Hockey Playoffs

What's the gameplan for the tv schedule?  I'm assuming NBC isn't going to show games every night for 3 months.  Will they be on CNBC or something?  Are there just going to be fewer games shown than what ESPN has done in the past?

637229[/snapback]

For the Finals, OLN will show the 1st 2 games and NBC the rest. I am expecting the Semi-finals to be entirely covered by OLN and NBC (with NBC showing 1 game per week) and expect MSG not to cover them. That is the way the TV contracts worked with ESPN and ABC/Fox.

OLN claims that they will show "wall to wall playoff coverage". What that means, I don't know. My guess is that they will show 1 or 2 games most nights, much as ESPN and the Deuce did. I expect MSG to show any Sabres game from Rounds 1&2 that isn't picked up by OLN or NBC. NBC will show 1 weekend game each week until the Finals. Center Ice will also pick up anything not shown by OLN or NBC.

Pardon my ignorance: what is OLN?

637280[/snapback]

Outdoor Life Network. They are the cable network that won the rights to the NHL after ESPN didn't renew their contract. Prior to getting the cable NHL contract it primarily showed fishing shows and Survivor repeats.

OLN isn't seen on all cable systems, but apparently is on most systems. IF OLN is on an upper tier with that particular cable system, they may not show NHL games. Dish was having issues with OLN and their NHL coverage as well at the beginning of the season. I don't know what the current status of their showing games is, as I have DirecTV and CI.

DirecTV and Comcast cable systems show all the OLN NHL games.

I am assuming your provider doesn't have OLN, as you haven't heard of it.

Oh, cool. I haven't seen the Sabres at all this year. I'm interested to see what games I'll get down here in Philly. I'm hoping they don't play the Flyers because that series would be covered by the local sports channel, which I don't get via DirecTV.

There are plenty of channels I get that I don't watch, so I could easily have OLN and not know it.

Oh, cool.  I haven't seen the Sabres at all this year.  I'm interested to see what games I'll get down here in Philly.    I'm hoping they don't play the Flyers because that series would be covered by the local sports channel, which I don't get via DirecTV.

There are plenty of channels I get that I don't watch, so I could easily have OLN and not know it.

637308[/snapback]

OLN is 608 on DirecTV. They have 11 more NHL regular season games on the schedule, including Buffalo at Carolina on the 18th.

You are lucky!  I don't understand why Direect TV has no CBC availability.  If you don't live near the border you're out of luck.  Haven't seen Don Cherry in years! :devil:

637332[/snapback]

Probably because it is Canadian and several of its programs are already shown in the States. My guess is that it has to do with other entities having US broadcast rights, but I don't know that for certain. Perhaps the Dean or someone else with more knowledge of TV operations could answer with more authority.

I have dishnetwork and OLN is not even available on any tier. There was a recent article in the Buffalo News about Sabres fans not being able to see the playoff games if they are on OLN.

Also, only 10% of Adelphia subscribers in WNY get OLN as it it only on the Gold Digital pak.

My guess is that there are going to be many pissed off Sabres fans come playoff time.

I have dishnetwork and OLN is not even available on any tier.  There was a recent article in the Buffalo News about Sabres fans not being able to see the playoff games if they are on OLN. 

Also, only 10% of Adelphia subscribers in WNY get OLN as it it only on the Gold Digital pak.

My guess is that there are going to be many pissed off Sabres fans come playoff time.

637348[/snapback]

I guess I'm lucky I have DirecTV then - according to their website OLN is part of their basic $45 package.

you out of towners, with relatives in WNY ..should get slingbox..seems as if you could watch all of the Sabres you need with it..

637364[/snapback]

Provided their relative gets OLN, which is not universally available on all systems in WNY.

If they are out of town, signing up with a cable carrier / satellite provider that has OLN on a low tier and signing up for CI will get them even more games than locals get; as 4 games were blacked out this regular season. It's my understanding that 3 of those games were shown in the other team's market. (Atlanta (3/1) being the lone exception.) So, if you had OLN and CI, you'd have seen 81 Sabres games and would see all of the playoff games. Live in WNY w/out OLN and you got 75 games and will most likely miss some early round games and will most likely miss all semifinal games and the 1st 2 finals games (assuming the Sabres are to make it that far).

Provided their relative gets OLN, which is not universally available on all systems in WNY.

If they are out of town, signing up with a cable carrier / satellite provider that has OLN on a low tier and signing up for CI will get them even more games than locals get; as 4 games were blacked out this regular season.  It's my understanding that 3 of those games were shown in the other team's market. (Atlanta (3/1) being the lone exception.)  So, if you had OLN and CI, you'd have seen 81 Sabres games and would see all of the playoff games.  Live in WNY w/out OLN and you got 75 games and will most likely miss some early round games and will most likely miss all semifinal games and the 1st 2 finals games (assuming the Sabres are to make it that far).

637382[/snapback]

i am not talking about OLN..talking about MSG and CBC

i am not talking about OLN..talking about MSG and CBC

637409[/snapback]

Not everyone in WNY gets CBC (at least not through their cable system / satellite, and there are a few locations where "rabbit ears" won't help either).

Also, if OLN picks up a Sabres playoff game that is on at the same time that CBC shows a different game (Montreal or Ottawa, perhaps) or in a timeslot that CBC decides not to show a game (less likely), then if you are in WNY and don't get OLN but do get CBC, you will still miss the Sabres game. If you were out of town w/ DirecTV w/ or w/out CI, you would get that game.

You are lucky!  I don't understand why Direect TV has no CBC availability.  If you don't live near the border you're out of luck.  Haven't seen Don Cherry in years! :P

637332[/snapback]

Direct TV picks up CBC feeds on Saturday nights. I watch Cherry and friends all the time.

Probably because it is Canadian and several of its programs are already shown in the States.  My guess is that it has to do with other entities having US broadcast rights, but I don't know that for certain.  Perhaps the Dean or someone else with more knowledge of TV operations could answer with more authority.

637344[/snapback]

Wish i could help. DTV in the USA doesn't seem to carry any foreign networks (it's strange for me to think of CBC and Hockey night in Canada as "foreign"). BBC America is...well, American (made for the USA).

As much as i LOVE living in SF, I miss access to Canadian TV (as a "bonus"...i woldn't trade Canadian TV for USA TV).