Another Wonderlic thought, and QB's...

Anyone catch on NFL network the show about QB's and play calling? The combinations that get called in to the QB aren't that simple - NFL as opposed to college. Maybe 20-30 seconds for a QB to get and understand the play, relay it in the huddle, form it in his mind and execute. I'd rather have a smart QB that doesn't have all the "gifts" than one who is the freak athlete and can't find his Humvee in the parking lot.

Anyone catch on NFL network the show about QB's and play calling? The combinations that get called in to the QB aren't that simple - NFL as opposed to college. Maybe 20-30 seconds for a QB to get and understand the play, relay it in the huddle, form it in his mind and execute. I'd rather have a smart QB that doesn't have all the "gifts" than one who is the freak athlete and can't find his Humvee in the parking lot.

639839[/snapback]

QB is the position where a low Wonderlic would scare me were I a GM. There is too much information for an NFL QB to process in a short amount of time. You mention the play call. Add recognizing the defense, adjusting to line calls, calling an audible, keeping yourself focused downfield when Bruce Smith is bearing down on you...an NFL QB has to be able to process information quickly and act just as quickly.

QB, Center and Left tackle are 3 positions on the offense where the guy had better know what he is doing.

With that said, doesn't it bother you to that the QB and LT that a lot of folks want have a combined score in the 20 range? I don't know what Fowler or Preston scores are but would not be surprised to have it be higher then JP and Peters combined.

BTW, Fowler had a 22:

http://browns.scout.com/2/51672.html

Preston, got a 27 the first time and a 30 the second:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/20...OC-Illinois.htm

Nall had a 31:

http://www2.jsonline.com/packer/news/aug02...sp?format=print

JP had a 14 on his first:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/20...p-QB-Tulane.htm

639839[/snapback]

I would suspect in the interview process, that there are numerous question regarding their football acumen. Like what would you audible if you saw this, or would you do if you saw that.

QB is the position where a low Wonderlic would scare me were I a GM.  There is too much information for an NFL QB to process in a short amount of time.  You mention the play call.  Add recognizing the defense, adjusting to line calls, calling an audible, keeping yourself focused downfield when Bruce Smith is bearing down on you...an NFL QB has to be able to process information quickly and act just as quickly.

639846[/snapback]

Multi-tasking. Look at the one's who are consistently successful. They aren't necessarily smart-smart, but can process quick. Brady comes to mind. Maybe the wonderlic isn't the best measure, but were I a GM that would be high on my list when looking. Maybe that's why some truely good QB's can come later in the draft? Got to have skills too, for sure. I think Alex Van Pelt was a very smart QB, but just didn't have the skills to pass into that level.

639839[/snapback]

QB is the glamour position in the entire sports world. Football can be played starting around, what, 6 six years old? Everyone wants this job (I know I did). So why, oh why are are there only about 15-18 guys in the NFL that are really effective at it in?

There are a lot external factors that determine a QB's success (quality of teammates, ability of coachs to implement a system that fits, luck), but you hit it on the head: there just aren't that many guys with the physical ability, coupled with smarts and confidence that can succeed at the NFL level.

I would suspect in the interview process, that there are numerous question regarding their football acumen. Like what would you audible if you saw this, or would you do if you saw that.

639857[/snapback]

Easier to discuss fire and movement while sitting in a chair than it is dodging AK rounds.

Easier to discuss fire and movement while sitting in a chair than it is dodging AK rounds.

639863[/snapback]

No doubt. Just a thought though.

Since we so many former NFL GM's that post here, maybe they could tell us, then again maybe not. :ph34r:

I think Alex Van Pelt was a very smart QB, but just didn't have the skills to pass into that level.

639860[/snapback]

There's been quite a few in that catagory. I think Shane Mattews fits in there.

The B'gals had Neil O'Donnell for a year and the fans booed him out of town - unfortunately - because he did the right - smart - thing for an atrocious '98 team. He hit 62%, 15 tds and only 4 ints. They ended the season at 3 - 13, true, but the defense gave up over 30 points in 7 of their games.

VABills brings up a good point (It's good because I've thought about it as well :ph34r: ). If any stat-mongers want to look it up, I'd be curious to see where this batch of FA's stands in that regard.

Marv is among other things, an academic and may place more emphasis there than others. TD was just greedy and Mularkey was a rock with a baseball cap. From what I've heard, Jauron isn't any dummy either.

I subscribe that a smart team can beat a more athletic, but dumber team any Sunday in the season.

VABills brings up a good point (It's good because I've thought about it as well  :ph34r: ). If any stat-mongers want to look it up, I'd be curious to see where this batch of FA's stands in that regard.

Marv is among other things, an academic and may place more emphasis there than others. TD was just greedy and Mularkey was a rock with a baseball cap. From what I've heard, Jauron isn't any dummy either.

I subscribe that a smart team can beat a more athletic, but dumber team any Sunday in the season.

639878[/snapback]

Look at the QB's picked early last year (1st three rounds). You had Smith, Rogers, Campbell, Frye, and Walter. I believe Campbell had the lowest score at 28. Maybe GM's/coaches are mostly starting to think that as well.

Thanks, Bill - that's what I'm talking about.

639883[/snapback]

Nall seems to have had some footwork issues early in his career. but never seeing him, I dont know what the problem was. He seems to have a lot of qualities I like in a QB, intelligence being a big one. I am more of a stay at home, and find the receiver passer, and he is more in line there, plus they say he has good touch on the short ball while still having a strong arm. Too me, it is like having Kelly Holcomb and Bledsoe combined. The best from each.

Again, worried about the issue with footwork, as that can throw accuracy out the window.

Of the rookies, Young and his 6 can go elsewhere. Leinart got a great score at 35, and I don't know how Cutler did. I am under the impression he may have the highest score this year, but wasn't able to find it anywhere.

There are actually several different systems and techniques for improving mental acuity. I wonder how much "conditioning" coaches or what not pay attention to that? Or players on their own. An interesting read on the subject is this book:

Mozarts Brain

Besides explaining, it contains many drills and exercises. Were I a coach, I'd make it required reading. Actually, not a bad read for anyone that wants to improve their mental skills.

Besides explaining, it contains many drills and exercises. Were I a coach, I'd make it required reading. Actually, not a bad read for anyone that wants to improve their mental skills.

639898[/snapback]

Maybe they should give free copies of it to everyone who joins this board, Maybe then we would not have so Many "What if Vince Young falls to #8 posts" or "The Bills should be making a move for T.O."

Maybe they should give free copies of it to everyone who joins this board, Maybe then we would not have so Many "What if Vince Young falls to #8 posts" or "The Bills should be making a move for T.O."

639948[/snapback]

It also means someone actually wants to improve themselves, and not figure they were already at their peak. Anyone can improve their mind. I haven't seen many people who feel they have a reason. It's actually much easier to lift weights.

QB, Center and Left tackle are 3 positions on the offense where the guy had better know what he is doing. 

With that said, doesn't it bother you to that the QB and LT that a lot of folks want have a combined score in the 20 range?  I don't know what Fowler or Preston scores are but would not be surprised to have it be higher then JP and Peters combined.

JP had a 14 on his first:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/20...p-QB-Tulane.htm

639855[/snapback]

639839[/snapback]

You are correct. It's good to have an itelligent, quick thinking QB...of course, athletic ability is also a must. But, for judging the "smarts", the Wonderlic is probably not one of your better tools.