I need a medical translation.

Anyone know medical terminology?

Fairly large rotator cuff tear with partial retraction of the

supraspinatus tendon, impingement, attenuation subscapularis

tendon.

Her regular doctor (who gave her the results) told her to get ahold of her orthopedic surgeon first thing this morning.

Anyone know medical terminology? 

Fairly large rotator cuff tear with partial retraction of the

supraspinatus tendon, impingement, attenuation subscapularis

tendon.

Her regular doctor (who gave her the results) told her to get ahold of her orthopedic surgeon first thing this morning.

645310[/snapback]

sounds like the tendon (which is like a rubber band with glue at one end) attaching the supraspinatus muscle, is partly torn and pulling back...like a rubber band that is stetched out and about to break. the other tendon is "merely" stretched. it sounds nasty and painful. i'm sorry to hear someone you care about has suffered this! B-)

Medical advise or translation here is like getting financial advise from Mike Tyson.

Good luck to your Mrs.

645311[/snapback]

why is that? Just because you or I can't offer a translation doesn't mean Rubes or some sports medicine type can't offer a plain language explanation.

sounds like the tendon (which is like a rubber band with glue at one end) attaching the supraspinatus muscle, is partly torn and pulling back...like a rubber band that is stetched out and about to break.  the other tendon is "merely" stretched.  it sounds nasty and painful.  i'm sorry to hear someone you care about has suffered this! B-)

645317[/snapback]

I'm not sure about the "partial retraction", but I'm pretty sure you hit the rest.

Bottom line, though, is that her shoulder is VSF. Doc's right, get to an orthopedist and schedule the surgery; I don't think that can be rehabed back in to shape.

I'm not sure about the "partial retraction", but I'm pretty sure you hit the rest.

Doc's right, get to an orthopedist and schedule the surgery;

645351[/snapback]

And pleas show this thread to the Doc, as I am sure a weight will be lifted from his shoulders when he sees that CTM has agreed with him B-):doh:

And pleas show this thread to the Doc, as I am sure a weight will be lifted from his shoulders when he sees that CTM has agreed with him B-)  :doh:

645355[/snapback]

Actually, I've got bursitis and a damaged rotator cuff in my shoulder. So I do know a little bit about it. Hell, at this point I can even read an MRI pretty well.

Sounds like you'll be doing a lot of cooking and laundry.  The good news is- she'll probably need help in the shower.

645362[/snapback]

Not only cooking and laundry, but since we're self employed, well, I'll be working, then cooking, then cleaning the house, then laundry, then shower help, then I scream!!!!

The good news (lemonaide out of lemons) is that when she gets better, she'll agree for me to see a Bills game in Buffalo! (She no likes the football. She is all about the baseball, and cries at the end of every World Series regardless of the winner, because Baseball season is over.)

Thank you everyone for your views on this. We're both just sitting here with the realization that life is gonna be "interesting" for the next 6 months or so.

ok , how did she do it ? during love making ? B-)  :doh:

645387[/snapback]

I wish!!!

Actually, I think this has been building for years! We're both Master Gardeners, and our business is in Landscape Detail. (Border color, disease/insect control of plants, minor irrigation repairs, etc.) She's been doing this for damn close to 25 years. She first felt a major turn in her shoulder though, when she went to L.A. over last Labor Day to help move stuff out of her mom's home to get it ready for sale.

Bottom line, though, is that her shoulder is VSF.  Doc's right, get to an orthopedist and schedule the surgery; I don't think that can be rehabed back in to shape.

645351[/snapback]

i think i got the retracted part right ...Check this out

EFFING OW! B-)

I wish!!!

Actually, I think this has been building for years!  We're both Master Gardeners, and our business is in Landscape Detail. (Border color, disease/insect control of plants, minor irrigation repairs, etc.)  She's been doing this for damn close to 25 years.  She first felt a major turn in her shoulder though, when she went to L.A. over last Labor Day to help move stuff out of her mom's home to get it ready for sale.

645394[/snapback]

To turn this thread completely on its ear, maybe you can help me. I live in Richmond va and have a large Magnolia in my front yard with lots of low hanging branches, some as big as an inch in diameter. Can I prune those suckers off now(makes cutting the yard a real Pain on the ass, and just looks unkempt).

I am somewhat scared as I pruned some branches from a maple I had in the fall of 04, and last year there was a noticable differance in the vitality and color of the leaves from the maple that sits right next to it.

I know said master gardeners, not master arborist, but thought i'd ask!!!

To turn this thread completely on its ear, maybe you can help me. I live in Richmond va and have a large Magnolia in my front yard with lots of low hanging branches, some as big as an inch in diameter. Can I prune those suckers off now(makes cutting the yard a real Pain on the ass, and just looks unkempt).

I am somewhat scared as I pruned some branches from a maple I had in the fall of 04, and last year there was a noticable differance in the vitality and color of the leaves from the maple that sits right next to it.

I know said master gardeners, not master arborist, but thought i'd ask!!!

645437[/snapback]

Go ahead and have fun! Just make sure you cut it back with no more than an 1/4 inch left on the branch, or you'll be doing this again in a couple of years.

Do it fairly soon. Not during the summer when it's too damn hot, and heat stress could cause issues down the line.

I had that last July. Tell her to take the "anesthesia block" and keep her under suicide watch when it wears off!

I hope you guys have a good recliner chair because it's impossible to lie down in bed for a few weeks post-op.

And no matter what, make her go to physical therapy after the surgery, without fail.

Good Luck! B-)

I didn't say he didn't; I just didn't know.

Okay, I kind-of implied he didn't...but I didn't mean to make that implication.  Poor phrasing.  My bad.  B-)

645433[/snapback]

eh...don't mention it...most of the time your implication would be justified.