Dick Vitale - That Voice

Mark VI

I'd like to strike him.

648950[/snapback]

When his shtick was fresh (and it WAS at one time), he was actually entertaining and knowledgeable. But, he went the way of most sell-outs and became a parody of himself.

So...I, too, would like you to strike him.

When his shtick was fresh (and it WAS at one time), he was actually entertaining and knowledgeable. But, he went the way of most sell-outs and became a parody of himself.

Ya know, the thing is that he has done the same shtick for 20 years. It was very entertaining the first 10 years. How could you keep that fresh without losing the original? I'm not really sure. At least he's a better announcer than Nantz and Packer.

Also, he's a helluva nice guy. Every year my family spends Easter on Siesta Key, Florida. He's always plugging a nice breakfast and lunch place called the Broken Egg. One year, my Dad & I are having breakfast, talking hoops (NCAA Tourney time) and I see this guy sort of staring at us from the next table. Sure enough, he offers his opinion on what we were just chatting about and there no mistake...its Dickie V. We ask him to join us and talk hoops, he gladly accepted. We chat about hoops for about 2 hours over coffee. The guy loves the game very much and is about as knowledgable a person as there is about college hoops. He even picked up the check. Since then we have seen him there a few times, he still remembers our names, and we chat with him about hoops, life etc.

Does it get a bit old, sure. But he really does love the game and is knowledgable about it.

Ya know, the thing is that he has done the same shtick for 20 years.  It was very entertaining the first 10 years.  How could you keep that fresh without losing the original?  I'm not really sure.  At least he's a better announcer than Nantz and Packer.

Also, he's a helluva nice guy.  Every year my family spends Easter on Siesta Key, Florida.  He's always plugging a nice breakfast and lunch place called the Broken Egg.  One year, my Dad & I are having breakfast, talking hoops (NCAA Tourney time) and I see this guy sort of staring at us from the next table.  Sure enough, he offers his opinion on what we were just chatting about and there no mistake...its Dickie V.  We ask him to join us and talk hoops, he gladly accepted. We chat about hoops for about 2 hours over coffee.  The guy loves the game very much and is about as knowledgable a person as there is about college hoops.  He even picked up the check.  Since then we have seen him there a few times, he still remembers our names, and we chat with him about hoops, life etc.

Does it get a bit old, sure.  But he really does love the game and is knowledgable about it.

649007[/snapback]

There is no question...the guy KNOWS his college hoop. It's unfortunate the network (that's my guess) has forced him into making sure there's a "diaper dandy" and a "Windex" guy, etc.,

in EVERY game.

His shtick is old and tired...he is still, however, an execllent/knowledgeable college b-ball analyst. Glad to hear he's also a nice guy.