Another Wonderlic thought, and QB's...

You are correct.  It's good to have an itelligent, quick thinking QB...of course, athletic ability is also a must.  But, for judging the "smarts", the Wonderlic is probably not one of your better tools.

640060[/snapback]

As alluded to and I agree. The wonderlic is pretty dumbed down (what a stunner). There are plenty of ways to test that, and along Tenny's vein I wonder if that is part of the interview process in the NFL. Specifically Buffalo. I'm not saying at all everyone needs to be a pHD...but as Bill implied there are certain positions that require at least some brain over brawn. QB being the most obvious. Crap, look at Vick. I'll also say that a lineman who understands the physics of leverage can be better than the stronger guy. Maybe that's why they score higher?

I know, I know... "He's fast and can pump 3,000 pounds!"

Manning (Payton) is another one of those guys that seems to be calling and changing a lot of stuff at the line of scrimmage, and takes a while to get a play off.

Interesting that Jim Kelly, who scored a 15, was able to call 3-4 plays at a time using the no-huddle, and handle all the reads, audibles, etc.

Also interesting that Marino scored a 15 as well - I wonder if he and Kelly were cheating off each other? :doh:

Manning (Payton) is another one of those guys that seems to be calling and changing a lot of stuff at the line of scrimmage, and takes a while to get a play off.

Interesting that Jim Kelly, who scored a 15, was able to call 3-4 plays at a time using the no-huddle, and handle all the reads, audibles, etc.

Also interesting that Marino scored a 15 as well - I wonder if he and Kelly were cheating off each other? :doh:

640098[/snapback]

Trying to prove a point or agreeing that the "Wonderlic" isn't the best avenue?

I really am torn on this issue....I think it's safe to say that QB's who make it to the elite level of the NFL never let their studies get in the way of their game (there may be several exceptions). What I'm getting at is when they get to the real world NFL and have to earn their keep as opposed to just being an elite talent among guys who will be going 9-5 for the rest of their lives a natural maturation process occurs. They learn how to learn from good coaches and Veterans. While scoring a 6 or whatever Young scored is rediculous for an adult human being, something in the teens can be worked with. I just really believe that a reality check in the NFL as well as the desire to hang onto that check with all those zeros after it make the player become much more of a student than they ever were coming out of college.

Trying to prove a point or agreeing that the "Wonderlic" isn't the best avenue?

640116[/snapback]

I think I'm agreeing, and making an observation - Bradshaw, Kelly, and Marino all scored 15 - and all are in the HOF.

(Though I'd probably be a little nervous about drafting a guy that scores a 6.)

I think I'm agreeing, and making an observation - Bradshaw, Kelly, and Marino all scored 15 - and all are in the HOF.

(Though I'd probably be a little nervous about drafting a guy that scores a 6.)

640166[/snapback]

I'd be very, very nervous on anyone scoring a 6. The squirrell sleeping on my fencepost can score a six.

I just think it's important, and not at all an intangible. But, anything linking the word intelligence to anything seems like a "your a geek, dude...go away".

I'd be very, very nervous on anyone scoring a 6. The squirrell sleeping on my fencepost can score a six.

I just think it's important, and not at all an intangible. But, anything linking the word intelligence to anything seems like a "your a geek, dude...go away".

640198[/snapback]

My only issue with this is...there's probably something going on OTHER than intelligence with someone who legitimately scored a "6". Dyslexia (or some other learning disorder), severe test-taking anxiety, not giving a flying fu#k about the test and making a nice picture...etc.

For "known" players (that is, players on major programs who play good competition, players with a lot on film, players who've played in big games, etc.) ther are much better measures of football intelligence than the Wonderlic.

640198[/snapback]

Agree completely - I'd like to see intelligence at every position, especially at QB. That's why those wanting the Bills to draft Vince Young scare the crap outa me.

Tough to find that combination of intellect, athleticism, and instincts - maybe Nall has it.

Or, we could draft Jeff Mroz out of Yale, along with Kevin Boothe (Cornell)...

Ivy League Prospects