OL and DL do not concern me as much

Evans and Parrish are definite playmakers. Parrish in the open field is undeniably dangerous, and Evan's speed is all that needs pointed out here. The problem, of course, is not having a quarterback that can get us to the point to make these kinds of plays. Willis McGahee is of course a playmaker, although that is where the O-line troubles me. The kid's got speed and he's got leverage... and as long as Shelton is healthy, he's a nice trump card in the mix.

Evans and Parrish are definite playmakers.  Parrish in the open field is undeniably dangerous, and Evan's speed is all that needs pointed out here.  The problem, of course, is not having a quarterback that can get us to the point to make these kinds of plays.  Willis McGahee is of course a playmaker, although that is where the O-line troubles me.  The kid's got speed and he's got leverage... and as long as Shelton is healthy, he's a nice trump card in the mix.

649602[/snapback]

Don't wanna dis Willis as he is one of my favorites. Topic was more about the passing game.

Something really scary about this team past Lee Evans & maybe Parrish or Everett (who are both still a relative unknown).

Ngata or Vernon Davis at 8, or trade down.

649598[/snapback]

Tommy D, is that you? :D THE NEGLECT OF THE LINES NEEDS TO STOP NOW.

Evans, Davis, Everett, Parrish are all potential playmakers in the open field. McGahee would be a Pro Bowl player with a decent OL and a coach who will use him on 3rd down.

This is a good general blueprint we should have in the draft, more or less:

1st round - DT

2nd round - OT

3rd round, A - DE

3rd round, B - G

DAY 2 - all the offensive playmakers your heart desires :P

All the "playmakers" in the world don't mean diddly if the QB is hitting the ground 2.5 seconds after the ball is snapped, an all-too-frequent occurrence in Buffalo these last few seasons.

Bills had a #1 pick at RB, two #1s and two #2s at WR last year. But once Mike Williams limped off to the bench, Mike Gandy was the only first-day pick left on the OL... and I still have bad memories of just how well that worked.

I can live with Ngata or Davis at #8, but only if at least two of the remaining Saturday picks are used on the OL.

As always, just my opinion...

Tommy D, is that you?  :D THE NEGLECT OF THE LINES NEEDS TO STOP NOW.

Evans, Davis, Everett, Parrish are all potential playmakers in the open field. McGahee would be a Pro Bowl player with a decent OL and a coach who will use him on 3rd down.

This is a good general blueprint we should have in the draft, more or less:

1st round - DT

2nd round - OT

3rd round, A - DE

3rd round, B - G

DAY 2 - all the offensive playmakers your heart desires :P

649623[/snapback]

I think we really need to draft a Guard in the 2nd round rather than the third. In the 2nd, we're looking at options like Giles, Joseph, Lutui and Spencer (I really dont see anyone stretching to take a Guard in the first, unless its one of the last few picks). Giles and Joseph are immediate starters on most O-Lines while Spencer and Lutui might take a year or two, but they are both definite future starters.

In the third, the only Guards who will be around are Jason Spitz, Kevin Boothe and Rob Sims...all of them looking more like projects to me than guys who can step up and contribute right away.

However, there should be some decent OTs still available in the early third (O'Callahan, Colledge, Whitworth, Trueblood) and some very nice DTs (Dvoracek, Mahelona, Harris, Oshinowo), which makes me think that the Bills could afford to hold off until the 3rd to take either position unless a huge star at OT or DT falls to them in the first or second. Either way, because this draft is so deep at both OT and DT, its improving our options.

Everything starts upfront. O-Line makes everything else work. New England does not have great recievers, they have(or Had maybe more like it now) 3-4 good recievers. Alexander tore the record book apart because Hutchinson and Jones, more then aanything else. John Fox fixed the D-Line and O-Line before anything else when he took over the Panthers(Peppers, and Gross) While having playmakers is important I still believe you have to get lineman to make things work.

I think we really need to draft a Guard in the 2nd round rather than the third.  In the 2nd, we're looking at options like Giles, Joseph, Lutui and Spencer (I really dont see anyone stretching to take a Guard in the first, unless its one of the last few picks).  Giles and Joseph are immediate starters on most O-Lines while Spencer and Lutui might take a year or two, but they are both definite future starters.

In the third, the only Guards who will be around are Jason Spitz, Kevin Boothe and Rob Sims...all of them looking more like projects to me than guys who can step up and contribute right away.

649690[/snapback]

I take it that you are not high on Setterstrom?

I take it that you are not high on Setterstrom?

649734[/snapback]

Setterstrom could be a good pro, but he's just not bulky or strong enough I think to work for the Bills system. I know that Minnesota runs a zone blocking scheme for all of their O-Lineman (which means he's got to be technically sound), but that same zone-blocking system he came from in college makes me pretty skeptical of him in the NFL, at least in terms of how much he could help the Bills.

He'd probaby fit better with the Broncos who use a zone blocking concept for their O-Linemen.

Something really scary about this team past Lee Evans & maybe Parrish or Everett (who are both still a relative unknown).

Ngata or Vernon Davis at 8, or trade down.

649598[/snapback]

True. Why be bothered by minor facets of football such as blocking and tackling? Roscoe "The Itsy Bitsy Spider" Parrish is a splendid example of what wins NFL football games.

Disregard the post by Lori. She needs to learn more about what it takes to win, and perhaps about football in general.

OK, sarcasm off....If you are not concerned about the OL and DL of the Bills, I suggest that you delve just a wee bit deeper into the game of football, and then please be sure to post again.

Setterstrom could be a good pro, but he's just not bulky or strong enough I think to work for the Bills system.  I know that Minnesota runs a zone blocking scheme for all of their O-Lineman (which means he's got to be technically sound), but that same zone-blocking system he came from in college makes me pretty skeptical of him in the NFL, at least in terms of how much he could help the Bills. 

He'd probaby fit better with the Broncos who use a zone blocking concept for their O-Linemen.

649738[/snapback]

Thanks for the response BGIM. I am looking forward to seeing who is correct about him.

I predict that he will go earlier than is commonly expected, and that he is every bit as good as, if not better than Chris Snee was coming out.

I would be literally thrilled if the Bills are lucky enough to draft him.

I am all for picking alot of Lineman this year in the draft but at #8 YOU TAKE THE BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE or trade out of that spot, it is not a spot to take a need player who might be available later or reach for a guy. Ngata doesn't look like he would fit our defencive scheme and Davis or Huff like like the only other guys that are the best available that the bills should go for. The rest of the draft is for taking need players cause they are not going to demand the big money a #8 pick will get thats why the rest of the draft gets used on lineman and other needs Buffalo has (so anything but QB, special teams players, RB or small WR's

I am all for picking alot of Lineman this year in the draft but at #8 YOU TAKE THE BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE or trade out of that spot, it is not a spot to take a need player who might be available later or reach for a guy. Ngata doesn't look like he would fit our defencive scheme and Davis or Huff like like the only other guys that are the best available that the bills should go for. The rest of the draft is for taking need players cause they are not going to demand the big money a #8 pick will get thats why the rest of the draft gets used on lineman and other needs Buffalo has (so anything but QB, special teams players, RB or small WR's

649752[/snapback]

Complete agreement from me. I'd stick with this thought process all day long. That doesn't mean you take seven 5'9" receviers in a row, but don't get caught into thinking you need a OL in the 2nd, and the guys available aren't worth that pick, etc. My plan would be all things being equal to focus on the lines with the majority of picks, and realistically there are going to be a bunch of picks where it might be a tossup whether a lineman is the best player available, so we can pick a bunch (including maybe #8).

But by not taking the guy you think will be the best football player over and over because you have a shopping list of needs, is a great roadmap to mediocrity. I want our fastest path to winning the Super Bowl (or at least building a team that has a really good chance), not the best possible record in 2006.

I Ngata doesn't look like he would fit our defencive scheme

649752[/snapback]

The question is why on earth folkd seem to hsve come to a conclusion that Ngata does not fit into our scheme. I think this draws way too many assumptions and even at that the assumption that he does not fit cover 2 requirements may well be an incorrect assumption in and of itself.

I know that the "talk" out of OBD is of wanting fast athletic DL players, but actually this strikes me as a good description already of Schobel, Kelsay, Denney and Triplett and in no way disqualifies us from picking a monster run stopper to stay at home and team with these fast DL players.

There are also some theories around the concepts of a 1gap DT versus a 2 gap DT and Ngata not being the type of 1 gapper we need. This assumption seems to take as a given knowledge of how Jauron with Fewell DC ing this cover are actually going to implement it given the Bills personnel/

I can easily see the Bills running a cover 2 utilizing someone of Ngata's skills and talents to make this work/

I rhink the concep that he does not fit the Bills scheme may in fact prove to be true, but for now is little more than a assumption made by posters who are in no position to make the assumptions this entails.

The question is why on earth folkd seem to hsve come to a conclusion that Ngata does not fit into our scheme. I think this draws way too many assumptions and even at that the assumption that he does not fit cover 2 requirements may well be an incorrect assumption in and of itself.

I know that the "talk" out of OBD is of wanting fast athletic DL players, but actually this strikes me as a good description already of Schobel, Kelsay, Denney and Triplett and in no way disqualifies us from picking a monster run stopper to stay at home  and team with these fast DL players.

There are also some theories around the concepts of a 1gap DT versus a 2 gap DT and Ngata not being the type of 1 gapper we need.  This assumption seems to take as a given knowledge of how Jauron with Fewell DC ing this cover  are actually going to implement it given the Bills personnel/

I can easily see the Bills running a cover 2 utilizing someone of Ngata's skills and talents to make this work/

I rhink the concep that he does not fit the Bills scheme may in fact prove to be true, but for now is little more than a assumption made by posters who are in no position to make the assumptions this entails.

649785[/snapback]

just to add, ted "grayhound" washington and keith "fast like a cheetah" traylor fit jauron's "scheme" quite well in 2001.

Evans and Parrish are definite playmakers.  Parrish in the open field is undeniably dangerous, and Evan's speed is all that needs pointed out here.  The problem, of course, is not having a quarterback that can get us to the point to make these kinds of plays.  Willis McGahee is of course a playmaker, although that is where the O-line troubles me.  The kid's got speed and he's got leverage... and as long as Shelton is healthy, he's a nice trump card in the mix.

649602[/snapback]

Parrish is FAR from a definite playmaker, you have to make plays to be a playmaker and I dont remember him making any plays last year. He barely played and when he did he didnt do much, not even as a punt returner...and you think he is a definite playmaker

he was a horrible pick by a horrible GM

This teams biggest need is O-lineman, if you cant see that you're not watching the same team I am. You cant do much with playmakers on offense when you cant run or protect the QB

I know that the "talk" out of OBD is of wanting fast athletic DL players, but actually this strikes me as a good description already of Schobel, Kelsay, Denney and Triplett and in no way disqualifies us from picking a monster run stopper to stay at home  and team with these fast DL players.

There are also some theories around the concepts of a 1gap DT versus a 2 gap DT and Ngata not being the type of 1 gapper we need.  This assumption seems to take as a given knowledge of how Jauron with Fewell DC ing this cover  are actually going to implement it given the Bills personnel/

649785[/snapback]

well, i suppose that's true, if you take as a given that everything that has come out of one bills drive is a smokescreen. everything they have said publicly indicates that they are playing a one gap scheme. everything that has come from someone local or connected says they are playing a one gap scheme. it might be possible they are playing a one gap scheme. maybe they'll suprise everybody and play 2 gap come september, but i kind of doubt it at this point. there is a difference between skeptical and obtuse-try to keep that in mind.

All the "playmakers" in the world don't mean diddly if the QB is hitting the ground 2.5 seconds after the ball is snapped, an all-too-frequent occurrence in Buffalo these last few seasons.

Bills had a #1 pick at RB, two #1s and two #2s at WR last year. But once Mike Williams limped off to the bench, Mike Gandy was the only first-day pick left on the OL... and I still have bad memories of just how well that worked.

I can live with Ngata or Davis at #8, but only if at least two of the remaining Saturday picks are used on the OL.

As always, just my opinion...

649643[/snapback]

I'm with ya on that. The Lines are the biggest need right now !