rebuild

CAT

Lets think about the Bills in 2008 competing for a championship. Assume:1)we solidify are team by focusing on meat and potatoes through the draft(rounds 2-4) and mid tear free agents(easy to do and consistent with Bills direction under new leadership and CBA),2)Championship teams need a good QB and a couple of stars/playmakers on each side of the ball,3)Defense wins championships(particularly in tough weather places ). Therefore,1)2006 see if young QBs on roster can develop by then, if not need to get a veteran next year because there is no time to start over with a rookie if 2008 is your target. Cant gamble on a rookie this year either because you have to focus on solidifing the team with your picks.2)Stars in FA are too expensive and too hard to get so you need to get them in the draft which generaaly means round 1. Since Bills have top10 this year and probably next get your stars here and focus on Defense. So i would stick at 8 and go for the playmaker on D, someone like Huff or Hawk. If the Bills dont see a special player then trade down and focus on solidifing the team. Some where you need to find the stars on D and a good QB

Not too bad of a strategy but I really think that this team can rebuild in 2 years through FAs and draft. We have a couple of playmakers on both sides of the ball. What is needed is a clear direction and commitment from the GM and coach. They need to be on the same page and aquire the personnel they think will help them succeed. I think in the past there has been a lack of direction as to what kind of team the Bills wanted to field. Lack of direction leads to poor personnel decisions and tranlates to poopr performance on the field. Hopefully, we will build upon what we already have through the draft this year. If we can make some smart decisions and start to strengthen the o&d lines, that will be a big first step toward being competitive. But that's just my 2 cents. And seeing how Raplh doesn't have me in the front office, yet... :D

One way that we can rebuild is to capitalize more on our strengths. For example, our linebacking crew is excellent. The Cover-2, as I understand it, would take better advantage of this strength, as would speedier safeties with hands (the anti-Coy).

I think we are close to having D-Line become a strength. Tripplett plus one more DT can make Schobel and Kelsay (and perhaps Darryl Tapp or Elvis Dumervil) even more productive.

Special Teams will continue to be a specialty of the Bills, giving us better field position and the chance to ramp up our Red Zone game with some missing ingredients--TE (Everett or V.Davis), a tall WR (Nance, Baskett, Stovall), and a revamped O-line that can sustain blocks.

Lets think about the Bills in 2008 competing for a championship.  Assume:1)we solidify are team by focusing on meat and potatoes through the draft(rounds 2-4) and mid tear free agents(easy to do and consistent with Bills direction under new leadership and CBA),2)Championship teams need a good QB and a couple of stars/playmakers on each side of the ball,3)Defense wins championships(particularly in tough weather places ).  Therefore,1)2006 see if young QBs on roster can develop by then, if not need to get a veteran next year because there is no time to start over with a rookie if 2008 is your target.  Cant gamble on a rookie this year either because you have to focus on solidifing the team with your picks.2)Stars in FA are too expensive and too hard to get so you need to get them in the draft which generaaly means round 1.  Since Bills have top10 this year and probably next get your stars here and focus on Defense.  So i would stick at 8 and go for the playmaker on D, someone like Huff or Hawk.  If the Bills dont see a special player then trade down and focus on solidifing the team.  Some where you need to find the stars on D and a good QB

649879[/snapback]

You have essentially described the Pats' team building strategy and their proof is in the pudding. I'm certainly no Pats fan, but I have to give credit where it's due. I would have no problem with the Bills doing the same thing, but I'm sure few on this board would have the patience. Luck plays a part as well. All of their personnal moves and I mean ALL, mean diddly if there is no Tom Brady. It helps when you have solidified the the most important single position in all of team sports with a future HOFer. I like your plan.

GO BILLS!!!