Unmanned Surveilance drones over America

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stealthiness?

647222[/snapback]

You mean like the cop with the radar gun hiding behind a bush at night vs the one sitting in the median on a straightway in broad daylight?

Since both of you had the same reply - the answer is better utility.  How different is an unmanned drone from a manned police helicopter? 

Other than the creepy Big Brother feel to it?

Cue, the music, Johnny.

647210[/snapback]

The helicopter drowns out the creepy music. The drone invades your privacy.

You mean like the cop with the radar gun hiding behind a bush at night vs the one sitting in the median on a straightway in broad daylight?

647237[/snapback]

Yes exactly. Except that one carries a pistol and the other carries laser guided Hellfire missles. :blink:

Since both of you had the same reply - the answer is better utility.  How different is an unmanned drone from a manned police helicopter? 

Other than the creepy Big Brother feel to it?

Cue, the music, Johnny.

647210[/snapback]

It costs less money overall?

The helicopter drowns out the creepy music.  The drone invades your privacy.

647240[/snapback]

So you have no problem with your "privacy" being invaded by government surveilance, as long as it's loud.

Got it.

So you have no problem with your "privacy" being invaded by government surveilance, as long as it's loud.

Got it.

647349[/snapback]

Makes about as much sense as others having no problem because it's cheap.

I don't think your "radar on the side of the road vs. behind a bush" argument is applicable. I've tried to do a search for the case law making it legal, but can't find anything. Maybe if Mickey's lurking he can chime in through me via PM.

That being said, a road is not personal private property. I don't think you could extrapolate from traffic enforcement radar that it's cool to use surveillence drones on people in their homes. I am assuming we're talking about using drones for warrentless spying.

So, my feeling on the matter would be to not have them flying around at all. Unless you have a specific target and have a specific warrant to use the drone on that target. No way do I want unmanned drones trolling for criminal activity. Of course, the Bush Admin is arguing that no warrant is necessary when fighting their war, so I'm sure the point is moot.

To sum:

Radar on the side of the road behind a bush is OK.

Radar in the air endorsed by a Bush is not OK.

That being said, a road is not personal private property.  I don't think you could extrapolate from traffic enforcement radar that it's cool to use surveillence drones on people in their homes.  I am assuming we're talking about using drones for warrentless spying. 

647674[/snapback]

Wait...using drones to spy on people in their homes?

What, your house doesn't have a roof? :D

If these satellites exist, which I'm pretty sure they do...then why the need for unmanned drones? One thing that comes to mind is weaponry.

It seems very possible that they might want to arm these buggers every once in a while for a little "crowd control."

This is a bit more "conspiracy theory" than I usually allow myself, but what the hell...it's Thursday.

647196[/snapback]

Satellites are constrained by orbital mechanics (unless you're Newbie). Aircraft aren't. And you'll frequently find that both time and place are important in...well, life in general.

What, your house doesn't have a roof?  :D

647700[/snapback]

Can it see through windows?

I honestly am a dumbass when it comes to this type of stuff.

Satellites are constrained by orbital mechanics (unless you're Newbie).  Aircraft aren't.  And you'll frequently find that both time and place are important in...well, life in general.

647702[/snapback]

No it doesn't. I got shot today by being in the wrong time from some guy over in Iraq.

What, your house doesn't have a roof?  :blink:

647700[/snapback]

Windows. :D

Did you hear about the case in London where some "security officials" were spying into the house of a woman while she was changing and such? But that won't happen here. :w00t:

Screw the constitution, who needs checks and balances anyway, as long as you have nothing to hide yourself. :lol:

Whatever happened to "We'd rather let 1000 criminals go free than to falsely convict one innocent person?" I thought these were what our country was founded on. Oh I'm sorry, things have "changed" now and I'm a terrorist supporter if I disagree with the changes. :lol:

CW

What, your house doesn't have a roof?   :D

647700[/snapback]

I was assuming that the drones had other capabilities, ones that would be a bit more advanced than a pair of binoculars.

EDIT:

Frome the article...(emphasis mine)

"We need additional technology to supplement manned aircraft surveillance and current ground assets to ensure more effective monitoring of United States territory."

Seems like a pretty vague statement. Look, I'm not being some paranoid nut. You know better than I what the drones are capable of carrying for equipment and technology (wave for the camera Osama). In the possibility that they would ever get used, what constraints on their use would there be? Would they require a warrant to be deployed? Why is it out of the realm of possibility that an administration such as the Bush Admin, whose record with regards to civil rights is a bit, shall we say, sketchy, wouldn't use them indescriminently?

Edited by Johnny Coli

The only people that should care about this are the people who are doing bad things. Just the terrorists. I'm not doing anything wrong so I don't mind being monitored by unmanned drones. The government can watch me all day long for all I care.

Same with wiretapping.

646550[/snapback]

yap

keep giving up your freedom.