good piece by dr. z on the top of the draft

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writ...raft/index.html

interesting comment by the personnel guy - d'brick is good, but not jonathan ogden good. more like levi jones good (i.e., not great).

649793[/snapback]

I actually agree with that. D'Brick got toasted a couple times at the Senior Bowl and was still getting praised at the end of the game. That to me made no sense. And Nagata really to me wasn't a force in the Holiday Bowl (correct me if I'm wrong).

Take Huff Marv.

I actually agree with that.  D'Brick got toasted a couple times at the Senior Bowl and was still getting praised at the end of the game.  That to me made no sense.  And Nagata really to me wasn't a force in the Holiday Bowl (correct me if I'm wrong). 

Take Huff Marv.

649795[/snapback]

What he said about D'Brick is better than what he said about Huff. I'll take Levi Jones good, you're not going to find Ogden good, he's an all time great.

Ogden was good once upon a time the last couple seasons he's been terribly average. He wouldn't be the guy I think of when talking about the best current lt's in the game. Still Im not really a fan of dbrick anyway. Yeah he'd be a major upgrade but if we trade up I'd much rather it be for mario williams.

in the sooner/duck game, which I have still on my tivo, I noticed that when they tried to run up the middle (sooners) they were stopped, however they were able to run outside and away from Ngata, but that is peterson's game. On passing down Ngata was doubled and he just worked to get into the QB's line of site-like he should

I really liked what this guy said about Huff, which holds true for a lot of players I would have to believe.

"Look, I'm really sorry to be so negative, but here's what I see here. I see a guy who has trained very hard to run the 40 at the combine. He runs it too effectively. Everybody's getting better at this speed thing. They're learning how to train for it very efficiently. The trick is not to get fooled by this. Huff is a guy who runs fast but doesn't play fast."

Ogden was good once upon a time the last couple seasons he's been terribly average.  He wouldn't be the guy I think of when talking about the best current lt's in the game.  Still Im not really a fan of dbrick anyway. Yeah he'd be a major upgrade but if we trade up I'd much rather it be for mario williams.

649816[/snapback]

You know who never gets mentioned as one of the best in the game but should...Willie Roaf. Even last year, at his age, he was dominate. For years whenever people have mentioned the best OTs in the game it's always Ogden, Pace, W. Jones. IMHO Roaf should be grouped in there as well. Ogden did have a down year last year (although he played a lot better the second half) and is showing signs of his age.

You know who never gets mentioned as one of the best in the game but should...Willie Roaf.  Even last year, at his age, he was dominate.  For years whenever people have mentioned the best OTs in the game it's always Ogden, Pace, W. Jones.  IMHO Roaf should be grouped in there as well.  Ogden did have a down year last year (although he played a lot better the second half) and is showing signs of his age.

650018[/snapback]

The reason Roaf doesn't get mentioned is the teams he's been on have not been winners ie little playoff success. Whereas everyone else you've mentioned has played in a Super Bowl. Say what you want but winning is the ultimate cologne.

The reason Roaf doesn't get mentioned is the teams he's been on have not been winners ie little playoff success. Whereas everyone else you've mentioned has played in a Super Bowl. Say what you want but winning is the ultimate cologne.

650040[/snapback]

Thats a good point but I have to disagree...W. Jones has been in that group for years and has only experienced post season success last year.

IMHO a good summary of the take expressed in this article from the Bills perspective is definitely trade down if possible.

650059[/snapback]

No way did you just make a post that was only one line :lol::doh:

I actually agree with that.  D'Brick got toasted a couple times at the Senior Bowl and was still getting praised at the end of the game.  That to me made no sense.  And Nagata really to me wasn't a force in the Holiday Bowl (correct me if I'm wrong). 

Take Huff Marv.

649795[/snapback]

Ngata first, then I would think about Michael Huff

Thats a good point but I have to disagree...W. Jones has been in that group for years and has only experienced post season success last year.

650047[/snapback]

roaf used to be always mentioned in that category, but due to injuries in his final years with the saints (a lot of people thought he was going to retire). i agree though - he's been sensational with the chiefs.

I agree with his analysis way too much... but then again aren't all drafts this way?

There are the stars that we think will be picked first round and become phenom's *coughAlexSmithcough* that end up being busts *coughAlexSmithcough*. Like Alex Smith... wait...

These guys were of course great in college, but it's time for the big leagues.. and honestly I think that Leinart isn't ready.

Just my thought...