Cards officially match Wells offer

Dan III

Which our business office should have realized.

637689[/snapback]

Look, there's always a chance that AZ had their eyes on a couple of big name FAs that they may have targeted, leaving them with hard choices to make on Wells. Who knows, maybe they were even targeting one of the same O-line FAs the Bills were, and the Wells signing forces them to back off on this idea.

Why are you so concerned about taking a gamble like this? It's like buying a lottery ticket.

Lenny P's column today had this to say about RFA activity:

Typically, teams don't look to the restricted free agent market until a month or so into the signing period. But there has been a flurry of activity already, with two restricted players changing teams in the first 10 days of free agency, and two more signing offer sheets that will pay them significantly more than they were scheduled to earn.

"There's definitely more early interest than I've ever seen before, no doubt about it," said the agent for one of the more highly regarded restricted free agents, who has a few potential suitors despite carrying a first-round compensation price tag. "I think it's a combination of a lot of factors, including the fact the unrestricted [talent pool] isn't that good this year. Plus, there are always going to be a few [gutsy] teams that think they can steal a good, young player out of the restricted market."

I like the aggressive attitude, even if it was a long shot.

Why are you so concerned about taking a gamble like this?  It's like buying a lottery ticket. 

637731[/snapback]

Thank you, I couldn't have said it better myself. The team took a 1:1,000,000,000 gamble. Duh, it didn't work out.

Plus if the Cards didn't bite at the big money then the Bills are only out a 6th rounder for a starter. Not a bad risk to take.

Vince Manuwai & Derrick Dockery are still out there if Marv wants to try the RFA route again.

Plus if the Cards didn't bite at the big money then the Bills are only out a 6th rounder for a starter.  Not a bad risk to take.

Vince Manuwai & Derrick Dockery are still out there if Marv wants to try the RFA route again.

637875[/snapback]

Why not do the work for their teams too since we just did it for the Cardinals and pretty soon the Bears.

I seem to remember a certain RFA signed by the anti-christ (TD)....TKO...so you never know unless you make the offer.

638026[/snapback]

Nope, transition tagged, not a FA.

I don't understand the negativity here about this, I really don't. My reaction is more of a shrug that it didn't work out; it wasn't some daring coup to try to sign him and it wasn't a stupid maneuver. Worth a shot to see just how committed the Cards really were to keeping the guy around. I mean, it is the Cardinals, after all.