Dems are the party of National Security?

What I fail to understand is why anyone here sees this election-year partisan pandering to the voting public is any different than what either party has done in the past, is doing right now, and will always do in the future. I mean, seriously. How would this be any different if the parties were reversed?

645473[/snapback]

It wouldn't be different. And it's no different than in the past. Neither one of these parties can put together a coherent message, and in my lifetime the party with the least incoherent message wins. Right now, that's the Republicans...not because they're coherent, but because they're just coherent enough.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't I say that? There is no difference between the parties.

645483[/snapback]

Yes, that was generally meant for those other than you. You do make that point often.

Oh great Bib, you are basing your evaluation on anything Kit Bond is saying, that justifies your analysis. Sure it is election politicing duh, and so is Bush flying around the country trying to drum up support for Iraq.

Your and CTM statement that all Dems do is try and dismantle everything that is good in the military is false. Yeh, there are some liberal pacifist and some right wing isolationist that would do so, but these statements are insult to the members of my family, Democrats actively politically that have served.

How is your blanket criticisms different then your accusation the all Dems do is try and screw up everything (paraphrasing) that is Republican. That is what Republicans do. Also we are not uniformally big spenders, I am a fiscal conservative that wants my money spent effectively and the budget balanced. My priorities are different than righties, but I believe in sound fiscal management.

Common, you are better than that...unless !! lightbulb!! you are just looking to instigate...hmmm that would be more along your vein of tactics.

P.S. You will know the plan at 1pm est. Democrats to Unveil Comprehensive Real Security Program

Washington, D.C.-House and Senate Democrats will hold a major event tomorrow at 1 p.m. to unveil the comprehensive Democratic plan to protect America: Real Security. Despite their tough talk, Republican's incompetence has made America less safe. Democrats will offer tough and smart policies to provide the real security that Americans expect and demand.

WHO:

Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid

House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi

Senator Jack Reed

Congressman Ike Skelton

House and Senate Democrats

General Wesley Clark

Madeleine Albright, former Secretary of State

Joe Wynn, the National Association of Black Veterans

Harold Schaitberger, President, International Association of Fire Fighters

WHAT: Announcement of Real Security, the comprehensive Democratic plan to protect America

WHEN: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 at 1:00 PM

Oh great Bib, you are basing your evaluation on anything Kit Bond is saying, that justifies your analysis.  Sure it is election politicing duh, and so is Bush flying around the country trying to drum up support for Iraq. 

Your and CTM statement that all Dems do is try and dismantle everything that is good in the military is false. Yeh, there are some liberal pacifist and some right wing isolationist that would do so, but these statements are insult to the members of my family, Democrats actively politically that have served.

How is your blanket criticisms different then your accusation the all Dems do is try and screw up everything (paraphrasing) that is Republican. That is what Republicans do.  Also we are not uniformally big spenders, I am a fiscal conservative that wants my money spent effectively and the budget balanced.  My priorities are different than righties, but I believe in sound fiscal management. 

Common, you are better than that...unless !! lightbulb!! you are just looking to instigate...hmmm that would be more along your vein of tactics.

P.S. You will know the plan at 1pm est.  Democrats to Unveil Comprehensive Real Security Program

Washington, D.C.-House and Senate Democrats will hold a major event tomorrow at 1 p.m. to unveil the comprehensive Democratic plan to protect America: Real Security. Despite their tough talk, Republican's incompetence has made America less safe. Democrats will offer tough and smart policies to provide the real security that Americans expect and demand.

WHO:

Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid

House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi

Senator Jack Reed

Congressman Ike Skelton

House and Senate Democrats

General Wesley Clark

Madeleine Albright, former Secretary of State

Joe Wynn, the National Association of Black Veterans

WHAT: Announcement of Real Security, the comprehensive Democratic plan to protect America

WHEN: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 at 1:00 PM

645532[/snapback]

Anything including the both the concept of national security and Nancy Pelose is by definition an oxymoron. B-)

Sort of where I figured this was going to go...

Like I said, I'll look forward to the actual document. I'm not besmirching your family, or anyone who has served, or anything like that. Also, like I said, I've seen some of their ideas over the last few years and if it is more of the same, it is, IMO, not the right direction to take. More later.

Not what I'm saying at all.

645560[/snapback]

Just wanted to clarify, your rhetoric seemed to be getting awfully partisan. Was just wondering. I will grant you that my folks often speek out both sides of their mouths on issues. But they all believe in National defense, but they also hate Bush with a passion, like GOPers hated Clinton. Even when they agree with him.

Man I am glad I have loosened my hold on that daily resentment, now it only weekly.

Just wanted to clarify, your rhetoric seemed to be getting awfully partisan.  Was just wondering.  I will grant you that my folks often speek out both sides of their mouths on issues.  But they all believe in National defense, but they also hate Bush with a passion, like GOPers hated Clinton.  Even when they agree with him. 

Man I am glad I have loosened my hold on that daily resentment, now it only weekly.

645576[/snapback]

I'm actually not partisan here. I just happen to know some of the mindsets in DC regarding these issues and smell a turd getting ready to get launched. We have discussed lobbying before. It shouldn't surprise you that that can extend to Homeland Defense policy. That's why I highlighted the fire fighter guy. A lot of dem initiated ideas are to throw a whole bunch of money at the cities for a series of "programs" that can be colored security. The reality is subsidizing a lot of services and activities that would result in little, if any actual increase in security, but would relieve a lot of inner city issues.

I'm actually not partisan here. I just happen to know some of the mindsets in DC regarding these issues and smell a turd getting ready to get launched. We have discussed lobbying before. It shouldn't surprise you that that can extend to Homeland Defense policy. That's why I highlighted the fire fighter guy. A lot of dem initiated ideas are to throw a whole bunch of money at the cities for a series of "programs" that can be colored security. The reality is subsidizing a lot of services and activities that would result in little, if any actual increase in security, but would relieve a lot of inner city issues.

645585[/snapback]

The can buy garbage trucks.

The can buy garbage trucks.

645588[/snapback]

You're likely going to hear something along the lines that the government has hopelessly and shamelessly ignored ensuring adequate emergency response, disaster recovery and population aiding assets in many large urban areas that will also be called high profile terrorist targets.

Just wanted to clarify, your rhetoric seemed to be getting awfully partisan.  Was just wondering.  I will grant you that my folks often speek out both sides of their mouths on issues.  But they all believe in National defense, but they also hate Bush with a passion, like GOPers hated Clinton.  Even when they agree with him. 

645576[/snapback]

Ditto here. I never said that either.

I said I've never heard a coherent national security policy from the Democratic Party. I have specific complaints with the Clinton Administration's policy towards the military, right from that "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" stupidity onward. But I wouldn't accuse the entire Democratic of being firmly and maliciously anti-military.

Most I'd ever say is that I believe their view and presentation of what national security actually is dangerously inaccurate - for rational reasons having nothing to do with it being the Democratic Party we're talking about. As Tom Delay and Nancy Pelosi both demonstrate, stupid is effectively non-partisan.

They don't have the budget like Bush has to put those big signs up behind him during his speeches, like "The Plan For Victory".

645659[/snapback]

...but somehow, they seem to be finding that budget since their plan includes it. They support the troops because they have flags behind them during their staged press conferences. B-)

"Supporting the troops" is the easy part for both parties. My concerns are philosophy and policy direction. As it stands, I'm not expecting much out of the Republicans at this point either when it comes to campaign antics. DPW proved that - but IMO they are less likely to try to undo a lot of things that have already been done. The list of names that Possum on the Halfshell listed is enough to frighten me. And it's NOT because they are democrats. It's how they think. Unless there has been some kind of huge epiphany in that group, I have a good idea where their takes are.

"Supporting the troops" is the easy part for both parties. My concerns are philosophy and policy direction. As it stands, I'm not expecting much out of the Republicans at this point either when it comes to campaign antics. DPW proved that - but IMO they are less likely to try to undo a lot of things that have already been done. The list of names that Possum on the Halfshell listed is enough to frighten me. And it's NOT because they are democrats. It's how they think. Unless there has been some kind of huge epiphany in that group, I have a good idea where their takes are.

645705[/snapback]

The problem here is that this is blatant electioneering for mid-terms, meaning that this is focused on Congressional races. Congress cannot deploy more special forces, pull troops out, etc. All they can do is provide "resources" (i.e. money). So, their plan is to just spend more money to fix the problems? Isn't that their main complaint right now with the Republicans, that too much money is being spent? Nice "plan" guys. B-)

The problem here is that this is blatant electioneering for mid-terms, meaning that this is focused on Congressional races. Congress cannot deploy more special forces, pull troops out, etc. All they can do is provide "resources" (i.e. money). So, their plan is to just spend more money to fix the problems? Isn't that their main complaint right now with the Republicans, that too much money is being spent? Nice "plan" guys.  B-)

645712[/snapback]

Look at the quote I highlighted in my original post under tactics. I saw that and went WHAT???

Look at the quote I highlighted in my original post under tactics. I saw that and went WHAT???

645715[/snapback]

That seems to be the Democratic solution for everything. If there is a problem, it is because we are not spending enough money. Just keep spending until the problem goes away. B-)

That seems to be the Democratic solution for everything. If there is a problem, it is because we are not spending enough money. Just keep spending until the problem goes away.  B-)

645719[/snapback]

More firetrucks will save us.