Going To Chicago the end of April

Im pretty sure still open. Was in December at least.

One other place that has some historical significance, at least from a sporting and pop culture view, is the Billy Goat taven. Supposedly where the Cubs curse came from, and often referenced in SNL skits. Little hard to find, but heres my best description.

On Michigan avenue, directly across from the Hotel Intercontinental and Trib Building, which is one block north of the Chicago River, you will see a CVS. Take the staris  next to the CVS down one flight, and get on Lower Michigan. One block north, the Billy Goat sits on the corner of Lower Michigan and ?.

Anyway, decent place for a quick lunch of a burger and a draft. Little hell hole  but you can at least say you've been!!!!

643420[/snapback]

Berghoff just closed some weeks ago... I think they sold the decor off to collectors?

There was a huge line to get in right before they closed for good. I think the place lasted just over a 100 years.

That is 2 centuries for all the VA's out there... :P:P Sorry, couldn't resist VA! :P

TOMCAT---

Greek Town is a great.

You can come visit me at the lock (Just follow the polluted (getting better) river) on the southside (Calumet River). I'd make you lock all tow boats and pleasure craft while I watch TV or surf the internet... :lol::D

The SeaDogs (speed boat rides) just made the way back to Navy Pier from where they wintered... That is always fun???

Grab an architectual cruise... I think the Wendella boats are the better of the one's offered... You can pick them up at the base of the Wrigley building where it meets the river... Off of Michigan Ave.

I think there is also Mercury cruise lines and others... One is closer to Navy Pier, the name escapes me... But, one of their boats is the Marquette...

What ever lines you use... You should have fun... The 90 minute will take you through the controlling works (Chicago Harbor Lock... Makes the river flow "backwards") and out into the lake for a nice tour.

I work at the controlling works on the Calumet (same principle down here... Make the river flow "backwards") which is the other entry point to the Illinois Waterway... That is where the industrial corridor is and the international port at Lake Calumet. Both the Chicago and the Cal-Sag link up together in the SW corner... Just above Lockport, Illinois.

... I know the Skyline Queen will offer extensive tours of the whole Chicagoland waterways on Saturdays throughout the spring and fall... These are lengthy tours of probably 6 hours or more... You do the whole shoreline and 40 miles of waterway from Chicago Harbor south down the lake to Calumet harbor and back around to downtown on the inland... Interesting viewpoints of the ChicagoLand area... Historic "Chicago Portage" and everything else that made Chicago what a player it is today...

What the Erie Canal did for Buffalo is what the Illinois-Michigan Canal (I&M) did for Chicago... The only difference is that the I&M (now the Illinois Waterway) is still making it happen.

Grab an architectual cruise... I think the Wendella boats are the better of the one's offered... You can pick them up at the base of the Wrigley building where it meets the river... Off of Michigan Ave.

644076[/snapback]

Sounds good. I'd guess Chicago has some good museums and galleries, too.

I saw a show on History or Discovery or some such, about the development of the Chi sewage system - fascinating.

I saw a show on History or Discovery or some such, about the development of the Chi sewage system - fascinating.

644455[/snapback]

You are such a prick sometimes. :doh:

644455[/snapback]

It is hard to shake history. It really isn't that bad anymore... Unless you are under a DMB bus discharging its payload.

You can still see the slick along the shore from the Sears Tower.

Not sure if Bubbly Creek is still bubbling?... In the meat packing days, that is where many a used carcass would end up.

:unsure:

For authentic 1940-1950's drive-in... Try Superdawg on the northwest side of the city on N. Milwaukee at Devon (near where Chicago meets Niles, IL).

Eat in your car and have "car hop" attach the tray to your window. They even have the original call/order boxes to call your order in.

And Cincy... All you would have to do is pull up in your 1948 DeSoto and you'd feel right at home with the good 'ole days! :unsure::P