What's the best question you have asked/been asked

I actually was asked this question in an investment banking interview a few years back...You are in a room with three light switches. Each controls one of three light bulbs in the next room. You must determine which switch controls which bulb. All lights are off. You may flick only two switches and enter the room with the light bulbs only once. How would you determine which switch controls which light bulb?

Answer: Turn one light bulb on for about twenty minutes. Then turn it off. Turn another switch on. Then enter the room and feel the two bulbs that are off. The hot one will be attached to the switch that you just turned off.

647145[/snapback]

With your tongue.

Oh and I double dog dare you.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, let's pretend I hire you and you work here for twenty years.  Its your retirement party and I'm asked to say a few things about you and your work here and your relationships with friends.  What are the five most important things you would want me to be able to say about you?

647119[/snapback]

Solid tenny. I like that.

Why? That can sour a good candidate, and possibly end up with hiring a guy who's a quick liar.

Being a wise guy during interviewing seldom pays off.

647069[/snapback]

I'm not looking for jokes. I'm looking for one question that you may have asked or been asked that was different from the typical "Describe a time when you took the initiative to....." In an hour interview, I have plenty of time to ask the "interview" questions. I like to see the reaction of someone having to answer a question they have never thought of before.

Not looking for wise guys, just looking for someone who is personable and can think on their feet. And by the way, everyone lies in interviews. It's the interviewer's job to see through that.

Okay legit questions:

What is your biggest strength?

What is you biggest weakness?

If I was to talk with your coworkers what would they say about you?

What color are your underwear? (if a female candidate)

Why are you leaving your current job?

Ask about there next to last job? Why did they leave that? What do they miss about it? Did they ever consider moving back and why didn't they? (This question shows if they are bitter about certain things in curent job, they maybe more willing to open up about the job before that)

Q: How many pancakes does it take to cover a doghouse?

A: Purple, because ice cream has no bones.

If he gets that right, spend the rest of the interview trading Caddyshack quotes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Seriously, the only odd-ball question I've ever had asked to me in an interview was "Why are man-hole covers round?" This is an old question to see how creative/quick-thinking the subject is. I answered "A round cover will not slip down a round hole." She sat there waiting for me to continue. After about 30 seconds, I said "You don't want me to make something up, do you?" I'm a left-brain kind of guy.

applying for a job stocking shelves at wegmans before starting graduate studies

"and what role will wegmans play in your future after you get your degree?"

me: uh...i'll shop here?

i wouldn't mind working for wegmans really...if they had positions for chemical engineering

I once attended an interview that went like this --

About 20 of us were herded into a large board room. After sitting around for about 5-10 minutes, we all started to talk and wonder what was going on. Another 20 or so minutes went by. Some of us sat silent, some of us struck up converstations. Suddenly the owner of this company steps in the room and asks three guys by name to stand up and introduce themselves.

Long story short - That was the interview! The three guys were planted in our group and picked a few people to stay behind and be hired BASED ON HOW OUTGOING WE WERE DURING THE TIME IN THE BOARD ROOM!!!!

To make it even more bizzare the open positions were for doing computer tech support...No questions about compuer knowledge, past employment, Etc....

One question I was asked (and later used when I was hiring) was : How many gas stations are there in the United States?

Good question as it shows you how someone thinks and what they know.

The key is for the person to have an understanding of how many people live in the U.S., how many may be of driving age and own a car, and how many gas stations would be needed to provide gas to that number of drivers.

The right number isn't the important part - the ability to take a data point and extrapolate from it to arrive at a plausible number is what's key - how well does this person think

(when I was asked this question I thought it out, showed how I arrived at my number and then when I sent the thank you for the interview later in the day made sure I had found the real number from the Internet and included it - it got me the job!).

I once attended an interview that went like this --

About 20 of us were herded into a large board room.  After sitting around for about 5-10 minutes, we all started to talk and wonder what was going on.  Another 20 or so minutes went by.  Some of us sat silent, some of us struck up converstations.  Suddenly the owner of this company steps in the room and asks three guys by name to stand up and introduce themselves.

Long story short - That was the interview!  The three guys were planted in our group and picked a few people to stay behind and be hired BASED ON HOW OUTGOING WE WERE DURING THE TIME IN THE BOARD ROOM!!!! 

To make it even more bizzare the open positions were for doing computer tech support...No questions about compuer knowledge, past employment, Etc....

647295[/snapback]

It sounds like you were applying to sell knives at Cutco.

I went for this interview about a year ago at a pharmaceutical research place. I was spplying for a project coordinator position. I went through a three hour interview with all of these mid-level people before I reached "the big boss." She went on to explain that she hated when people asked her questions, she wasn't there to babysit, she wasn't fond of men, and she wasn't there to teach.

She asked me what kind of manager I was looking for (at this point, I DID NOT want to work here), and I stated, "not someone like you. You seem like a tyrant." I got up, shook her hand, and left.

I was offered the job three days later, which I turned down (in retrospect, I should have taken it!)

I'm not looking for jokes.  I'm looking for one question that you may have asked or been asked that was different from the typical "Describe a time when you took the initiative to....."  In an hour interview, I have plenty of time to ask the "interview" questions.  I like to see the reaction of someone having to answer a question they have never thought of before.

Not looking for wise guys, just looking for someone who is personable and can think on their feet.  And by the way, everyone lies in interviews.  It's the interviewer's job to see through that.

647158[/snapback]

Not sure it fits, but I had a girlfriend who on the first date asked me "What was the best gift that I ever gave and ever got?" It's really a terrific question, and I think it says a good deal about a person from their answer.

No word of a lie - i was once asked the following question at interview:

"Is torture justified?"

647146[/snapback]

You guys from the Ministry of Defense (or whatever you really call it) are SO much fun at a tailgate. :o

:doh:

You guys from the Ministry of Defense (or whatever you really call it) are SO much fun at a tailgate.  :o 

:doh:

648484[/snapback]

Hey, I get asked thing like "When did you last attend a nuclear targeting training update"? Or,

"What's the last mass-casualty table top scenario you worked on"

Probably not real appropriate in this case.