8th Overall PROBABLY not a DT or OT

Big suprise. People on here have been saying for weeks that Ngata doesnt fit the cover-2 type of DT thats wanted in buffalo. It wouldnt surprise me at all to see us draft Huff or Bunkley at #8. Bunkley is a cover-2 DT moreso than Ngata.

But, everyone's heard of ngata, and hes a DT, so marv will be strung up if he passes ngata at #8.

Oregon DT Haloti Ngata does not look like a good fit for the new defensive system being adopted by Bills head coach Dick Jauron. Several scouts and personnel directors from around the league say Ngata is not a fit for the "Tampa Cover 2" style, because he is a 345-pound lineman whose strength is occupying two gaps on the line.

644712[/snapback]

you know what that means............ we'll be drafting ngata with the 8th pick

I think we all get too hung up on "draft value" as perceived by various draftniks out there. What is important is drafting a good football player that will fit our scheme -- hopefully someone with very little risk.

That is what the Patriots have been doing for years. Every year I am undwhelmed by the guys that they draft -- but every year they pick up playmakers. Meanwhile, a team like Detroit comes away with a great "draft grade", but winds up with a class full of non-players.

If the Bills really do see a player that they like at #8 that they feel will help the team, even if he doesn't grade out on some draft boards as being worthy of the #8 selection, I'd be inclined to shrug off the "reach" alegations and take that player (provided, of course, that there is no opportunity to trade down).

Levy says: "Schemes don't win football games. Players win football games". Marv is looking for the player who'll help us at #8, or the trade that will help us land him.

We're into the countdown now. Start ceasing to believe all you read.

Including mine.

Levy says: "Schemes don't win football games. Players win football games". Marv is looking for the player who'll help us at #8, or the trade that will help us land him.

We're into the countdown now. Start ceasing to believe all you read.

Including mine.

644845[/snapback]

True, because you need players who can play to the scheme you are running to make it successful. You don't just go out and get a bunch of good players and expect them to gel and play really well if they don't all fit a scheme

I predict the Bills pick Winston Justice at #8.  It is not Mel Kiper's draft board that counts but the Bills draft board and I have heard they like Justice.

644867[/snapback]

I would love Justice, i am sick of a decade of terrible O-line play. I do not know how well are QBs are going to look, it shure would be nice to eliminate the excuses then see if they can cut the mustard. If Losman sucks this year and we have a descent O-line then I will know it is time to go somewhere else. I dont care about what the Gurus are saying either, I think Levi Jones is a perfect example of that. However if Marv is sold on Justice and he can trade down get extra picks and still get Justice that would be amazing, I still think our best trade partner would be Arizona at 10(I believe) we could probably net an extra 3rd and still get Justice. As for the DTs that fit that sceme niether McFarland or Hovan in Tampa are huge DTs (they let Sapp walk a few years ago) and Tampas defense is good, there is more then one way to skin a cat. If having to big space eaters was the only answer then all these teams wouldnt be switching to a 3-4.

I think we all get too hung up on "draft value" as perceived by various draftniks out there. What is important is drafting a good football player that will fit our scheme -- hopefully someone with very little risk.

That is what the Patriots have been doing for years. Every year I am undwhelmed by the guys that they draft -- but every year they pick up playmakers. Meanwhile, a team like Detroit comes away with a great "draft grade", but winds up with a class full of non-players.

If the Bills really do see a player that they like at #8 that they feel will help the team, even if he doesn't grade out on some draft boards as being worthy of the #8 selection, I'd be inclined to shrug off the "reach" alegations and take that player (provided, of course, that there is no opportunity to trade down).

The only problem with that is then we have to pay that player round one money not round two money where we might be able to get them. I could see us making a move on a late round first round if we thought it work for us but I wouldn't do for a round two guy.

I think one of the nice benefits of this D is that you don't have to spend huge $$ on 350 lb nose tackles who can cover two gaps and are near impossible to find. You can get cheaper 285-300 pounders later in the draft or free agency and save your big bucks for D-end, CB, O-tackle, etc.

OH...I think there is only one way to stop the run.  Tackle the friggin runner!  The question is where are you going to do it. The line of scrimmage would be nice. Ten yards down the field by your linebackers and safeties.  I come from the school of thought that defensive tackles might be a nice way to stop the run.

644771[/snapback]

Bravo! :unsure:

I predict the Bills pick Winston Justice at #8.  It is not Mel Kiper's draft board that counts but the Bills draft board and I have heard they like Justice.

644867[/snapback]

just what we need-

another over paid RIGHT Tackle

Big money should go to the LT - anything else is a huge waste of cash and cap space

No. But you're onto something.

Sam Adams = Haloti Ngata. They're the same player. HUGE and quick. If we cut Sam because he doesn't fit into our scheme, why would we draft Ngata?

644934[/snapback]

because Sam was old, fat, slow overpaid and often injured. :unsure:

If the Bills just want a big run stuffing DT, they'd be better off trading down 15 picks or so and selecting Gabe Watson. He's just as talented as Ngata and while he's got a rep for being lazy in college, so did Ted Washington.