Barbara Bush's Katrina giving

So that you can donate and earmark it.  Some people give because it's the right thing, not for the deduction. 

I am not a CPA either but I have given to specific charities in the last few years with instructions on how to use it specifically.  I was not permitted a deduction because I did that, however, these were things I felt strong about and worth more to me then the deduction.

640742[/snapback]

I'd look into this a bit more. As long as the charity is a qualified charity (501c3), and as long as you personally don't materially benefit, you should get a deduction. Why should it matter what aspect you specify if it's a charitable organization?

While it's admirable of you to donate and not expect the deduction, I think you are being given incorrect info.

With respect to Babs, she doesn't materially benefit, so she should still get the deduction. Why would this surprise anyone? This is standard Bush (substitute any other politicians name if you like) operating policy.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because, if you read the article, Neil Bush has been trying like hell to get widespread distribution of his program in schools. 

Of course schools in Houston will use the Bush/Ignite software.  The article states that he's been a key solicitor of funds for HISD.

So, in essence, he's been busting his ass to get the school district charitable donations, that they can "decide" to turn around and buy his software with.  In turn, he gets to say his program is in so many numbers of schools, which ultimately gives the appearence of credibility.  He is, in essence, using the Houston school system under the guise of charitability to get numbers on paper that will influence his ability to get his software into Russia, most likely at a neat bit of profit.

There's nothing illegal with that, of course.  It smells bad, and we can pretend him and his Mom are doing it out of the kindness of their hearts for all those displaced Katrina victims, but it's not illegal.

641072[/snapback]

And Apple has been doing the same for years.

Sorry, I don't see this as a left/right issue.

If someone wants to give money to a charity, who the f#@k cares?

There are a lot bigger things going on in the world to get work up about.

641042[/snapback]

Would you trust Neil Bush with your money? I don't know if he has done anything wrong, but he has in the past, and seems to be exploiting his relationships with his family a'la Billy Carter. If you buy a curriculum in a school district, often there are some intractable commitments in terms of keeping everything updated and training your educators. That usually means additional contracts.

I don't know if it is a right/left issue. It is just peculiar, and sounds icky.

Would you trust Neil Bush with your money? I don't know if he has done anything wrong, but he has in the past, and seems to be exploiting his relationships with his family a'la Billy Carter. If you buy a curriculum in a school district, often there are some intractable commitments in terms of keeping everything updated and training your educators. That usually means additional contracts.

I don't know if it is a right/left issue. It is just peculiar, and sounds icky.

641087[/snapback]

I only trust myself with my money.

I don't trust anyone in government to spend it wisely, dem or rep.

Never happen.  The Clintons and Gore never give to charities.

641014[/snapback]

Hillary did donate their used underwear though. Remember she tried to write it off. :blush:

Hillary did donate their used underwear though. Remember she tried to write it off.  :blush:

641156[/snapback]

I don't remember that. But they would alway answer the why don't you donate question with, "It is the governments job to help out the needy, and they pay taxes". :lol:

I am not going to impune any negative crap on you as a person, but your response stinks of Bush lemming itis, think about it and if you still feel that strongly have some of that White House wine our President is so fond of and sleep on it.

640862[/snapback]

A year ago, Bush could do no wrong to most of the folks on the PPP board...now, they are all revisionists, acting like they knew he was a turd all along, but hey, he wasn't John Kerry!

By the way...thanks for letting me borrow your dress.  :lol:

641213[/snapback]

Now see that would be a lie. Everyone who has met either of us, would realize there is no friggen way that you would ever fit in anything I would wear. First off your oversized cranium would not fit through the neck hole. :blush:

Never happen.  The Clintons and Gore never give to charities.

641014[/snapback]

Yep, I know you GOP oppologists had fun beating on Gore for his 1998 tax return, whatever, Johnni Coli said it best, and you got hutzpah proclaiming it is some great act....please.

Just hurts a little when the shoe is on the other foot. Especially when it involved that real black sheep of that family...Neil. You know the son with another crazy scheme that he can't sell, so Mom, feeling sorry for him, tries to bail him out while still trying to look above the fray in the process. It is called enabling.

There is help for that, but in the guise of charity, Barbara shouldn't have exposed herself to such a low level of gullibility.

I guess she felt Neil has lost enough money on hair brained schemes and non-producing oil wells that she felt at least it was going somewhere good to schools. I would love to see the software and see if it is actually worth anything. Sounds like one of those late night commercials for cds to show you how to work windows or word.

Yep, I know you GOP oppologists had fun beating on Gore for his 1998 tax return, whatever, Johnni Coli said it best, and you got hutzpah proclaiming it is some great act....please. 

Just hurts a little when the shoe is on the other foot. Especially when it involved that real black sheep of that family...Neil.  You know the son with another crazy scheme that he can't sell, so Mom, feeling sorry for him, tries to bail him out while still trying to look above the fray in the process.  It is called enabling. 

There is help for that, but in the guise of charity, Barbara shouldn't have exposed herself to such a low level of gullibility.

I guess she felt Neil has lost enough money on hair brained schemes and non-producing oil wells that she felt at least it was going somewhere good to schools.  I would love to see the software and see if it is actually worth anything.  Sounds like one of those late night commercials for cds to show you how to work windows or word.

641237[/snapback]

And again, just like with libs, I am one who does not like people when they rake politicians family members over the coals. Pick on the candidates, the pols, but leave family members out of it.

Losers take stabs at family members.

Aren't you the guy who was whining about a "stolen election" one post ago?

641077[/snapback]

Yep, gonna keep on doing it because I am right. Granted Bush guys stole it fair and square, he outmaneuvered Gore folks and underestimated how low in the gutter you would go until it was too late. That is politics, but at least I don't deny it. You guys whine and than act like Sanford going through the big one when anyone calls you on it.

And the king of whining is on your side...Orin Hatch. Great actor, he should be Hollywood. I have even seen him break up Senator Kennedy with his tactics.

And again, just like with libs, I am one who does not like people when they rake politicians family members over the coals.  Pick on the candidates, the pols, but leave family members out of it. 

Losers take stabs at family members.

641240[/snapback]

Generally, I would agree with you, but this family has used family Members in all of its politics...including Neil and Barbara, mostly behind the scenes for fundraising, but occasionally for more public event. Their very actions make them as individuals part of politics, so they are not exempt if they are part of. Your family exemption logic breaks down as a result.

Even the twins have gotten into the act occasionally, although they seem to have toned it down a bit lately.

Another hypocritical statement from the right given how you guys went after Theresa Heinz and Cynthia Edwards, not that I don't believe they were fair game.

Yep, gonna keep on doing it because I am right.  Granted Bush guys stole it fair and square, you outmaneuvered Gore folks and the underestimated how low in the gutter you would go until it was too late.  That is politics, but at least I don't deny it. You guys whine and than act like Sanford going through the big one when anyone calls you on it.

And the king of whining is on your side...Orin Hatch.  Great actor, he should be Hollywood.  I have even seen in break up Senator Kennedy with his tactics.

641246[/snapback]

Care to point me to the recount that shows Mr. Gore winning Florida?

Lemming.

Generally, I would agree with you, but this family has used family Members in all of its politics...including Neil and Barbara, mostly behind the scenes for fundraising, but occasionally for more public event.  Their very actions make them as individuals part of politics, so they are not exempt if they are part of.  Your family exemption logic breaks down as a result. 

Even the twins have gotten into the act occasionally, although they seem to have toned it down a bit lately.

Another hypocritical statement from the right given how you guys went after Theresa Heinz and Cynthia Edwards, not that I don't believe they were fair game.

641253[/snapback]

You will never see anything about me going after Cindy Edwards, EVER. Heinz only on specific issues when she brought them up in her speeches. I never attacked her personally. Trust me, I have more ethics then most when it comes to that.

Family members are off limits.

Care to point me to the recount that shows Mr. Gore winning Florida?

Lemming.

641256[/snapback]

On that issue I am, the recount was a mess. Missing votes showing up months afterwards make Phili politics look above board. Katherine Harris should be in jail, if nothing else for the makeup and facelift job she had should be a crime.