What's the best question you have asked/been asked

I'm filling a position at work for a Supervisor who will report to me. I always like to throw a few off-the-wall (that terrible pun was intended!) questions at them. Since everyone here has probably has experience on at least one side of the interview table, what's the best question you have ever asked or been asked in an interview?

Mine was probably for my current position, I was interviewing with a fairly high-level manager. He was talking about himself and said he used to live in Tampa. I had just happened to be in Tampa the weekend before visiting friends, so I told him that. His first response: "Did you go to Mons Venus?" (For the unenlightened, Mons is one of the finest nude lady dancing establishments in the US.) And yes, I did attend, and yes I told him so. That was my favorite.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm filling a position at work for a Supervisor who will report to me.  I always like to throw a few off-the-wall (that terrible pun was intended!) questions at them.

647015[/snapback]

Why? That can sour a good candidate, and possibly end up with hiring a guy who's a quick liar.

Being a wise guy during interviewing seldom pays off.

Look, let's pretend I hire you and you work here for twenty years. Its your retirement party and I'm asked to say a few things about you and your work here and your relationships with friends. What are the five most important things you would want me to be able to say about you?

A few years ago, I was called in to give a second part of an interview for a junior investigator position in our compliance department at an Exchange in New York City. The guys that had done the first part were smirking and asked me see if the guy would fit in. They also mentioned that the guy may be a Bills fan (they saw a Buffalo address for High school).

I looked over the resume, and walked in, I looked at him across the table and said "What's your favorite football team?" The kid was stunned, but replied Buffalo Bills. I asked him if he though they had wasted a pick on Jim Kelly (he was still in the USFL at the time), he kinda shrugged and said "We will have to wait and see". I could tell the guy was getting nervous since I hadn't asked him anything about the job. I then asked about his freshman high school biology teacher, as well as the school disciplinarian.

I finally said that I had attended St. Joes a few years before him and we ended up chatting for a while. After the interview, I told the two guy who would be responsible for him that as long as he met thier requirements, I was fine with him, and even if he didn't meet thier requirements, the guy still did fine with my questions. We ended up hiring the guy with no further interviews.

That's Marine. 

And it was a joke.  I guess being as old and crotchety as you are, you missed that.  :blink:

647131[/snapback]

Oh..a joke! Had it been anyone but a marine, I would have assumed it was a joke! :P Only kidding. God you jarheads are as sensitive as girl scouts. Apologies to the girl scouts. :lol::lol:

I actually was asked this question in an investment banking interview a few years back...You are in a room with three light switches. Each controls one of three light bulbs in the next room. You must determine which switch controls which bulb. All lights are off. You may flick only two switches and enter the room with the light bulbs only once. How would you determine which switch controls which light bulb?

Answer: Turn one light bulb on for about twenty minutes. Then turn it off. Turn another switch on. Then enter the room and feel the two bulbs that are off. The hot one will be attached to the switch that you just turned off.