Back to Middle Eastern Front

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It also points out how Bush wanted to provoke Sadaam into beginning the war. 

(He also wanted to assassinate him.)

Yeah... Bush is one heckuva "Christian".

Praise the Lord!!!

644082[/snapback]

He wanted to assassinate Saddam? Wow! I'm sure glad this article came out to tell me that. It wasn't obvious enough when two stealth bombers and some 20 cruise missiles were fired at Dora Farms on the eve of the war because they had a tip that Saddam was there. :P

It also points out how Bush wanted to provoke Sadaam into beginning the war. 

(He also wanted to assassinate him.)

Yeah... Bush is one heckuva "Christian".

Praise the Lord!!!

644082[/snapback]

You mean because Christians don't kill people? History doesn't agree with you.

Ecclesiastes 3:8 : A time to love, And a time to hate; A time of war, And a time of peace.

Psalms 144:1 : Blessed be the LORD my Rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle;

Romans 13:1-4 : Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. 2 Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to evil. Do you want to be unafraid of the authority? Do what is good, and you will have praise from the same. 4 For he is God's minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Psalms 82:3-4 : Defend the poor and fatherless; Do justice to the afflicted and needy. 4 Deliver the poor and needy; Free them from the hand of the wicked.

Ecclesiastes 3:8 : A time to love, And a time to hate; A time of war, And a time of peace.

Psalms 144:1 : Blessed be the LORD my Rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle;

Romans 13:1-4  : Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. 2 Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to evil. Do you want to be unafraid of the authority? Do what is good, and you will have praise from the same. 4 For he is God's minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Psalms 82:3-4 : Defend the poor and fatherless; Do justice to the afflicted and needy. 4 Deliver the poor and needy; Free them from the hand of the wicked.

644167[/snapback]

I could just see Samuel L. Jackson reading that :P

Romans 13:1-4  : Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. 2 Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to evil. Do you want to be unafraid of the authority? Do what is good, and you will have praise from the same. 4 For he is God's minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

644167[/snapback]

Religion of Peace?

Religion of Peace?

644188[/snapback]

I don't believe that Christianity or Catholicism are religions of peace, nor do they pretend to be. I believe they are religions of helping the poor (whether it be spirit, monitary, or lack of freedoms). That is what my religion stand for and what IMHO we believe. It also means being one with God and living our lives as he would want us to.

I believe Muslims are the one who say they have a religion of peace. Again, might want to check some facts before you throw crap out.

I don't believe that Christianity or Catholicism are religions of peace, nor do they pretend to be.  I believe they are religions of helping the poor (whether it be spirit, monitary, or lack of freedoms).  That is what my religion stand for and what IMHO we believe.  It also means being one with God and living our lives as he would want us to. 

I believe Muslims are the one who say they have a religion of peace.  Again, might want to check some facts before you throw crap out.

644209[/snapback]

So what is the turn the other cheek and love thy neighbor rhetoric all about? Wasn't that Christ's message?

I don't believe that Christianity or Catholicism are religions of peace, nor do they pretend to be.

644209[/snapback]

Pacifism is always a legitimate Catholic and Christian option. For violence there is the just war option, but the threshold is very high and usually ignored.

Two interesting points, Bush knew there would not be any weapons of mass destruction found before the war and both he and Blair thought this thing would be over quick and a new government installed fast.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/27/internat....html?th&emc=th

644068[/snapback]

Even the NY Times admits there isn't much new information here:

Stamped "extremely sensitive," the five-page memorandum, which was circulated among a handful of Mr. Blair's most senior aides, had not been made public. Several highlights were first published in January in the book "Lawless World," which was written by a British lawyer and international law professor, Philippe Sands. In early February, Channel 4 in London first broadcast several excerpts from the memo.

Since then, The New York Times has reviewed the five-page memo in its entirety. While the president's sentiments about invading Iraq were known at the time, the previously unreported material offers an unfiltered view of two leaders on the brink of war, yet supremely confident.

Basically the memo says that less than two months before the war began, Bush and Blair were focusing their planning on the war because they didn't think there was much chance of Saddam complying with the UN resolutions or the international inspectors finding anything on their own.

Here's a link where you don't need a password if anyone wants to read the actual article: LINK

Even the NY Times admits there isn't much new information here:

Basically the memo says that less than two months before the war began, Bush and Blair were focusing their planning on the war because they didn't think there was much chance of Saddam complying with the UN resolutions or the international inspectors finding anything on their own.

Here's a link where you don't need a password if anyone wants to read the actual article:  LINK

644302[/snapback]

If anything, the thing that I find most interesting is the certainty in which they were moving forward admidst the public posturing that by no means was the war inevitable. My question would be (and one framed with terrific hindsight), what conditions would have realistically avioded it?

Then you aren't much of a Christian, are you?  In fact you would be distorting the religion to suite your own purposes.

644351[/snapback]

Is there anything you don't find fault with?

Whether I'm Catholic or not doesn't change the fact that someone has to take out the trash now and then, because the know it all idealists just complain when it's full, but would never dirty their hands. Has nothing to do with distorting anything.

Whether I'm Catholic or not doesn't change the fact that someone has to take out the trash now and then, because the know it all idealists just complain when it's full, but would never dirty their hands. Has nothing to do with distorting anything.

644357[/snapback]

touche'...it applies to all sides of the aisle!

644357[/snapback]

Jesus was a pacifist who preached love and forgiveness. He was probably the ultimate idealist that you begrudge. How anyone could portray him in another light is difficult for me to fathom.

Jesus was a pacifist who preached love and forgiveness.  He was probably the ultimate idealist that you begrudge.  How anyone could portray him in another light is difficult for me to fathom.

644604[/snapback]

I guess you didn't understand the story about the tipping of the money changers tables and chasing the robbers out of the temple? The wording there was very specific for the day, but robbers as referred to in those days was a general term for people who commited violent crimes including rape, thievery, murder, etc...

he openly attacked them, and chased them. Peaceful, and forgiving yes. But also acting when the time called for it.

Jesus was a pacifist who preached love and forgiveness.  He was probably the ultimate idealist that you begrudge.  How anyone could portray him in another light is difficult for me to fathom.

644604[/snapback]

Hippy Jesus: "If it feels good do it!"

:doh:

How does Jesus preaching love and forgiveness square with the idea that if you don't accept him as your lord and savior then you're going to hell? That doesn't sound very lovey or forgiving to me.

And if you believe the Book of Revelations, Jesus has a hand in the smiting down of a very large number of sinners/those that accepted the false prophet. Why can't he turn his cheek and let bygones be bygones?