Who here remembers the first time they took they

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They didn't have SATs when I went to university (in Australia). We had an exam to graduate from high school and if you reached a certain passing grade in that exam you would also "matriculate" which would then enable you to go on to a "uni". If you didn't reach that level, you could go to a "technical" school.

However, they did have acid. We used to watch you crazy people on "American" TV news. :D

I rest my case.

649605[/snapback]

i simply asked how the system works since we don't have it here in Canada, and the practice question was simply a grammar question.

So you rest your case?

i simply asked how the system works since we don't have it here in Canada, and the practice question was simply a grammar question. 

So you rest your case?

649609[/snapback]

When I took it, back in the mid-late 80's, it was math and english, no essay though, and all multiple choice.

So you rest your case?

649609[/snapback]

Yes, because asking a question on a the college entrance test that should have an obvious response from anyone who actually bothered to learn anything while in high school is really sort of sad.

Me and three friends stayed out all night drinking.  Took the test at Fredonia High School, many moons ago. 

Did okay, and didn't have to take again.

649629[/snapback]

why didn't you get arrested for public intoxication? i mean you could have gotten into a car and killed someone.

Fall 1985. Morning after a Friday night football game, so I was running on about three hours' worth of sleep. Dozed off a couple of times waiting for the rest of the test-takers to finish a section. Like Jack, I didn't waste time/$$$ on test prep. 1380, and it didn't mean a damn thing once I actually got to college.

I hear they let 'em use calculators now?!?

And you're right, crap-thrower, we don't. :D

why didn't you get arrested for public intoxication? i mean you could have gotten into a car and killed someone.

649632[/snapback]

I didn't drive, and I wasn't 18 either. :P It was also in the very ear;y 80's when the drinking age was only 18 in NYS.

Plus I wasn't stupid enough to hang out in hotel bar, making an ass of myself and jeering at the police when they walked in. :D

I didn't drive, and I wasn't 18 either.  :P  It was also in the very ear;y 80's when the drinking age was only 18 in NYS. 

Plus I wasn't stupid enough to hang out in hotel bar, making an ass of myself and jeering at the police when they walked in.  :D

649649[/snapback]

yet you were stupid enough to get wasted on the night of a big exam that would determine your future?

yet you were stupid enough to get wasted on the night of a big exam that would determine your future?

649656[/snapback]

Yeah except I was pretty much a straight A student and scored a damn 1387 on them. next question dexter. I drank my way through high school. That was a normal weekend night in a small town in WNY. I guess you didn't grow up there in the late 70's / early 80's?

Yeah except I was pretty much a straight A student and scored a damn 1387 on them.  next question dexter.  I drank my way through high school.  That was a normal weekend night in a small town in WNY.  I guess you didn't grow up there in the late 70's / early 80's?

649657[/snapback]

no since i was born in 1981, chances are i wasn't in a small town in western new york, more likely i was in a big city in Quebec.

1387? Really? Impressive, if puzzling.

Think they were scoring them in increments of either five or ten (don't remember which) by the time I took them.

Think they were scoring them in increments of either five or ten (don't remember which) by the time I took them.

649664[/snapback]

It was something like 1 point off for each question not answered. 2 for a wrong and 5 for a correct answer if I remember correct. They made a point of telling us to not answer rather then answer incorrectly since with 4 possibiities the odds were in your favor to not answer rather than guess. I believe it's changed now to make it better to answer everything.

649664[/snapback]

Increments of 10 is what they are scored in. If i gave more than 2 ***** about the verbal section, i probably could have topped my 1470. but as you said, Hit the minimum on SAT scores, and no one/school gives a sh-- about them.

This is great!

I've spent my adult life thinking I was the only person who was a big enough moron to not do any preparation then stay out the entire night before the exam. I'm thrilled to know that the wolrd is populated by others just as stupid as me!-)

Partied like a madman and got home around 6. My buddy picked me up about 7. Started the test at 8 completely shlt-faced, pig-ignorant, drooling on myself drunk.

Gee, our old LaSalle ran great.....