Any insurance agents on board?

Simon

This spring I was planning on buying an old beater pick-em-up truck to keep out at camp for hauling wood, riverrock, etc. The problem is that I've got a daughter turning 16 in May and my agent tells me that if I buy one I'm going to have to list her as the primary driver of one of our 3 vehicles even though she certainly will not be the primary driver of any vehicle and this truck will rarely leave camp. This will send my insurance through the roof and I'm not keen on that idea.

My question is can I buy an old truck and then insure it through a different company so that I only have 2 vehicles on one policy and 1 vehicle on another policy, thereby negating the need to list her as a primary operator on either policy?

Is this possible, legal, moral etc. And if it isn't how likely am I to get caught?

Thanx a bunch!

This spring I was planning on buying an old beater pick-em-up truck to keep out at camp for hauling wood, riverrock, etc. The problem is that I've got a daughter turning 16 in May and my agent tells me that if I buy one I'm going to have to list her as the primary driver of one of our 3 vehicles even though she certainly will not be the primary driver of any vehicle and this truck will rarely leave camp. This will send my insurance through the roof and I'm not keen on that idea.

My question is can I buy an old truck and then insure it through a different company so that I only have 2 vehicles on one policy and 1 vehicle on another policy, thereby negating the need to list her as a primary operator on either policy?

Is this possible, legal, moral etc. And if it isn't how likely am I to get caught?

Thanx a bunch!

640543[/snapback]

What a cheapskate. First you don't want to get advice from a realtor, now an insurance agent. You'd take free advice from some of these idiots as opposed to paying from a qualified person? :lol:

What a cheapskate.  First you don't want to get advice from a realtor, now an insurance agent.  You'd take free advice from some of these idiots as opposed to paying from a qualified person?  :P

640553[/snapback]

I already got advice from them, I just want more data points (especially from folks who've got nothing to gain nor are bound by laws;-).

And I've yet to see an actual realtor or insurance agent come to my aid.

Reticent bastards are thicker than thieves. :lol:

I already got advice from them, I just want more data points (especially from folks who've got nothing to gain nor are bound by laws;-).

And I've yet to see an actual realtor or insurance agent come to my aid.

Reticent bastards are thicker than thieves.  :lol:

640566[/snapback]

Ok first you've said that you've gotten advice from a realtor/insurance agent and then you say you've yet to see them come to your aid. Which is it? Are they not helping you or they not giving you the answer you want?

Thanx a bunch!

640543[/snapback]

When Mom went to insure the truck we used to plow the driveway, our agent told her it had to have the same level of coverage as her main vehicle (i.e., one couldn't be full tort, the other limited tort). She went elsewhere instead, and didn't have a problem.

Sounds like a rule set by the insurer, not anything required by the state...

I suppose kicking your daughter out of the house is not an option....

Think about it

1) Cheaper Car insurance

2) Establishes herself as an "independant" thus lessening your need to pay college costs

3) More free time

Tempting? Still not an option? Dang...sorry!

Seriously though...I have no idea if this is legal or not, but I'd try calling some other companies and get quotes and tell them the complete situation. See if the tune changes with other companies.

Thanx a bunch!

640543[/snapback]

sent you a PM