• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can't get Patrick, call, in order:

Bill Hajt

Jerry Korab

Lee Fogolin

Jaque Gueveremont

646712[/snapback]

are Ken Sutton and Mike Wilson not available? I mean this team needs big slow defencemen afarid of their own shadows, don't they

So those Sabres fans on this board who said they want to play the Devils, still want them?? :doh:

This is why I save my $ and NOT go see the Sabres in New Jersey...there just is no point...

I'm sorry fellow Sabres fans, but now that the Sabres are done with the Ruins, Pens, Caps, teams like that, this team is being exposed a bit.

What a listless, lifeless performance that was.

And now we're starting a new losing streak :doh: ! We lost 3-1 to Devils tonight.

IMO, this isn't simply a losing spell. The Sabres are not an elite hockey team yet. There are problem areas that need to be aggressively addressed in free agency this offseason.

It's been a fun year, and making the playoffs is a huge, positive step from a couple seasons ago where our franchise was facing extinction. But let's face the reality - we need better defensemen and an elite goal scorer if we want to seriously challenge the Ottawas of the league.

And now we're starting a new losing streak  :doh: ! We lost 3-1 to Devils tonight.

IMO, this isn't simply a losing spell. The Sabres are not an elite hockey team yet. There are problem areas that need to be aggressively addressed in free agency this offseason.

It's been a fun year, and making the playoffs is a huge, positive step from a couple seasons ago where our franchise was facing extinction. But let's face the reality - we need better defensemen and an elite goal scorer if we want to seriously challenge the Ottawas of the league.

647884[/snapback]

Bingo!

Who thought we were an elite team coming into the season?

The elite teams are still spending 25% more money than the Sabres are. It's the reality that we're always going to face.

We played a good game tonight - dominated pretty much the first 2 periods and got caught a couple times in the third when we were taking chances to try and get back in. It was a nice showing for a team that played last night, traveled, lost their best player to a ridiculous suspension and their best defensemen to injury (special thanks to Fitzpatrick for figuring mightily into the backbreaking second goal).

Those of you bitching about Darcy are ignoring the realities of his job. He's doing awesome and the future is VERY bright for this group. Sorry he didn't toss a draft choice away on a journeyman defensemen and instead thought long term about the message he would send his young team. A team that is learning how to win the same way the BILLS did right before they started their run.

Get over yourselves.

Those of you bitching about Darcy are ignoring the realities of his job.  He's doing awesome and the future is VERY bright for this group.  Sorry he didn't toss a draft choice away on a journeyman defensemen and instead thought long term about the message he would send his young team.  A team that is learning how to win the same way the BILLS did right before they started their run.

Get over yourselves.

647898[/snapback]

I couldn't agree with this more. Good job Darcy.

This team is missing Hecht alot. That Dumont, Briere, Hecht line was dominating all comers before he got hurt. And Miller really has been playing inconsistently, but (like JP) he's young and needs to be in there throughout, even though i am a huge marty biron fan. But this team is just a bit snake bit right now, and are simply not capitalizing on as many chances as they were before. I think they'll be fine, and may not be elite but they are damn good. And in hockey the "elite" teams always seem to choke in the playoffs. Every year is Ottawa's year during the regular season and every year the playoffs tell a different story. Go Sabres.

How many times have we witnessed the playoffs being filled with upsets? Top seeds getting wiped out in the first round and low seeds having a deep run are fairly common in the NHL playoffs. The Sabres need to shake off this slump and find a way to raise the bar against the teams that are consistently beating them: Ottawa, Carolina, New Jersey and Atlanta. The deficits in the slump are either one or two goals except for the 5-0 game against Atlanta. Get out of the slump and get ready for the new season.

Those of you bitching about Darcy are ignoring the realities of his job.  He's doing awesome and the future is VERY bright for this group.  Sorry he didn't toss a draft choice away on a journeyman defensemen and instead thought long term about the message he would send his young team.  A team that is learning how to win the same way the BILLS did right before they started their run.

Get over yourselves.

647898[/snapback]

So you are telling me trading, let's say, a 3rd round pick for a solid blueliner who can help a team that was 4th OVERALL in the NHL at the time would be too much, or mortaging the future?

And this was after fetching a 2nd rounder for a 3rd string goaltender, Regier could not turn around a deal a 3rd for a steady D guy? I guess that is throwing away the future, did not realize that :doh:

It is not like I was dreaming of a guy like Lidstrom, even a guy like Carney would have been great, and yes I do agree with you about the realities of Darcy's job

Get over yourselves.

647898[/snapback]

That is the on going problem with the Sabres, we are always up and coming. It is not about bringing in a journeyman instead of building for the future. It is about bringing in some new blood at the deadline to infuse the team. It is a long season, teams that are successful always bring in a little new blood at some point....

We played a good game tonight - dominated pretty much the first 2 periods and got caught a couple times in the third when we were taking chances to try and get back in.  It was a nice showing for a team that played last night, traveled, lost their best player to a ridiculous suspension and their best defensemen to injury (special thanks to Fitzpatrick for figuring mightily into the backbreaking second goal).

647898[/snapback]

I agree. If the Sabres started with the Devils in a 7 game series I wouldn't be too worried. Buffalo's missing forecheck actually looked pretty good last night, and I thought Novotny-Gaustad-Pomminville were a lot of fun to watch. And for playing back to back games they skated well.

The funny thing is that the Devils have the reputation of not taking penalties. But I thought there were at least three they got away with last night. The most puzzling thing since the Olympic break has been the consistency of the officiating.

Who thought we were an elite team coming into the season?

The elite teams are still spending 25% more money than the Sabres are.  It's the reality that we're always going to face. 

We played a good game tonight - dominated pretty much the first 2 periods and got caught a couple times in the third when we were taking chances to try and get back in.  It was a nice showing for a team that played last night, traveled, lost their best player to a ridiculous suspension and their best defensemen to injury (special thanks to Fitzpatrick for figuring mightily into the backbreaking second goal).

Get over yourselves.

647898[/snapback]

There's possibly a contradiction within your post.

On one hand, you say that the reality of Sabres hockey is that we'll always be spending 25% less than the elite teams.

Then on the other hand, you say that the future is bright because of all our good, young talent.

But how do we expect to RETAIN our good, young talent if we always have a monetary handicap? Are we destined to be a perpetual farm club for the elite teams, or are Darcy/Golisano going to stop being cheapskates and open up the wallets this offseason? What are we playing for, anyway? To win a Stanley Cup now for Buffalo? Or to give our young guys valuable experience that they can use to help their new teams 2-3 years from now win a Stanley Cup?

Also, FWIW, I think Sabres fans have every right to B word about DR's inability to address the team's need for better defensemen. As great of a job he's done this season (there's no denying that), he could have done even BETTER if he had been more aggressive in the offseason and season for defensive help.

what is funny is that if Niles had made a deal for some non-playoff teams 5th defensemen, and then we go on this losing streak...all of you would be bitching and whining that he disruped the chemistry of this close knit team...trust me..some POS D-man from a team that sucks, would not have helped this team...you make deals, when you can get a Blake or some other guy that would make a difference...as god awful as Rory is...he is unfortunately better than any scrub we would have got in a trade....

Also, FWIW, I think Sabres fans have every right to B word about DR's inability to address the team's need for better defensemen. As great of a job he's done this season (there's no denying that), he could have done even BETTER if he had been more aggressive in the offseason and season for defensive help.

648447[/snapback]

Like who? Which player should he have signed besides Lydman and Teppo? It's really easy to talk about it but the reality is alot different when you have a limited budget and pretty much the same needs as everyone else. That's why guys Lamarillo missed so bad with McGillis, Malakov, (defensemen) and Mogilny (finisher) and the Blackhawks gave $4 million per for Aucoin. Everyone wanted Neidermeyer and that's why he got the money he got - but he wasn't playing anywhere his brother wasn't and even if he did we couldn't afford him.

At the end of the day it's certainly possible to win a SC when you can spend within 25% of the elite teams in the NHL. NJ and Tampa have proven that. In the past the Sabres were about 200% behind the top spenders. That's a pretty big change.

The more aggressive thing is a crock. He spent pretty close to his limit (I remember the bitching when Teppo was signed) and has a very entertaining one hundred point team that is in the playoffs. I guess it's just easier to criticize than it is to face reality.