Mother of all Hockey Fights

slothrop

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B-)

I was talking about myself - I am a hockey retard compared to others on this board. I feel that this fact makes me qualified to comment on the "new-NHL" since I am the exact type of person Hockey is trying to court.

I was not attacking you as a person. I did not kick your dog (that I know of). I did not attack the virtue of your mother. So calm down, I just disageed with you.

645326[/snapback]

He just needs a nice hot bowl of Gazpacho !

I didn't stop attacking what you're saying.  You simply don't have the comprehension skills to understand what anyone else is saying

:doh: proving my point again

So no hockey scientists have proven it to you?  Good rationale.

um....... no not really, like i said previous, it is a fact that there is no empirical evidence to support it

Sorry, but Wayne benefitted as much or more from fighting and having an enforcer on the ice than anyone.  He's a hypocrite.  I'd love to see him playing right now.

So now the greatest player to ever play the game doesnt know what he's talking about either, man you just know it all dont you :lol:

The fan base also didn't diminish, but didn't grow as much as the suits wanted

Oh really? so fan attendance wasnt at an all time low and tv ratings were doing great right...... i think that is a diminishing fan base

Americans obviously hate fighting.  That's why UFC is circling the drain, right?

:lol: That is a completely separate sport..... which CONSISTS OF COMPETITIVE FIGHTING, which is where it belongs. Can you contradict yourself a little more please, you're making me look good B-)

Yeah, remember all those star players dropping the mitts to defend their honor?  You just blew your own argument out of the water.

Never, I was implying that once that happens, instead of the star player defending himself, the team enforcer would do so. Looks like you're the one that is comprehensively challenged

The new rules have certainly opened up the game - BECAUSE OFFICIALS ACTUALLY ENFORCE THEM.

I guess the refs have been forgetting not to call the two line pass for the past decades, and they ignored the big goalie equipment too :lol:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure there was a hockey fight in the last decade that started for that reason.

Do you watch hockey at all? You're telling me a fight doesnt break out when a big burely defenseman messes with the opposing team's star player? Once again.... comprehensively challenged i guess B-)

This argument is going nowhere on both sides, we can argue forever, it is clear that we just have different opinions. I dont know why you feel the need to attack a person instead of what they are arguing, I did so to defend myself, maybe the big bully posters will slowly be removed just like in hockey, it would be better that way :lol: .........JUST kidding :doh:

um....... no not really, like i said previous, it is a fact that there is no empirical evidence to support it

But there is evidence that fighting brings more people to games.

So now the greatest player to ever play the game doesnt know what he's talking about either, man you just know it all dont you  :lol:

He has his opinion and many others don't agree. He also said Gary Bettman was the best commissioner in all of sports before the NHL had it's lockout (hahahaha). Sorry, I'm not Canadian so I don't think Wayne Gretzky walks on water. The very same Wayne Gretzky who had Marty McSorley/Dave Semenko protecting his ass his entire career (Wayne did fight once, getting his ass kicked by Neal Broten).

Oh really? so fan attendance wasnt at an all time low and tv ratings were doing great right...... i think that is a diminishing fan base

Attendance was at an all time low? Care to add some facts to that? How about if I do it for you.

From Sports Business News article, dated 21 December 2004:

Sustained attendance growth continues to be critical, as it comprises a larger percentage of total revenues than any other professional sport. Overall, NHL attendance has increased an average of 4 percent per year in the modern era. Its 214 percent growth since 1970 is second only to the NBA, and its annual average of 20 million fans plays to over 90 percent of league-wide arena capacity.

Or:

Admittedly, the NHL hasn't seen a drop in attendance figures

Or:

Overall NHL Attendance since 1960

I guess the since 2004 was the 4th highest attended NHL season of all time that's pretty much the same as "fan attendance was at an all time low."

TV ratings for the NHL in the US have always sucked. The game translates horribly to the medium.

;)  That is a completely separate sport..... which CONSISTS OF COMPETITIVE FIGHTING, which is where it belongs. Can you contradict yourself a little more please, you're making me look good  ;)

645650[/snapback]

You brought up that Americans won't watch hockey because of fighting. I contradict that using your "lahjik" that if Americans were adverse to watching two people fight then the UFC wouldn't be growing. Yet that's a contridiction? Sure it is.

Never, I was implying that once that happens, instead of the star player defending himself, the team enforcer would do so. Looks like you're the one that is

comprehensively challenged.

I'm sorry for not being able to translate 'tard (just like your "McSorley's incident didn't involve a stick"). I'll get a team right on that.

Just so you can understand how lame your argument is:

NHL Fighting Majors by Season

1990-91 1,519 1.81

1991-92 1,544 1.75

1992-93 1,257 1.25

1993-94 1,643 1.50

1994-95 997 1.60

1995-96 1,539 1.44

1996-97 1,793 1.68

1997-98 1,652 1.55

1998-99 1,309 1.18

1999-00 1,130 0.98

2000-01: 1,355 1.1

2001-02: 1,588 1.3

2002-03: 1,321 1.1

2003-04: 1,561 1.3

Imagine that. Fewer fights per game. More clutching, grabbing, stickwork. Game in trouble. Yep, Wayne's dead nuts.

I guess the refs have been forgetting not to call the two line pass for the past decades, and they ignored the big goalie equipment too  :lol:

As I said, the rules have had an effect but the enforcement of existing rules has been more important (in my not at all humble opinion). The two line pass was very significant and a rule I've lobbied the NHL for for a decade. The "touch up offsides" rule definitely makes the game move faster.We talked about it in this thread.

You're telling me a fight doesnt break out when a big burely defenseman messes with the opposing team's star player?

Not often enough for it to have made any appreciable difference, as it did back in hypocrite Gretzky's day. Witness the Vincent Lecavalier "fight"at the end of the Flyers game last week. As usual, the official blew the call, hitting VL with 17 minutes and the Flyers defenseman got nothing (even though he through the first gloveless punch). It's sad that VL had to take up for himself.

This argument is going nowhere on both sides, we can argue forever, it is clear that we just have different opinions. I dont know why you feel the need to attack a person instead of what they are arguing.  I did so to defend myself, maybe the big bully posters will slowly be removed just like in hockey, it would be better that way  ;) .........JUST kidding  ;)

645661[/snapback]

Ah, so your solution to it wasn't to stay above it as Mr. Gretzky hypocritically advocates, but to drop the psuedo intellectual mitts and get right in there. Welcome to why I did it. Thanks for making it so easy.