What recourse may the Bills take

scribo

Can the Bills stop paying him as if he just retired, which would rid them of the entire salary cap hit? Or do they have to pay him the first few weeks? I have a contract, and I know if I refuses to work I wouldn't receive another dime. In fact, I'd be sued for breach of contract.

I know Ricky Williams ended being told he had to give some of his bonus back if he didn't start playing again, but what was the salary cap implications for the stinkin' fish at that time?

My main concern is the Bills lose the salary cap space and a WR. That would be some real crap, and I have to believe the NFL has a way to protect the team from players who just refuse to play.

Can the Bills stop paying him as if he just retired, which would rid them of the entire salary cap hit? Or do they have to pay him the first few weeks? I have a contract, and I know if I refuses to work I wouldn't receive another dime. In fact, I'd be sued for breach of contract.

I know Ricky Williams ended being told he had to give some of his bonus back if he didn't start playing again, but what was the salary cap implications for the stinkin' fish at that time?

My main concern is the Bills lose the salary cap space and a WR. That would be some real crap, and I have to believe the NFL has a way to protect the team from players who just refuse to play.

639943[/snapback]

I think people are taking this comment about never playing for the Bills out of context, or least not looking at what I think the agent was saying, and its this.

Moulds agent taliking here....Listen, you have come to us and said you want Eric, but at a much reduced price. We have flat out said we will not take a penny reduction(regardless of how many fans sillily believed Eric took hometeam discounts in the past). You have stated pretty obviosly as well Eric will not be on your at his current price.

So, let my boy be free and just cut him so we can get on with finding another employer. Its the right thing to do after all his years of service, and the carousel that has been his QBs, OCs, HCs etc.

Let me state this again, Eric will not play for the Bills at reduced rate.Marv, what part of that do you not understand.

OTOH, pay me as my contract calls for, and lordy EM willlove Buffalo again and really looks forward to working with new staff and whoever wins the QB poisition to take this taem to championship, which has always been his goal.

its called negotiation, and thats all it is, again, IMHO

I think people are taking this comment about never playing for the Bills out of context, or least not looking at what I think the agent was saying, and its this.

Moulds agent taliking here....Listen, you have come to us and said you want Eric, but at a much reduced price. We have flat out said we will not take a penny reduction(regardless of how many fans sillily believed Eric took hometeam discounts in the past). You have stated pretty obviosly as well Eric will not be on your at his current price.

So, let my boy be free and just cut him so we can get on with finding another employer. Its the right thing to do after all his years of service, and the carousel that has been his QBs, OCs, HCs etc.

Let me state this again, Eric will  not play for the Bills at reduced rate.Marv, what part of that do you not understand.

OTOH, pay me as my contract calls for, and lordy EM  willlove Buffalo again and really looks forward to working with new staff and whoever wins the QB poisition to take this taem to championship, which has always been his goal.

its called negotiation, and thats all it is, again, IMHO

639973[/snapback]

Except his representative said Eric has no interest in playing for Buffalo even at his current salary.....

Except his representative said Eric has no interest in playing for Buffalo even at his current salary.....

639981[/snapback]

Again, I tthink this just all negotition. Why would his agent say any differant? When you start a negotition process, you have to lay out positions that that you feel in the end give both parties wiggle room, and where both can come out feeling like they got some concessions, or wins, from the other guy. And you have to say in the beginning you are firm on your original proposal, or the other party will always think there is something more on the table.

In other words, what is the best thing for Erik? To be a UFA, obviosly. By letting the agent seek a trade, Marv is going to really glean the potential interest in EM without risking cutting him. The agent also gets to know Eriks value, as now he can discuss what a new contract with EM would like with other teams, which he could not without that permission as that would be tampering, and we all know that would never be allowed in the NFL, right Skins?

So in the end, gives both sides more info to make an educated decision.

Anyway, its a negotition, and thats all it is, again IMHO.

Again, I tthink this just all negotition. Why would his agent say any differant? When you start a negotition process, you have to lay out positions that that you feel in the end give both parties wiggle room, and where both can come out feeling like they got some concessions, or wins, from the other guy. And you have to say in the beginning you are firm on your original proposal, or the other party will always think there is something more on the table.

In other words, what is the best thing for Erik? To be a UFA, obviosly. By letting the agent seek a trade, Marv is going to really glean the potential interest in EM without risking cutting him.  The agent also gets to know Eriks value, as now he can discuss what a new contract with EM would like with other teams, which he could not without that permission as that would be tampering, and we all know that would never be allowed in the NFL, right Skins?

So in the end, gives both sides more info to make an educated decision.

Anyway, its a negotition, and thats all it is, again IMHO.

640004[/snapback]

I think you are dead wrong. His agent said very directly to the press that Moulds will not play for Buffalo again. He didn't say he won't play for less money. He said he won't play for the Bills again. Now he has put his player is a position where in order to play for the Bills again he would have to swallow his pride. That is not something guys with NFL-sized egos do well.

If the agent was just negotiating, he would have said I feel I am worth the money you have already contractually agreed to pay me, so please cut me if you don't feel the same. Then he leaves the door open for Marv to retract his demands and welcome Moulds back for the already big contract.

In my view, it is very clear that Moulds does not care about burning bridges because he does not want to cross them again. That is why I asked this question.

My guess is that if Eric was an official "holdout", then the team could deny him his roster bonus and any base salary he has coming. Also someone said above, the Bills then would only be on the hook for this year's portion of his signing bonus. The sketchy part is the roster bonus -- and whether or not the Bills really can keep that from him if he refuses to show up.

I agree that this may just be a ploy, but if Eric is serious about never wanting to play for the Bills again and the Bills cannot get a decent draft pick for him, then I think this is the route that the team should take -- as it would be the most cost effective in relation to the cap. And in my book, if he flat out does not want to play for us, then I do not believe there would a good reason to accomodate EM -- and another team for that matter. Cutting him prior to June 1 would force the remainder of his signing bonus to escalate against this year's cap. For that matter, the same thing would happen if we traded him, so we had better get a decent Day 1 draft pick if we are expected to eat that kind of cap hit for a player not even with the team.

I think you are dead wrong. His agent said very directly to the press that Moulds will not play for Buffalo again. He didn't say he won't play for less money. He said he won't play for the Bills again. Now he has put his player is a position where in order to play for the Bills again he would have to swallow his pride. That is not something guys with NFL-sized egos do well.

If the agent was just negotiating, he would have said I feel I am worth the money you have already contractually agreed to pay me, so please cut me if you don't feel the same. Then he leaves the door open for Marv to retract his demands and welcome Moulds back for the already big contract.

In my view, it is very clear that Moulds does not care about burning bridges because he does not want to cross them again. That is why I asked this question.

640020[/snapback]

I see your point, but we have heard statements like this from agents and players alike since free agency first started, and evn before. I am pretty sure ole Bruce Smith stated more than one time he would never play for the Bills again during some of his holdouts. Just happened in Baltimore if I'm correct about, with Jamal Lewis. Though he was promised something by the Ravens, a redo of his contract last year, and it never happened.He said would never again play for them as he felt lied to. What ya know, he signed a new deal.

Think that one year Emmit staged a holdout he also said he would never again play for the cowboys.

Could be Eric has some bad blood over that suspension last year and really does want out. But my gut tells me he will just "try and win a championship" wherever he ends up, andthat happens to be the palce where he gets paid the most. If thats in Buffalo, all will be forgotten as part of negotiation. And lets remeber, Eric has not spoken on this if I'm correct, only his agent.

Cutting him prior to June 1 would force the remainder of his signing bonus to escalate against this year's cap

Actually, in the new CBA, a team can designate two players per year destined for June cuts and cut them earlier, and still prorate the dead spave over the next two years.However, you must still carry the salary on your cap until June 1.Big win here for the players, although doean't happen as much now as before.

I see your point, but we have heard statements like this from agents and players alike since free agency first started, and evn before. I am pretty sure ole Bruce Smith stated more than one time he would never play for the Bills again during some of his holdouts. Just happened in Baltimore if I'm correct about, with Jamal Lewis. Though he was promised something by the Ravens, a redo of his contract last year, and it never happened.He said would never again play for them as he felt lied to. What ya know, he signed a new deal.

Think that one year Emmit staged a holdout he also said he would never again play for the cowboys.

Could be Eric has some bad blood over that suspension last year and really does want out. But my gut tells me he will just "try and win a championship" wherever he ends up,  andthat happens to be the palce where he gets paid the most. If thats in Buffalo, all will be forgotten as part of negotiation. And lets remeber, Eric has not spoken on this if I'm correct, only his agent.

640105[/snapback]

OK, your points all add up, but I still think that his agent would find a more efficent way to negotiate through the press if that was what he is doing. Rather, it seems, he is creating such a stir that Marv is bound to eventually realize Moulds would be more of a distraction next year than he is worth. That is evidently what the agent is aiming for, in hopes to get his client cut and on the market -- not to get Marv to change his mind about asking Moulds to take a pay cut.