Elliot Smith -or- Great Musicians Nobody

ajzepp

Oh boy... I'm probably not the most objective person here since basically I am an optical engineer because I thought I could run the laser light show for Triumph some day...  :P  :lol:

The quintessential Triumph album that landed them on the radio was Allied Forces, led by Magic Power and Fight the Good Fight.  Before that, Just A Game had less commercial success but was probably their best work (which unfortunately came too early in their careers to really make the best of it).

His solo stuff is a natural progression from an uber talented singer, songwriter, guitarist, rock star to a grown adult.  His guitar work is impeccable, but his stuff today is not "Eruption", but more like Stanley Jordan.

I would be happy to send you some samples of his songs throughout his career that you would give you a taste of what he is all about.  I can burn you a disc if you send me your address.

I see no reason why you couldn't pick up a player w/o a sound card, but make sure you have USB or you won't be able to connect.

649546[/snapback]

I'll definitely take you up on that offer....that would be great, thanks! I'll PM you my address so that LanaK6 doens't get a hold of it :D:lol:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've over the years become much more of a fan of more acoustic music. I don't even own an electric guitar anymore. Just a simple 6 string and 12 string acoustic. That said, I wish I could "Stevie Ray Vaughn" now and then, but his era is gone too. Probably another thing to do with eras, but I don't think there are that many good songwriters left anymore, you bring up lyrics. Seems a lot of newer lyrics are also trying in their own way to borrow off other time frames, only dumbed down.

But, going back to an earlier post an example of what I'm talking about.

BiB's lame ass Bluegrass

Diana

Ok, see how lame I am? But, things blend into each other. When I have someone over for dinner, something like Diana makes for nice background. She does well with candlelight.

The only song I know by him is Pretty Mary K, nice little song. Too bad the guy offed himself...

649549[/snapback]

You're another one of the TBD'ers who has really helped with some good suggestions....I knew I was forgetting a few people :D

I think that's partly why his lyrics really resonated with me when I listened to it yesterday....knowing that the guy took his life, it just adds something to the music. Same sort of thing with Jeff Buckely, even though his death was an accident (?). It just adds a sense of tragedy to things, which I feel changes the music and its meaning. It really sucks that people as talented as these guys aren't around anymore, while you've got people like Ashlee Simpson at the top of the charts selling millions of CDs.

I've over the years become much more of a fan of more acoustic music. I don't even own an electric guitar anymore. Just a simple 6 string and 12 string acoustic. That said, I wish I could "Stevie Ray Vaughn" now and then, but his era is gone too. Probably another thing to do with eras, but I don't think there are that many good songwriters left anymore, you bring up lyrics. Seems a lot of newer lyrics are also trying in their own way to borrow off other time frames, only dumbed down.

But, going back to an earlier post an example of what I'm talking about.

BiB's lame ass Bluegrass

Diana

Ok, see how lame I am? But, things blend into each other. When I have someone over for dinner, something like Diana makes for nice background. She does well with candlelight.

649550[/snapback]

Well if that's lame, then I'm lame right with you....Nickel Creek is AWESOME! I had their CD until my ex-wife hijacked it in the divorce, lol. That lighthouse song is hypnotic! There are a lot of country/bluegrass artists that are excellent, and probably go a ways toward offsetting the "dumbing down" effect you speak of. I'm sure you have heard Allison Kraus' stuff.....I LOVE her voice and her music. I could listen to her all day long. I can't get the other link to come up (says my computer doesn't meet the requirements...what a surprise lol), but assuming it's Diana Krall stuff, I listen to her once in a while too. My only problem with her stuff - and it's not her fault in the slightest - is that it's recorded SO well that her discs are used alllllll the damn time to demo audio gear. It just gets ridiculous....But I love her voice....very sexy, dead-on pitch, all that stuff.

I'll definitely take you up on that offer....that would be great, thanks!  I'll PM you my address so that LanaK6 doens't get a hold of it  :D  :P

649548[/snapback]

Lay It On The Line	4:05	Triumph	Just A Game	Rock  4	
Just A Game	6:17	Triumph	Just A Game	Rock  	
Fantasy Serenade	1:39	Triumph	Just A Game	Rock  	
Suitcase Blues	3:02	Triumph	Just A Game	Rock  	
Finger Talkin'	2:01	Triumph	Progressions Of Power	Rock  	
In The Night	6:17	Triumph	Progressions Of Power	Rock  	
Magic Power	4:56	Triumph	Allied Forces	Rock  	
Fight The Good Fight	6:24	Triumph	Allied Forces	Rock  	
A Minor Prelude - All The Way	4:26	Triumph	Never Surrender	Rock  	
Time Goes By	6:02	Triumph	Thunder Seven	Rock  	
Midsummer's Daydream (Instrumental)	1:38	Triumph	Thunder Seven	Rock  	
Hooked On You	3:23	Triumph	The Sport Of Kings	Rock  1	6/26/04 10:36 PM
All The King's Horses - Carry On The Flame	7:03	Triumph	Surveillance	Rock  	
World Of Wonder	3:59	Rik Emmett	Absolutely	Rock	100	3	9/23/04 11:18 PM
Woke Up This Morning (Blues In My Fingers)	3:02	Rik Emmett	Ipso Facto	Rock	100	2	1/14/05 8:10 PM
Let Love Conquer All	4:09	Rik Emmett	Ipso Facto	Rock  	
Gasoline	3:07	Rik Emmett	Raw Quartet	Rock  	
Angelina's Smile	3:19	Rik Emmett	Ten Invitations From The Mistress Of Mr. E	Rock  	
Mr. Bebop	2:42	Rik Emmett	Live At Berklee	Rock  2	1/12/05 10:48 PM

here is the list I will burn...

unfortunately, someone stole two of his solo albums from me, so I can't include more solo stuff, but I did include some of his more musical pieces during Triumph that were definitely foreshadowing his solo career.

Lay It On The Line	4:05	Triumph	Just A Game	Rock  4	
Just A Game	6:17	Triumph	Just A Game	Rock  	
Fantasy Serenade	1:39	Triumph	Just A Game	Rock  	
Suitcase Blues	3:02	Triumph	Just A Game	Rock  	
Finger Talkin'	2:01	Triumph	Progressions Of Power	Rock  	
In The Night	6:17	Triumph	Progressions Of Power	Rock  	
Magic Power	4:56	Triumph	Allied Forces	Rock  	
Fight The Good Fight	6:24	Triumph	Allied Forces	Rock  	
A Minor Prelude - All The Way	4:26	Triumph	Never Surrender	Rock  	
Time Goes By	6:02	Triumph	Thunder Seven	Rock  	
Midsummer's Daydream (Instrumental)	1:38	Triumph	Thunder Seven	Rock  	
Hooked On You	3:23	Triumph	The Sport Of Kings	Rock  1	6/26/04 10:36 PM
All The King's Horses - Carry On The Flame	7:03	Triumph	Surveillance	Rock  	
World Of Wonder	3:59	Rik Emmett	Absolutely	Rock	100	3	9/23/04 11:18 PM
Woke Up This Morning (Blues In My Fingers)	3:02	Rik Emmett	Ipso Facto	Rock	100	2	1/14/05 8:10 PM
Let Love Conquer All	4:09	Rik Emmett	Ipso Facto	Rock  	
Gasoline	3:07	Rik Emmett	Raw Quartet	Rock  	
Angelina's Smile	3:19	Rik Emmett	Ten Invitations From The Mistress Of Mr. E	Rock  	
Mr. Bebop	2:42	Rik Emmett	Live At Berklee	Rock  2	1/12/05 10:48 PM

here is the list I will burn...

unfortunately, someone stole two of his solo albums from me, so I can't include more solo stuff, but I did include some of his more musical pieces during Triumph that were definitely foreshadowing his solo career.

649555[/snapback]

Very cool! I'm psyched to give it a listen......Is that "woke up this morning" song the theme song from the Sopranos??

Well if that's lame, then I'm lame right with you....Nickel Creek is AWESOME!  I had their CD until my ex-wife hijacked it in the divorce, lol. That lighthouse song is hypnotic!  There are a lot of country/bluegrass artists that are excellent, and probably go a ways toward offsetting the "dumbing down" effect you speak of. I'm sure you have heard Allison Kraus' stuff.....I LOVE her voice and her music. I could listen to her all day long. I can't get the other link to come up (says my computer doesn't meet the requirements...what a surprise lol), but assuming it's Diana Krall stuff, I listen to her once in a while too. My only problem with her stuff - and it's not her fault in the slightest - is that it's recorded SO well that her discs are used alllllll the damn time to demo audio gear. It just gets ridiculous....But I love her voice....very sexy, dead-on pitch, all that stuff.

649554[/snapback]

Allison Krause is some real talent, and I smile everytime someone brings up the George Clooney movie.

Forgive me, but I have some Bob James on in the backgroud as I type this.

Yes, the lighthouse song is a nice ballad. But sadly, not if no one hears it.

You said lyrics...

you guys have me laughing with the Triumph. Good times.

My tastes are eclectic, but stuff I've listened to recently:

Son Volt

Calexico

Jeff Buckley

Decemberists

Mendelson

Johnny Cash

Joe Jackson

Segovia

Robert Cray

Keb Mo

Has anyone heard the new Neko Case?

Son Volt

Calexico

Jeff Buckley

Decemberists

Mendelson

Johnny Cash

Joe Jackson

Segovia

Robert Cray

Keb Mo

649607[/snapback]

Robert Cray is sort of under the radar as he is not nouveau. Too many "I screwed you woman and I feel bad for it" songs, though.

Andre Segovia is a master.

Son Volt

Calexico

Jeff Buckley

Decemberists

Mendelson

Johnny Cash

Joe Jackson

Segovia

Robert Cray

Keb Mo

649607[/snapback]

I saw Neko Case perform on Conan the other night....I was online farting around while she was on, but from what I saw I really liked. That was the first time I'd seen her, so I'd definitely like to hear/see more.

AJ, do you have Instant Messanger? If you do, we can cnnect and I can send you a bunch of files. Send me a PM.

649595[/snapback]

Ed, yep, I'm on Yahoo PM.....are we talking like MP3 files? I can let you know when I pick up an iPod or whatever, which should be realtively soon.....I'd love to hear whatever you want to send me :D I just tried to convert a song to MP3 for Fezmid about an hour ago, and realized that my stupid computer doesn't even recognze it's CDROM anymore....so I'm going to need to put this thing out of its misery soon.

Ever listen to Harry Chapin or Jim Croce? The stuff you might once in a while hear is not their real work, as everything must be pop.

Good songwriters. Can tell a story.

649578[/snapback]

What you just described represents one of my big epiphonies when it comes to music. I used to buy a CD because of a song or two that I really liked, but I'd often fail to give the rest of the album a chance. That's when I came to the realization that just because it wasn't on the radio doesn't mean it's not good, lol. Thankfully now I'm into artists that will NEVER see a pop station....so I've come a long way :D

You're another one of the TBD'ers who has really helped with some good suggestions....I knew I was forgetting a few people  :P

I think that's partly why his lyrics really resonated with me when I listened to it yesterday....knowing that the guy took his life, it just adds something to the music. Same sort of thing with Jeff Buckely, even though his death was an accident (?). It just adds a sense of tragedy to things, which I feel changes the music and its meaning. It really sucks that people as talented as these guys aren't around anymore, while you've got people like Ashlee Simpson at the top of the charts selling millions of CDs.

649552[/snapback]

I picked up Buckley's "Sketches For My Sweetheart the Drunk" last year. At first, I was really put off by some of the songs and was like, "What were you thinking, Jeff? And why did I plunk down 19 bucks for this?" But in listening to it more, I've come to really enjoy Goldshot Glitter, You and I and some of the other tracks (but I can definitely see how he wanted to erase it all and start over with his producer from the 'Grace' CD).

I think what really gets me with any artist is if they've got the stones to do something different and to experiment. And that can include going back and revisiting some of the classics. I wish someone would try to cover some Buddy Holly tunes, but maybe that's asking too much. If it's storytellers you're looking for, look up Stan Rogers, "Fogarty's Cove."

As for Krall, I went with her competition b/c of the curls. :D:lol:

And ajzepp, as for a new computer, Micro$oft is releasing Vista next year; I'm still running '98SE and in kind of the same boat, but I'm just going to wait. 'Course, if you bag on another os....

Thankfully now I'm into artists that will NEVER see a pop station....so I've come a long way :P

649652[/snapback]

now we just need to get you out of the house on Friday/Saturday night... :D

now we just need to get you out of the house on Friday/Saturday night...  :P

649661[/snapback]

LMAO!!! :lol::D