6 month jail sentence changed to 5 years

ch19079

Remember in the 80's when the federal goverment closed mental hospitles, then the came the homeless epidemic, now the prisons and jails are the new mental hospitles.

639235[/snapback]

I couldn't agree more.

Not to get all political and/or ugly... :blush::lol: Didn't the head honcho that was on watch during those times eventually go mental himself.

And all you wise guys out there... I am not in jail yet!... :doh::P

nice quote.

but i dont know about the greatest movie ever made part...

641210[/snapback]

movie gets better each time you watch it

so many jokes and great lines you just couldn't understand as a kid

not the greatest, but pretty damn good

Back in the 1700s, America had the world's largest penal colony. I think it was Jamestown. Perhaps we're coming full circle.  :blush:

639304[/snapback]

I beg to differ... Aussie... Wasn't Australia the world's largest penal colony? Not sure if you were being funny?

And Dr. Fong was right GA was.

:lol::doh:

movie gets better each time you watch it

so many jokes and great lines you just couldn't understand as a kid

not the greatest, but pretty damn good

641224[/snapback]

Maybe not the GREATEST, but dam sure is in my top 10. Agree, gets better and better.

my top ten:

1. Seven Samurai

2. High Noon

3. Godfather

4. Farewell my Concubine

5. Godfather 2

6. Apocalypse Now

7. Bridge on the River Kwai

8. Battleship Potemkin

9. Ran (Kurosawa)

10. Psycho (Hitchcock)

I feel badly not having John Ford in there...so include The Searchers or My Darling Clementine as runners up.

my top ten:

1. Seven Samurai

2. High Noon

3. Godfather

4. Farewell my Concubine

5. Godfather 2

6. Apocalypse Now

7. Bridge on the River Kwai

8. Battleship Potemkin

9. Ran (Kurosawa)

10. Psycho (Hitchcock)

I feel badly not having John Ford in there...so include The Searchers or My Darling Clementine as runners up.

641265[/snapback]

My local library has a good colection of movie classics. I have watched quite a few and henry fonda has been in some good ones. Most recently watched grapes of wrath.

Maybe so, but this to me is another example of a judge abusing his discretion. Making an example out of someone always rubs me the wrong way.

642058[/snapback]

Actually, according to some of the things I've read, the maximum he should have gotten was six months for contempt. Five years is more than "just" abusing his discretion, it's an egregious abuse.

However, it's also possible the judge was making a point, knowing a five-year sentence would be overturned on appeal, but demonstrate nonetheless that he wasn't someone to be !@#$ed with in his own court.

Or he's just an !@#$. I could go either way on this...

Actually, according to some of the things I've read, the maximum he should have gotten was six months for contempt.  Five years is more than "just" abusing his discretion, it's an egregious abuse.

However, it's also possible the judge was making a point, knowing a five-year sentence would be overturned on appeal, but demonstrate nonetheless that he wasn't someone to be !@#$ed with in his own court.

Or he's just an !@#$.  I could go either way on this...

642421[/snapback]

I'd be willing to bet anty amount of money the case will be overturned on appeal, just as you say. The judge was just making his point. The basis will be an abuse of discretion.

Seems to me the dumbass broke the law.

Steelers | Police and courts: T. Carter

Wed, 22 Mar 2006 06:26:24 -0800

The Associated Press reports the brother of Pittsburgh Steelers S Tyrone Carter, Tank Carter, was sentenced five years in prison for driving with a revoked license. His original sentence was six months. Tank was scheduled to report to a Broward County, Fla. jail in January, but instead he watched the Steelers beat the Seattle Seahawks in Super Bowl XL. He reported for jail on Feb. 13. The judge did not like that and increased his sentence to five years.

damn, so was it worth it? LOL

638773[/snapback]

Actually, according to some of the things I've read, the maximum he should have gotten was six months for contempt.  Five years is more than "just" abusing his discretion, it's an egregious abuse.

Or he's just an !@#$.  I could go either way on this...

642421[/snapback]

Zactly.