle to whistle, and gives solid effort consistently. Another strength is Jon's good speed, allowing him to operate on the second level against linebackers. He could still improve on his recognition of stunts and blitzes. He has been a very durable starter for Texas, missing only one game his second year due to injury, and starting the last 47 games in a row. Jonathan is very bright on and off the field, and very much a character guy.

2006 NFL Draft Outlook

The 2006 Draft is very deep at offensive tackle, and Scott is in that top group. Other tackles in this draft maybe taken before Scott for various reasons, but he is about as "can't miss" as it gets on Draft Day. He also has the ability to deep snap if needed. He is a solid prospect that will be an anchor and a leader on the next level, and should be selected in the late first to early second area due to the depth at OT in the 2006 NFL Draft.

NFL Comparison

Robert Gallery

650422[/snapback]

wow i needed a nap after reading this, just eneter the link next time it wont take you half the day to plagarize.

Is Lienart a "character" type player? I think so and could be a guy that the old Marv & Jauron Show would really consider making a move for. This won't happen but would Moulds, Losman, our #8 and the #70 (Titans' 3rd rder that they traded to us) be fair compensation to put us in position to draft Leinart with the #3 pick overall with the Titans? The salary cost would actually favor us. The cap savings with Moulds would more than offset the cap loss of Losman and not having to pay a early 3rd rder would be even more of a savings that we could use towards signing such a high profile prospect. Of course this whole scenario is complete BS but I do just like to make myself think.

Here's how the recap would look.

We move up 5 picks to be in position to draft a high profile prospect, we eliminate a malcontent at a great cap savings, take a good size hit on a QB prospect whose abilities are still yet to be determined and wasn't drafted by the organization's current administration, return a early 3rd rd draft pick to the original team, and last but not least, regain the direction of a team/organization that has seemed to have lost it's way.

There chew on that for awhile and blast me later.

Good post. Trading JP would probably eliminate the possibility of re-signing Nate in terms of cap space, or at least hamper the odds of being able to do so.

650130[/snapback]

There's a way for the Bills to trade Losman while re-signing Nate. In the first year of the contract, he gets a signing bonus of, say, $5 million. This bonus would be spread out over the maximum allowable timeframe. His base would be minimum wage. These features would make the deal affordable under the salary cap. Why would Nate sign a multi-year deal with only a $5 million bonus? The Bills would add in a very large roster bonus for the second year of the deal, forcing them to renegotiate at that time. During renegotiations, the Bills would turn the roster bonus into a signing bonus.

It's a little complicated, but basically what the Bills would be trying to do would be to minimize the Clements cap hit for 2006, because that's when they'd be hit by the Losman dead cap space. This would make the Clements cap hit a little bigger in future years, but with Losman off the books it would even out.