My hopes for the draft.

My hope for the draft this year, we draft for necessity rather than attention. If you think safety or linebacker is the biggest need on this team you completely missed 2005. We are incredibly unstocked on both the offensive and defensive lines. That's not to say that there aren't other players (Vernon Davis) that will be available with amazing upside in the NFL. I would just rather see the Bills get a player in a position that are we are in more trouble.

I thought Ngata was a lock with the first pick. I believe it's conjecture on the part of the Bills but maybe he isn't really there choice in the 1st. All of the talk about him not being the right guy for the positional defense we are going to play is hogwash. 6'4 340 running a 5.1 on the defensive line will work for any team just fine. He may not be Julius Peppers but he fills a huge weakness for the Bills.

HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE!

If they don't take him I'll be suprised, but if they don't my belief is they trade out to someone looking to draft the 3rd quarterback whether it be Cutler or Young. I'm not sure who will be looking to make the jump but I know there will be interest. The Bills need draft picks to restock on a lot of short comings. Buffalo fans aren't expecting a playoff push next year so I think it's safe to say that this is a building year.

Now this is all contingent on D'Brick not being there. Again, he may not be the best to come out in 10 years but he's the best to come out the year we really REALLY need offensive line help. He would be an immediate and impressive upgrade to whom ever they have slated in on the Left side. We all can agree on that.

I'm not really interested in one player or one position but 3 of the first 5 picks have to be spent in the trenches.

T_R

sounds reasonable. but lets take the patriots, for example. how did they do without seymour? the eagles without owens? the truth of today's nfl is that you must grab difference makers when you have a chance. be right, and you win. be wrong (m. williams) and you lose. this year, you only trade the 8 if you have no clue what you are doing. the morons you've got out there will talk about depth all day long, but difference makers are what separate the winners from the also rans. a certain level of competence is required, which you can get from the draft or free agency. the draft is the winner's market for difference makers.

A 6 4 340 pound defensive tackle is a playmaker.

Lee Evans, Willis Mcgahee, Roscoe Parrish are all playmakers. A healthy Takeo is a playmaker, London is a playmaker, Clements is a playmaker.

My thing is this if on the board you have vernon davis a 97 and Ngata a 96, you take Ngata because he's a more glaring need. Not that I don't want Davis because believe me he is the guy I would LOVE the Bills to draft, but I just don't think it's the hole we need to fill. If you draft him you are saying that Kevin Everett is officially a waiste of a roster spot/draft pick due to the signing of Royal, having Euhus and then the added spot for Vernon Davis.

Now as much as I'd like to throw Coy Wire to the wolves I think the Bills are going to let him and Matt Bowen fight for the opening at safety. As for LB I think you have 3 returning starters and two depth guys already in the fold. You may not think the world of Posey or may not have alot of faith in Takeo coming back 100% but the value and money for linebacker is invested. If next year all of the starters and back ups fail then you address it in 2007.

The glaring need is the lines. Forget glamour and fix the core of your team.

T_R

A 6 4 340 pound defensive tackle is a playmaker. 

Lee Evans, Willis Mcgahee, Roscoe Parrish are all playmakers.  A healthy Takeo is a playmaker, London is a playmaker, Clements is a playmaker. 

My thing is this if on the board you have vernon davis a 97 and Ngata a 96, you take Ngata because he's a more glaring need.  Not that I don't want Davis because believe me he is the guy I would LOVE the Bills to draft, but I just don't think it's the hole we need to fill. If you draft him you are saying that Kevin Everett is officially a waiste of a roster spot/draft pick due to the signing of Royal, having Euhus and then the added spot for Vernon Davis. 

Now as much as I'd like to throw Coy Wire to the wolves I think the Bills are going to let him and Matt Bowen fight for the opening at safety.  As for LB I think you have 3 returning starters and two depth guys already in the fold.  You may not think the world of Posey or may not have alot of faith in Takeo coming back 100% but the value and money for linebacker is invested.  If next year all of the starters and back ups fail then you address it in 2007. 

The glaring need is the lines.  Forget glamour and fix the core of your team. 

T_R

649820[/snapback]

Precisely, right on target. I couldn't agree more.

The core of this team is by far the most neglected segment of the team. Sure we may need depth or a "star" here and there. But, we have absolutely nothing on either line - save 1 or 2 players. Think about that - there's 5 offensive linemen and we have only 1 true starter. Tell me how you can ever expect to win with a crap line like that.

My thing is this if on the board you have vernon davis a 97 and Ngata a 96, you take Ngata because he's a more glaring need.

649820[/snapback]

True enough. I'll give you the difference between 97 and 96 to fill the trenches. But if you have Davis at 97 and Ngata at 87? Huff at 94 and Ngata at 86? What do you think Bellicheck would give each of those three guys? If Ngata is great, I will be very happy to take him. But we can't overrate him because of what we wish he would be. We have to evaluate what this guy is going to do in Buffalo over the next five years, and compare that with the other options.

Draft the best players = build the best football team

Draft for needs = build a well rounded but mediocre football team

Drafting needs gets us to 8-8 faster, and delays any hopes of being a Super Bowl contender.

you only trade the 8 if you have no clue what you are doing.  the morons you've got out there will talk about depth all day long, but difference makers are what separate the winners from the also rans.  a certain level of competence is required, which you can get from the draft or free agency.  the draft is the winner's market for difference makers.

649819[/snapback]

We traded down to grab Nate Clements and Travis Henry 5 years ago. Both players were starters (for awhile). Trading down doesn't necessarily mean that you won't get a good starter or two.

CW

True enough.  I'll give you the difference between 97 and 96 to fill the trenches.  But if you have Davis at 97 and Ngata at 87?  Huff at 94 and Ngata at 86?  What do you think Bellicheck would give each of those three guys?  If Ngata is great, I will be very happy to take him.  But we can't overrate him because of what we wish he would be.  We have to evaluate what this guy is going to do in Buffalo over the next five years, and compare that with the other options.

Draft the best players = build the best football team

Draft for needs = build a well rounded but mediocre football team

Drafting needs gets us to 8-8 faster, and delays any hopes of being a Super Bowl contender.

649982[/snapback]

I think Vernon Davis is the worst example. If we hadn't went out and got Royal it might still be a possibility. Popular thinking is that the Bills are stocked at TE and he won't be available.

Does anyone really think Ngata is ranked that far behind most of the big names? I don't. I've only seen him play 7 times in two years but all 7 times he was a difference maker. No way do I pass on him if he's there.

T_R