A MNF doubleheader?

You can't "oversaturate" the NFL -- every game is available to watch already.  Have you seen the crap on primetime TV lately?  The more options there are to watch the NFL in primetime, the better.

643668[/snapback]

Every game is available to be watched only if you have directv and 300 bucks you don't need. The point is that even with that the event is based around Sunday. people gear their whole week up to Sunday. The more games you play on other days the less of an event Sunday becomes. Which night is hockey night? For anyone who DOESN'T live in Canada there is no hockey night because hockey is on every night, same with basketball and baseball. I love the NHL dearly but I don't schedule my life around it because if I miss a game there will be 4 more the next night. With the NFL I will schedule myself to be free to watch football all day every Sunday.

What I said re: cheapening Sunday Ticket is true too. For every game they move off Sunday and put on Primetime you are getting less football for your money. DirecTV (and other bidders) won't be happy about that if it continues becuase it makes the product less desireable. There's a big difference between paying to see an additional 11 games (given 3 national Sundays and 2 PTs) as opposed to seeing an additional 9 games per week. And those are weeks where noone has a bye. Sunday Ticket would only give you 7 more games on a week where 4 teams were off.

I realize that a lot of this is experimentation. The reason the NFL network is carrying those Thursdays is because the league couldn't sell them to anyone and the MNF doubleheader idea is an obvious attempt to jumpstart MNF which is dying on the vine. I'm concerned becuase ANYTHING can become oversaturated in the market and the league thus far has done an excellent job of avoiding that. Exposure w/o overkill.

Is the doubleheader thing for the whole season, or just for the opening weekend?

Man those guys are going to be realy tired after playing two games in a row.

What?

Move to the west coast or take a nap.

644474[/snapback]

Yeah, I'll get right on that...maybe work would be good enough to push back the day so I don't have to be up at 5am too.

West Coast teams are irrelevant to world because of things like this. They play sports on the west coast? coulda fooled me.

Every game is available to be watched only if you have directv and 300 bucks you don't need.  The point is that even with that the event is based around Sunday.  people gear their whole week up to Sunday.  The more games you play on other days the less of an event Sunday becomes.  Which night is hockey night?  For anyone who DOESN'T live in Canada there is no hockey night because hockey is on every night, same with basketball and baseball.  I love the NHL dearly but I don't schedule my life around it because if I miss a game there will be 4 more the next night.  With the NFL I will schedule myself to be free to watch football all day every Sunday.

What I said re: cheapening Sunday Ticket is true too.  For every game they move off Sunday and put on Primetime you are getting less football for your money.  DirecTV (and other bidders) won't be happy about that if it continues becuase it makes the product less desireable.  There's a big difference between paying to see an additional 11 games (given 3 national Sundays and 2 PTs) as opposed to seeing an additional 9 games per week.  And those are weeks where noone has a bye.  Sunday Ticket would only give you 7 more games on a week where 4 teams were off.

I realize that a lot of this is experimentation.  The reason the NFL network is carrying those Thursdays is because the league couldn't sell them to anyone and the MNF doubleheader idea is an obvious attempt to jumpstart MNF which is dying on the vine.  I'm concerned becuase ANYTHING can become oversaturated in the market and the league thus far has done an excellent job of avoiding that.  Exposure w/o overkill.

644380[/snapback]

I think you're overreacting. They're really only adding one additional day -- Thursday -- into the mix, and the NFL has historically played some games on Thursday nights. Sunday has been and always will be "NFL Day." I don't envision the Monday night doubleheader becoming a regular occurrence, since the late game only makes sense if two WC teams are playing.