Draft smoke and mirrors

Seen this to many times... GMs put out rumors about players in the hope that they fall in the draft.  never works.

642089[/snapback]

If you're right good news for Bills fans. We want to see Reggie Bush, Leinart, Young, and Cutler go in the top 7- think it will happen?

I don't think they are smoke screens at all. I seriously think that there really is a lot of debate amongst scouts about Young. Some really do feel that he is a rare, even once in a generation, talent coming out of college -- and, therefore, think that he is worthy of a a top 2-3 draft pick. Others worry that his style of play is not condusive to being a successful QB in the NFL. I wouldn't be surprised to find some teams unwilling to draft him at ANY point in the first round.

What I imagine will happen is that we may see something similar to the Tim Couch-Akili Smith charade that took place in 1999. Leinert's agent has already stated that he wants a $30 M signing bonus for his client. Teams interested at the top of the draft may threaten to draft Young as leverage in negotitations with Leinert and his people. As it turned out both Couch and Smith were busts. We'll just have to wait and see about Leinert and Young.

I don't think they are smoke screens at all. I seriously think that there really is a lot of debate amongst scouts about Young. Some really do feel that he is a rare, even once in a generation, talent coming out of college -- and, therefore, think that he is worthy of a a top 2-3 draft pick. Others worry that his style of play is not condusive to being a successful QB in the NFL. I wouldn't be surprised to find some teams unwilling to draft him at ANY point in the first round.

What I imagine will happen is that we may see something similar to the Tim Couch-Akili Smith charade that took place in 1999. Leinert's agent has already stated that he wants a $30 M signing bonus for his client. Teams interested at the top of the draft may threaten to draft Young as leverage in negotitations with Leinert and his people. As it turned out both Couch and Smith were busts. We'll just have to wait and see about Leinert and Young.

642116[/snapback]

Remember last year where the "Hype" was that you would see a lot of trades... teams moving up and other teams wanting more draft choices? What happened? No one moved, it was a boring draft.

That said, sometimes GMs and owners feel they have no other options then to draft the best availible QB. Fans demand a good QB and if your team sucks... Well Draft us a better "save the season player" - I don't know where i'm going with this...