New MNF Policy?

Was just reading an article by Peter King (don't ask why) and noticed that one reader asked why the Seahawks didn't get an opening weekend primetime slot. This is the response.

Each team is allowed one Monday-night appearance this year, so if ESPN wanted to use Seattle's appearance on its first Monday night, when the promotion throughout the offseason was already going to be heavy, the network would have blown its chance to use the Seahawks later in the season.

Link

I have not heard this, so sorry if this is old news. But it sounds like (if true), the Bills will get one MNF game this year. IMO, this is a good strategy for ESPN. Teams like Green Bay, Philly, and Dallas won't get 3-4 MNF games anymore.

Was just reading an article by Peter King (don't ask why) and noticed that one reader asked why the Seahawks didn't get an opening weekend primetime slot. This is the response.

Link

I have not heard this, so sorry if this is old news. But it sounds like (if true), the Bills will get one MNF game this year. IMO, this is a good strategy for ESPN. Teams like Green Bay, Philly, and Dallas won't get 3-4 MNF games anymore.

645152[/snapback]

Wow, interesting. I never heard of that until now. If this is true, I wonder who they'll feed us to on the road this year?

it will be their homecoming week...  :unsure:

645170[/snapback]

If this was high school, or college football, we'd be appearing on a lot of teams homecoming schedules. And if it was late in the year, we'd be the "Senior Day" opponent as well.

There's always next, next year.

Or Tedy's 2nd triumphant return from something.  :unsure:

645172[/snapback]

where dan patrick and theisman will be amazibng at how many "hits" he has; meanwhile, some buffalo fan will notice that the stat counts when he was toking up some dope.

Well these are our away teams for 2006

Miami, New England, N.Y. Jets, Houston, Indianapolis, Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore

I'll exclude the Jets, Houston, Detroit, and Baltimore as no one would watch those games most likely. I'll count out Chicago as well. Leaving us prime to face The Dolphins who pundits think are gonna be great this season. The annual ne prime time game we seem to have lately or the colts. Now if you're one of those people who believes the NFL Hates us, and wants to see us get totally ripped I believe if this mnf thing is true our opponent will be.....

The Indianapolis Colts at the RCA Dome

Here is one big hole in this claim:

Do a little math with me. First, there are two games the first week, so that is four teams. Then there are 16 more weeks, so that is 32 more teams. Add that together and there will are now slots for 36 teams.

But... there are only 32 teams in the entire league. Maybe a few games will feature NFLE teams.

Yes, Peter King may be wrong.

where dan patrick and theisman will be amazibng at how many "hits" he has; meanwhile, some buffalo fan will notice that the stat counts when he was toking up some dope.

645182[/snapback]

and suzy will be interviewing him with one hand on the mic. and the other fondling his package.

yes, you read right... just this once, SHE'S MAKING AN EXCEPTION...after all, it's TEDY.

Here is one big hole in this claim:

Do a little math with me. First, there are two games the first week, so that is four teams. Then there are 16 more weeks, so that is 32 more teams. Add that together and there will are now slots for 36 teams.

But... there are only 32 teams in the entire league. Maybe a few games will feature NFLE teams.

Yes, Peter King may be wrong.

645285[/snapback]

Anyone else do this math? I have kind of have a bad record dealing with numbers on this board. B-)

I'm having a tough time believing King is right (and not just because his name is Peter King). Why would a network pay huge bucks for the Monday night package only to have to show bad teams that don't draw large audiences?

I just can't imagine that they'd do that...but here's to hoping.

Wow. Interesting. If so, I think it would be the Pats. No one besides us wants to see the Bills, most everyone else will want to see the Pats, and the division rivalry would be about the only thing they could play up.

I'm having a tough time believing King is right (and not just because his name is Peter King).  Why would a network pay huge bucks for the Monday night package only to have to show bad teams that don't draw large audiences? 

I just can't imagine that they'd do that...but here's to hoping.

645314[/snapback]

IIRC, they had some match-ups last season that while they might have looked good when scheduled, ended up being a contest between two mangy dogs.

In any event, the folks who insist having the Packers and Cowboys infect my tv screen 15 times or more a season have a lot to answer for... B-)

Remember MNF is really the what the Sunday game was.

645309[/snapback]

Exactly. The Monday night game is going to be a chance for all teams to get at least 1 nationally televised game. The prime (or projected to be prime) game is going to be on Sunday night - doubt we'll see the Bills there (although I believe the Sunday night games have some room to be changed during theseason so NBC doesn't have to predict good matchups now - If the Bill suddenly start contending they could get a Sunday night game, but I'd bet my house against it).

MNF isn't what it used to be.

and suzy will be interviewing him with one hand on the mic. and the other fondling his package.

yes, you read right... just this once, SHE'S MAKING AN EXCEPTION...after all, it's TEDY.

645286[/snapback]

;);):lol::D

Now, if we would have that in track, I'm sure guys would run faster for us (we both are coaches)