Going on the Record on JP Losman

JDG

I don't see where people have seen JP act like an @!@#$. I don't think I have ever heard or seen him do anything that would make me feel differently. I've seen him excited after a win, but usually notes he still has stuff to work on or could have played better. I have also seen a very humble guy when talking after a loss, usually accepting responsiblity for a loss weither he deserves it or not.

I'd rather see a kid on the field get excited and slapping high fives with his team after a good play then someone who shows no emotion at all. As for dogging him for being handed the starting job, I don't think he had control over that. Its not like he walked up to TD and MM and demanded Drew be released and he be given the starting job. I'm sure anyone in that position would not turn it done if given that opportunity (and not just to be a starting NFL QB but in their current job if handed a promotion)

639928[/snapback]

I fully agree with your assertion that it was not the fault of JP that he was handed the starting job. That was arrogance and incompetence on the part of TD, and it is SO great to have him out of here! He lost to the scrubs of his former team, and just couldn't handle it, nor take any responsibility.

Let me pose it to you in the form of a question.....were you impressed by what you saw of JP on the field and sidelines in 05?

I for one was not. This does NOT mean that I want to see Holcomb. He all but sucks and is nothing but a backup. I am not sure if Holcomb could have won with the Steeler or Cowboy dynasties. Because of the dumb trade that Donahoe made for JP (which I was against from the day that it happened), we are stuck with him and might as well give him the nod unless Nall beats him out in camp (imo a likely scenario).

That said, nothing would please me more than for JP to prove to be a good NFL qb in 06. We Bills Fans deserve a break as such.

Btw, thanks for the dialogue. :lol:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way I read it, you think Losman will fail just because you think he will fail.  Not a lot of substantive info in there, though it is true that Losman is inaccurate.  Accuracy is great, it's a big part of why Tom Brady is so good, but there is more than one way to play QB.

My take on Losman all along is that he has Donovan McNabb-type ability.  He's athletic and a threat to run, has a strong arm and is very streaky.  Accuracy is very important, but moving the chains and scoring TD's are what quarterbacking is all about.

A guy like Kelly Holcomb will appear more efficient on paper than McNabb, posting better completion %,  higher QB rating, even a higher yards per attempt,  but many efficiency stats are actually padded by quarterbacking failures.  IMO, Losman has the ability to replicate McNabb's success, and then possibly grow into a more accurate passer as he matures.  It may come as a shock to some to compare Losman to McNabb, but only because you've HEARD of him.  Losman has comparable skill.  I'd rather have a Tom Brady type, but I do think Losman has a very good chance to be a star QB.

638493[/snapback]

Losman could also be put up as a poor man's Michael Vick. Great athlete. Not sure the elevator goes all the way up. A streak thrower, not a passer. Can make something exciting happen one play and look like a fool the next.

Well, he's taller than Vick. And Flutie.

Really, my posts are basically just responses to what I view to be two prevalent myths among Bills fans:

1) MYTH #1 - Losman's statistical performance last year is comparable to any number of other successful QB's who struggled early in their careers.

2) MYTH #2 - It is unfathomable that the Bills' brain trust could decide after just two seasons and 9 games that Losman "just doesn't have it" and begin making plans to move on (such as drafting a QB at #8 overall if one falls to us, or such as naming Nall or Holcomb the starter for next year, or such as drafting a QB in rounds 2-4 of the draft.) 

639007[/snapback]

On point 1:

Losman did suck hard in his early starts. Is anybody disputing that? Still, he bounced back and played better the second time around. Still, he was nowhere close to ready when he was handed this team and TD and MM were complete idiots to have not seen this train wreck coming. In their zeal to compare the size of their manhoods against Bill Cowher, they ended up being Bobbit-ized.

If Losman had completed exactly ONE more pass on the season he would have hit the magic plateau of 50% completion percentage. If his receivers hadn't dropped two passes, he's over 50% (50.4%) on the season. (50% is the make or break line, right?)

On point 2:

Sure, lots of things are possible. So what? But more to the point, I don't think they are 100% sure Losman sucks hard.

Furthermore, stepping back from the QB myopia a bit, there is an entire team that needs to be rebuilt here. This team needs help everywhere. And, frankly, whether it is Losman or Holcomb or Nall or Stevie Wonder under center this year, the Bills cupboards have been stripped bare. The team needs talent and that talent has to pan out to get things turned around. If the Bills want to get things right again, they need to make great draft picks and not roll the dice on some fast-riser as the next savior at the QB position.

I, for one, don't say I hope they do not draft one of the 3 QBs merely because they are QBs, but because I think all 3 have serious question marks in their games AND because there are better players with higher floors in talent that can pay immediate dividends that will be on the board. The team can get by without the next Joe Montana for another year, surely. They can win 5 or 6 behind Holcomb and pick the next Joe Montana next year in a worst case scenario.