Compensitory picks decided this week

Lurker

Last year Denver got two extra third round compensitory picks, and this article indicates they're hoping for two more in '06 for losing Reggie Hayward (Jacksonville) and safety Kenoy Kennedy (Detroit). The Bills FA losses have to be worth more than those two guys and I wonder if we might get some compensitory third rounders in 2006.

With the Titans third for TH and a possible third for EM, that would give Marv a ton of ammo to work with in trading up for low first round or high second round picks.

What's going to hurt us is Mike Gandy started 16 games at left tackle and Bennie Anderson starter ( I believe 15 ) at LG. Jonas Jennings and Pat Williams signed huge contracts, but Jonas didn't play 1 snap for the 49ers. That's going to hurt the Bills chances of getting anything higher than a 6 or a 7.

That is correct..they cannot be traded...

So we lost

Jennings and Williams to free agency (Drew and other cuts do not count)

Gained

Holcomb, Bennie Anderson (Gandy was a Street FA so he does not count in the equation)

They have some weird formula to net things out...but we lost two quality starters and picked up two part-time starters..

We should be getting something...of course we have been hosed the last few years...I would be disappointed if we don't net two picks--maybe a fourth and a sixth...

What's going to hurt us is Mike Gandy started 16 games at left tackle and Bennie Anderson starter ( I believe 15 ) at LG. Jonas Jennings and Pat Williams signed huge contracts, but Jonas didn't play 1 snap for the 49ers. That's going to hurt the Bills chances of getting anything higher than a 6 or a 7.

642686[/snapback]

Gandy was a street FA--he was cut by the Bears in 04--he does not count in the equation.

I'm thinking a 6th rounder at best. Probably a 7th.

642685[/snapback]

So what's Denver smoking, and how'd they get two extra 3rd's last year? Is the formula based on net number of snaps taken/lost or player contract differential?

I doubt we get multiple picks since we signed 2 and lost 2, but Jennings and Williams were clearly better than what we signed and their total contract value was around $50M.

We'll only get one pick, but it will be a good one, a 3rd.

So what's Denver smoking, and how'd they get two extra 3rd's last year?  Is the formula based on net number of snaps taken/lost or player contract differential?

Good question. While they signed on UFA that stuck on their roster (Marco Coleman), they lost 3 UFA's (Bert Berry, Keith Burns, and Ian Gold). Since that was a net loss of 2 UFA's and Berry had 14.5 sacks, I can see the 3rd rounder for him. But Burns did nothing for Tampa Bay and Gold was a marginal starter for them.

Son of a B word! I did a little more digging and found this.

One more reason to hate TD: It looks like signing Bennie Anderson late in the 2005 FA season might have cost us a good shot at getting a 3rd or 4th round compensitory pick this year. Now it seems all the better we can do is an extra 7th round pick, as the astute posters above have noted.

Biggest irony? According to this guy's analysis, the Ravens might get an extra 7th this year for the Bills signing Bennie. Talk about a fug'd up system. 0:)

i understand everything with jonas, but i dont understand why pat williams who started all those games and just missed out on the pro bowl would only warrant a 6th or 7th. i dont think a 3rd at all, because he didnt make the pro bowl and i dont think his stats were all that great (didnt have 10 sacks), but i guess i could see a 5th very easily.

BGIM, you've already updated your draft based on the 7th??~!!?!?

You're fast! And except for the DT, I like your picks!

Hey though...a 7th round pick is still SOMETHING. Better than getting no picks at all like we've had the last two years.

--------------------

2006 Bills Draft (Assuming an extra 7th round comp pick) **Version 3.0: Updated on 3/25**

------------------------------------

1. Michael Huff, Safety from Texas

2. Davin Joseph, Guard from Oklahoma

3. Andrew Whitworth, OT from LSU

3. Dusty Dvoracek, DT from Oklahoma

4. Hank Baskett, WR from New Mexico

5. Derek Morris, OT from North Carolina State

6. Matt Bernstein, FB from Wisconsin

7. David Pittman, CB from Northwestern State

7. Anthony Schlegel, ILB from Ohio State

BGIM, you've already updated your draft based on the 7th??~!!?!?

You're fast! And except for the DT, I like your picks!

642860[/snapback]

I actually heard a few weeks back when someone posted that KFFL comp picks thread that the Bills would probably only get a 7th round pick...I was bored at work so I figured, what the hell.

642686[/snapback]

Add in Holcomb who started 8 games