Civ IV - Play by Email

Fezmid

I know several people here play Civilization IV. I was wondering if anyone wanted to play a PBEM (Play By EMail) game. I'd be willing to host it (once I read the docs and figure out how :D ). It's an awesome strategy game and I think it'd be fun to play with fellow Wallers.

If anyone's interested, post in the thread (or send me PM). Maybe we can try to get this started this weekend.

EDIT: Here's the game:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...g=UTF8&v=glance

CW

I know several people here play Civilization IV.  I was wondering if anyone wanted to play a PBEM (Play By EMail) game.  I'd be willing to host it (once I read the docs and figure out how :D ).  It's an awesome strategy game and I think it'd be fun to play with fellow Wallers.

If anyone's interested, post in the thread (or send me PM).  Maybe we can try to get this started this weekend.

CW

647744[/snapback]

i'd love to join in but i have a feeling that it will go incredibly slow. Sort of to the point that it would take a really long time to finish a game, and i'm waiting for Civ creators to fix the bugs in the game. Or else, maybe i'll join in.

i'd love to join in but i have a feeling that it will go incredibly slow.  Sort of to the point that it would take a really long time to finish  a game, and i'm waiting for Civ creators to fix the bugs in the game.  Or else, maybe i'll join in.

647750[/snapback]

you have updated the latest patch? It does correct a number of issues for those who had them.

you have updated the latest patch? It does correct a number of issues for those who had them.

647753[/snapback]

no

i deleted it because my video card went down, and i'm gonna redownload it. Right now i'm hooked on the game mafia and C&C generals, but i plan on starting to play again. Civ feels more of a winter game.

i'd love to join in but i have a feeling that it will go incredibly slow.  Sort of to the point that it would take a really long time to finish  a game, and i'm waiting for Civ creators to fix the bugs in the game.  Or else, maybe i'll join in.

647750[/snapback]

It'll probably be relatively slow compared to a regular game, but I'm thinking of doing more than 1 turn a day. Maybe a couple of turns on weekdays and three or four during weekends. I don't know, havn't looked at the logistics yet.

So would you be in or out? :D

CW

It'll probably be relatively slow compared to a regular game, but I'm thinking of doing more than 1 turn a day.  Maybe a couple of turns on weekdays and three or four during weekends.  I don't know, havn't looked at the logistics yet.

So would you be in or out? :D

CW

647778[/snapback]

i'll give it a shot, let me just download a copy now.

I wonder how the game runs on a AMD DURON 2800+ Nvidia Gefore FX 5200 with 512 DDR.

It didn't run very well on my other video card but that one died on me.

Just did a little more research on PBEM. Looks like player A mails their file to player B who mails their file to player C, who mails back to player A, etc.

That means you could (theoreticaly) get a lot of turns done quickly...

CW

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I"m going to try setting this up.

Send me your email addresses you want to use and we'll set it up.

I'm using a "small" world (so that it won't take as many system resources for people, plus we should run into each other quicker), and the only option I'll turn on is "Permenant alliances" Everything else is default.

There will be 4 human players and 1 AI player (unless someone else wants to join).

I'll use "Random" starting civs, unless people feel strongly against that.

The sooner I hear, the sooner we start!

As an update - the process is pretty simple. I start the game, make my moves, and then a file is saved in My Documents\MyGames\Civ IV\pbem. The filename says who to mail it to -- so you simply email the file to the person, they make their move, and mail it on to the next person. Theoretically, if people were online at the same time, we could breeze through some early turns extremely quickly.

CW

I know several people here play Civilization IV.  I was wondering if anyone wanted to play a PBEM (Play By EMail) game.  I'd be willing to host it (once I read the docs and figure out how :huh: ).  It's an awesome strategy game and I think it'd be fun to play with fellow Wallers.

If anyone's interested, post in the thread (or send me PM).  Maybe we can try to get this started this weekend.

CW

647744[/snapback]

Maybe next time. I'm too busy packing to move for the next month.