Time to Rant about

MrLocke

First off Jauron seems to be making the same mistake Greggo did when he was first hired. Lets play "46" defense regardless of the personnel that is here. Just replace "46" with "cover two" and it is exactly what Jauron is doing. Why can't we get a coach flexible enough to actually tailor the scheme to the personnel? If Jauron was like this maybe Sam Adams would have stuck around and we would not be ruling out the possibility of drafting Ngata. Jauron had Ted Washington and Keith Traylor in Chicago, so it seems like he could get by with two-gap tackles. Perhaps Steve Fairchild will tailor the scheme to our players on offense.

Second off Marv seems to be overpaying for marginal talent. I hear all this talk about young up and comers, but Tripplett, Royal and Davis, I think they have been in the league long enough that they have reached their potential. How many guys get much better after their fourth and fifth seasons? As much as I would have liked to have seen the o-line upgraded and I know it is pointless now, however I do not think most guard are worth the kind of money Marv was offering to Wells. Hopefully teams will not be able to bullrush Fowler like they did Teague.

Had to get that off my chest.

Go Bills! I will root for them even if I do not like what they are doing.

Why can't we get a coach flexible enough to actually tailor the scheme to the personnel?

Like Dick Lebeau?

I sure wish Ralph had offered him the money necessary to keep him in a Bills windbreaker. :unsure:

First off Jauron seems to be making the same mistake Greggo did when he was first hired. Lets play "46" defense regardless of the personnel that is here. Just replace "46" with "cover two" and it is exactly what Jauron is doing. Why can't we get a coach flexible enough to actually tailor the scheme to the personnel? If Jauron was like this maybe Sam Adams would have stuck around and we would not be ruling out the possibility of drafting Ngata. Jauron had Ted Washington and Keith Traylor in Chicago, so it seems like he could get by with two-gap tackles. Perhaps Steve Fairchild will tailor the scheme to our players on offense.

644997[/snapback]

What personell? Honestly the strength of our defense isn't our dline it's our lb's and corners. London Fletcher played in a cover 2 defense in stl. Takeo Spikes when healthy is a great coverage lb. Nate Clements and Terrence Mcgee seem tailor made for the cover 2. Jauron is heading in the right direction. Sam Adams days were done and we hd no dt's on our current roster that said we can't move in a new direction. Guys Like Tim Anderson Lawlyon Brown Lauvale Sape will more then likely never be starters. It was good to move in a new direction. Aaron Schobel is primarly a pass rushing de. Although we could use one on the other side I just dont see a problem with what Jauron is doing here.

Fairchild has made it clear he wants a run based offense with big play potential. We brought in another speed wr in andre davis a good blocking te that will play the role of a Jason Dunn or Brandon Manumaleuna while Everett or someone else plays the role of the pass catching thtreat at te. While according to fairchild lean on the run game to open up the pass game. The Air Coryell system has been very kind to rb's in both STL and KC. I expect when the line is further improved it will do the same here.

There were some free agents I would've rather had but criticizing the coaching staff for changing the systems is not something I'm about to do, when we were in dire need of change. Change is far from a bad thing considering we we're porous on both sides of the ball.

I'm sure Dick Lebeau doesn't feel the same way :unsure:

Like Dick Lebeau?

I sure wish Ralph had offered him the money necessary to keep him in a Bills windbreaker.  :P

645001[/snapback]

Like Dick Lebeau?

I sure wish Ralph had offered him the money necessary to keep him in a Bills windbreaker.  :unsure:

645001[/snapback]

Isn't Lebeau 70?

A 90 year old owner?

A 80 year old GM?

A 70 year old Head Coach?

I can imagine how many 'Golden Girls' posts there would be.

What personell?  Honestly the strength of our defense isn't our dline it's our lb's and corners.  London Fletcher played in a cover 2 defense in stl. Takeo Spikes when healthy is a great coverage lb. Nate Clements and Terrence Mcgee seem tailor made for the cover 2.  Jauron is heading in the right direction. Sam Adams days were done and we hd no dt's on our current roster that said we can't move in a new direction.  Guys Like Tim Anderson Lawlyon Brown Lauvale Sape will more then likely never be starters.  It was good to move in a new direction.  Aaron Schobel is primarly a pass rushing de. Although we could use one on the other side I just dont see a problem with what Jauron is doing here. 

Fairchild has made it clear he wants a run based offense with big play potential. We brought in another speed wr in andre davis a good blocking te that will play the role of a Jason Dunn or Brandon Manumaleuna  while Everett or someone else plays the role of the pass catching thtreat at te.  While according to fairchild lean on the run game to open up the pass game.  The Air Coryell system has been very kind to rb's in both STL and KC.  I expect when the line is further improved it will do the same here.

There were some free agents I would've rather had but criticizing the coaching staff for changing the systems  is not something I'm about to do, when we were in dire need of change. Change is far from a bad thing considering we we're porous on both sides of the ball.

645006[/snapback]

Thanks for your insight. I guess it was a case of wishful thinking on my behalf Ithought if we had kept Milloy and Adams we were only a Grady Jackson away from having a good defense again.

Isn't Lebeau 70?

A 90 year old owner?

A 80 year old GM?

A 70 year old Head Coach?

645012[/snapback]

Lebeau's up there in years but it was obvious after his HOF caliber performance last year that the guys still has it and I wish the Bills had kept him on as a co-ordinator instead of going the cheap-o route with Jerry Gray.

If they had there is a real possibility that we wouldn't ahve an 80 year old GM and our head coach would still be in his 40's.

Cya

When your front office completely ignores the defense for 2 straight years and you sustain injuries to multiple key players, even a super hero like Dick Lebeau can't do much.

Lebeau's up there in years but it was obvious after his HOF caliber performance last year that the guys still has it and I wish the Bills had kept him on as a co-ordinator instead of going the cheap-o route with Jerry Gray.

If they had there is a real possibility that we wouldn't ahve an 80 year old GM and our head coach would still be in his 40's.

Cya

645021[/snapback]

When your front office completely ignores the defense for 2 straight years and you sustain injuries to multiple key players, even a super hero like Dick Lebeau can't do much.

645028[/snapback]

Schobel

Adams

Fletcher

Clements

Milloy

Magee

Vincent

That's comparable to the talent on teh Stillers defense when they rolled through the playoff knocking the snot out of some of the league's top offenses.

There's no doubt in my mind that not only could Lebeau have worked with that, but that he could have even excelled.

Cya

Guys Like Tim Anderson Lawlyon Brown Lauvale Sape will more then likely never be starters.  

645006[/snapback]

I hope you're right, but I've got a feeling the Bills are a lot higher on Tim Anderson than you are. .. I believe he may be starting Week 1. :unsure:

I disagree.

SAFETY:

=====

Vincent and Milloy are comparable to Troy Polomalu and Chris Hope? Not even close.

LINEBACKER:

========

Fletcher, Posey and Crowell are comparable to Joey Porter, James Farrior, and Larry Foote?

Fletch is definitely in that league. The other two can only wish they were.

DEFENSIVE LINE

===========

Schobel is the only one worth mentioning. There's a reason why Sam Adams has not been signed yet. He simply lost it. As a unit, the Steelers are deeper and better.

CORNERBACK

=========

Comparable.

Schobel

Adams

Fletcher

Clements

Milloy

Magee

Vincent

That's comparable to the talent on teh Stillers defense when they rolled through the playoff knocking the snot out of some of the league's top offenses.

There's no doubt in my mind that not only could Lebeau have worked with that, but that he could have even excelled.

Cya

645032[/snapback]

Second off Marv seems to be overpaying for marginal talent. I hear all this talk about young up and comers, but Tripplett, Royal and Davis, I think they have been in the league long enough that they have reached their potential. How many guys get much better after their fourth and fifth seasons?

644997[/snapback]

Rich Gannon was cut multiple times and became a SuperBowl and proBowl QB. OJ did nothing his first two years. Bruce was overwieght and underperformed his first couple. Moulds was getting booed out of town until year four I think. Flutie was cut right out of the NFL for half a dozen years, Jim Kelly publicly humiliated Ballard his first 3-4 years. Speaking of Kelly remember Polians rant about Marv stills the coach Kelly is still the QB, and if you dont like it get out of town.

New England didn't ingore the defense for 2 straight years. They consistently made it a priority in the draft. 2 of their recent first rounders were defensive linemen: Wilfork & Ty Warren.

Meanwhile, the Bills were drafting offensive skill players and undersized receivers in the early rounds. In the last two years, you want to know how many draft picks the Bills spent on defense?

TWO

Eric King and Tim Anderson. Woo hoo.

Meanwhile, our counterparts in New England spent over 50% of their draft picks on defense, despite having dominant units already. Go figure.

new england????

645081[/snapback]

SAFETY:

=====

Vincent and Milloy are comparable to Troy Polomalu and Chris Hope? Not even close.

I'd say it's very close. While Polamalu is probably better than either of the Bills safety already, he also got caught out of position frequently throughout the year and it was primarily LeBeau's stellar work that made him a household name. Hope was not good and had tons of problems in coverage and isn't the equal of eitehr Milloy or Vincent. Lebeau did a good job hiding him most of the year but there were plenty of times that opponents took advantage of him. A trip to the film room will show exactly why the savvy Stillers chose not to re-sign him.

While Pittsburgh has the best player of the 4, I think the Bills have/had an equal if not better tandem.

LINEBACKER:

========

Fletcher, Posey and Crowell are comparable to Joey Porter, James Farrior, and Larry Foote?

Fletch is definitely in that league. The other two can only wish they were.

No arguments here. W/o Spikes the Bills can't compete with teh Steeler LB's. I will say that Lebeau's week to week varied use of them made them better than they are though.

DEFENSIVE LINE

===========

Schobel is the only one worth mentioning. There's a reason why Sam Adams has not been signed yet. He simply lost it. As a unit, the Steelers are deeper and better.

One of the Stilers biggest weakness was the lack of depth on their DLine. Their 4th DLineman is Brett Keisel and when they were forced to rotate him in there was a huge(and I mean huge) drop-off in play. ASmith is long in the tooth but had a great postseason but Schobel is still a better player at this point in their careers. And while Sam Adams is no Casey Hampton, he has certainly not lost it. A smarter defensive staff that would have allowed him to play to his strengths probably would have found themselves with another ProBowl type year for The Keg.

Again, teh Stillers ahve the best player in Hampton, but the Bills have a far deeper unit.

CORNERBACK

=========

Comparable.

Of all the units to compare, this is the one that's not even close. Deshea Townsend is Pittsburgh's best corner and at 30+years old, he'd have done no better than compete for the Bills nickel spot. Buffalo's corners are vastly superior to anything on the Stillers roster.

Sam Adams is no Casey Hampton, he has certainly not lost it. A smarter defensive staff that would have allowed him to play to his strengths probably would have found themselves with another ProBowl type year for The Keg.

645111[/snapback]

Couldn't disagree more, I think he's washed-up & I'm glad he's gone.... we'll see what he does this year.

If Jauron was like this maybe Sam Adams would have stuck around and we would not be ruling out the possibility of drafting Ngata.

644997[/snapback]

In essence you're concerned that Jauron is putting a defense in place that doesn't suit the talent he has, but you're also concerned that he's cutting the talent he has because it won't work in the defense he is putting in place.

No. My head doesn't hurt. Not at all.

have liked to have seen the o-line upgraded and I know it is pointless now, however I do not think most guard are worth the kind of money Marv was offering to Wells. Hopefully teams will not be able to bullrush Fowler like they did Teague.

Had to get that off my chest.

644997[/snapback]

well it looks like the cards figured it was worth it.. they matched didnt they?

Also what marv is doing here is not typical. He is bringing in some character guys since he has a strong belief that such is a must to have a winning team. Talent is suspect without character. Before we deem theese prices for royal and tripplett and bowen( did you mention bowen as well?) too high, we shoud see if there are benefits here that would be hard to measure before they actually get on the field.