Elliot Smith -or- Great Musicians Nobody

ajzepp

I picked up Buckley's "Sketches For My Sweetheart the Drunk" last year. At first, I was really put off by some of the songs and was like, "What were you thinking, Jeff? And why did I plunk down 19 bucks for this?" But in listening to it more, I've come to really enjoy Goldshot Glitter, You and I and some of the other tracks (but I can definitely see how he wanted to erase it all and start over with his producer from the 'Grace' CD).

I think what really gets me with any artist is if they've got the stones to do something different and to experiment. And that can include going back and revisiting some of the classics. I wish someone would try to cover some Buddy Holly tunes, but maybe that's asking too much. If it's storytellers you're looking for, look up Stan Rogers, "Fogarty's Cove."

As for Krall, I went with her competition b/c of the curls. :D:P

And ajzepp, as for a new computer, Micro$oft is releasing Vista next year; I'm still running '98SE and in kind of the same boat, but I'm just going to wait. 'Course, if you bag on another os....

649660[/snapback]

Buddy Holly music rocks....I'm a big fan of Ritchie Valens, too....have his greatest hits album :lol: Diana Krall certainly isn't hard on the eyes, but I have to agree about Ms. Monheit....I'd heard the name but had no idea she looked like that....very sexy :lol:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what really gets me with any artist is if they've got the stones to do something different and to experiment. And that can include going back and revisiting some of the classics. I wish someone would try to cover some Buddy Holly tunes, but maybe that's asking too much. If it's storytellers you're looking for, look up Stan Rogers, "Fogarty's Cove."

649660[/snapback]

I really liked this Buddy Holly tribute CD

link

As for Buckley, I think Buffalo's own Willie Nile recorded a track dedicated to Jeff that is one of the best songs ever recorded

see track 12

Oh yeah, getting some other names tossed into the hat was definitely part of what I was hoping would happen. Ill definitely add that guy to my list, thanks!

649235[/snapback]

Zeppo...if you decide to check out Roy Buchanon, I recommend Live in Japan or Live Stock as a starting point. I would almost NEVER recommend a live album as a place to start for an artist...this is a rare exception.

Also, if you like MUSICIANSHIP...guys who flat out play their asses off, check out some David Grisman Quintet.

Zeppo...if you decide to check out Roy Buchanon, I recommend Live in Japan or Live Stock as a starting point.  I would almost NEVER recommend a live album as a place to start for an artist...this is a rare exception.

Also, if you like MUSICIANSHIP...guys who flat out play their asses off, check out some David Grisman Quintet.

649688[/snapback]

Very cool, thanks....I don't like listening to live recordings in the car, but I enjoy them quite a bit at home....so that sounds good to me :D

sorry aj... she was looking opver my shoulder when I read your PM.  :D

649713[/snapback]

lol....she can be determined at times :P

I picked up Buckley's "Sketches For My Sweetheart the Drunk" last year. At first, I was really put off by some of the songs and was like, "What were you thinking, Jeff? And why did I plunk down 19 bucks for this?" But in listening to it more, I've come to really enjoy Goldshot Glitter, You and I and some of the other tracks (but I can definitely see how he wanted to erase it all and start over with his producer from the 'Grace' CD).

As for Krall, I went with her competition b/c of the curls. :D:P

And ajzepp, as for a new computer, Micro$oft is releasing Vista next year; I'm still running '98SE and in kind of the same boat, but I'm just going to wait. 'Course, if you bag on another os....

649660[/snapback]

Nora Jones is very good too, and cute. I lean more to Krall because I have a weakness for a lot of the old standards and she does a lot more of that type of thing. So does Jane, but with more of a "pop" kind of flavor. I also have a weakness for good martinis, sultry women and low lit piano bars. Maybe I should start an old guy music thread? As for computers, I got a new XPS last year with best available video and audio upgrades. Pretty sweet.

Look of Love

Ever listen to Harry Chapin or Jim Croce? The stuff you might once in a while hear is not their real work, as everything must be pop.

Good songwriters. Can tell a story.

649578[/snapback]

Yup. My brother in law introduced me to them years back. I haven't borrowed the CD's in ages, but I do remember liking them while listening.

Lay It On The Line	4:05	Triumph	Just A Game	Rock  4	
Just A Game	6:17	Triumph	Just A Game	Rock  	
Fantasy Serenade	1:39	Triumph	Just A Game	Rock  	
Suitcase Blues	3:02	Triumph	Just A Game	Rock  	
Finger Talkin'	2:01	Triumph	Progressions Of Power	Rock  	
In The Night	6:17	Triumph	Progressions Of Power	Rock  	
Magic Power	4:56	Triumph	Allied Forces	Rock  	
Fight The Good Fight	6:24	Triumph	Allied Forces	Rock  	
A Minor Prelude - All The Way	4:26	Triumph	Never Surrender	Rock  	
Time Goes By	6:02	Triumph	Thunder Seven	Rock  	
Midsummer's Daydream (Instrumental)	1:38	Triumph	Thunder Seven	Rock  	
Hooked On You	3:23	Triumph	The Sport Of Kings	Rock  1	6/26/04 10:36 PM
All The King's Horses - Carry On The Flame	7:03	Triumph	Surveillance	Rock  	
World Of Wonder	3:59	Rik Emmett	Absolutely	Rock	100	3	9/23/04 11:18 PM
Woke Up This Morning (Blues In My Fingers)	3:02	Rik Emmett	Ipso Facto	Rock	100	2	1/14/05 8:10 PM
Let Love Conquer All	4:09	Rik Emmett	Ipso Facto	Rock  	
Gasoline	3:07	Rik Emmett	Raw Quartet	Rock  	
Angelina's Smile	3:19	Rik Emmett	Ten Invitations From The Mistress Of Mr. E	Rock  	
Mr. Bebop	2:42	Rik Emmett	Live At Berklee	Rock  2	1/12/05 10:48 PM

here is the list I will burn...

unfortunately, someone stole two of his solo albums from me, so I can't include more solo stuff, but I did include some of his more musical pieces during Triumph that were definitely foreshadowing his solo career.

649555[/snapback]

Wow, I just aquired a copy of Thunder Seven the other day, hadn't listened to it in years. Aj, if you want to learn a kick ass song, learn Midsummer Daydream, talk about impressive!

Scott, you should send him Blinding Light Show and Rock and Roll Machine as well. Those were the two that really impressed me about Rik Emmett...

Zeppo...if you decide to check out Roy Buchanon, I recommend Live in Japan or Live Stock as a starting point.  I would almost NEVER recommend a live album as a place to start for an artist...this is a rare exception.

649688[/snapback]

BTW, Dean - good choice. As "no one" has heard much of David Grisham there's a lot of free download and streaming out there.

BTW, Dean - good choice. As "no one" has heard much of David Grisham there's a lot of free download and streaming out there.

650028[/snapback]

Who is David Grisham? Does he write long, mainstream, musical compostitions about the courtroom? :lol:

For a minute, i thought the crayon-eater was taking this down the long lost path to...well, i don't know where to.a..if I knew it wouldn't be a LOST path...would it?

Wow, I just aquired a copy of Thunder Seven the other day, hadn't listened to it in years. Aj, if you want to learn a kick ass song, learn Midsummer Daydream, talk about impressive!

Scott, you should send him Blinding Light Show and Rock and Roll Machine as well. Those were the two that really impressed me about Rik Emmett...

649990[/snapback]

I had BLS on there, but it was too long to fit onto one CD. I had to trim 40 minutes off my 1st round of selections. I tried to get a good mix and not hog the CD with just one or two songs.

and yes, MD is the greatest acoustic piece that I have ever heard. FWIW. It is my all-time favorite piece.

This thread has got me on a Triumph kick now... I have been looking for bootlegs, collectibles, websites, etc...

649990[/snapback]

My brother had a boombox, and he couldn't get Thunder 7 out of the tape deck, so we listened to the A side of that for about 6 months. When he pried the tape door open the tape player part broke and the thing never worked again except for the radio.

Who is David Grisham?  Does he write long, mainstream, musical compostitions about the courtroom?  :lol:

For a minute, i thought the crayon-eater was taking this down the long lost path to...well, i don't know where to.a..if I knew it wouldn't be a LOST path...would it?

650056[/snapback]

I misspelled. Piss off, elitist prick ass hole. Eat me. Score a major victory? That said:

He's got some things with other folks worth listening to too. Sort of like Bob James and Sandborn teaming with Al Jereau. Seems like an undercurrent of people who just now and then get together. FWIW, there was a period where Tony Bennet got popular for a week over it, but his "Friends" album helped those involved promote their own stuff. Have you that in your collection? KD Lang showcases nice and Natalie Cole does a killer "Stormy Weather".