Nall to only compete for backup job

ACor58

Hmmmm....this seems odd. We are all figuring him at get a shot at starting.

Craig Nall agreed to a three-year contract with Buffalo, believing the Bills will give him the best shot as a backup quarterback. Agent Robb Nelson said Monday he is completing terms of the deal that his client agreed to Sunday. Nall, an unrestricted free agent, also was being pursued by Green Bay and Minnesota, Nelson said.

Nall, who is expected to get a shot at competing for the No. 2 job, spent the past four seasons as Green Bay's third-stringer. His future with the Packers was further clouded after they selected Aaron Rodgers in the first round of last year's draft.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FBN...EMPLATE=DEFAULT

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/foot...l.ap/index.html

im not sure i believe that since evey othe report posted states he gave up a job to possibly battle for the number 1 job if Favre was to retire

636998[/snapback]

I'll hold off judgement until the press conference, if there is one.

As a Packer fan I have watched this guy's developement with interest. Did you know he made it to the NCAA finals in Track and Field as a Javelin thrower? He did. I hope that will address arm strength.

Drafted in 5th round in 2002 he went to NFL Europe in 2003 and lead the league in passing.

http://www.nfleurope.com/stats/leaders/2003

He spent 02 and 03 learning and became Favre's back up in 2004. He has beat out Tim Couch, Akili Smith, and Doug Peterson for back up jobs. He got some game time in 2004 and was 23 of 33 for 314 yards and a passer rating of 139.4 and 4 TD's. 5 of those passes were more than 20 yards and 1 over 40 yards. Nice stats but he was finishing games in which the Packers were way behind and Favre was pulled. Still a fourth of his passes were accurate and long. 3 years of development and it looked like the Packers had Favre's successor.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302094

In 2004 Aaron Rodgers, a highly touted rookie prospect with talk of being #1, overall fell to pick 24 as few wanted a QB project. The Packers took Rodgers and the politics of a highly paid rookie took over. Nall will not beat out Favre and he is not the annointed successor so he is almost forced out by politics and contract size not on merit.

Nall has 4 seasons of development behind him. He is coming into the prime of his career. As you have seen with Losman it takes a few years to develop as a QB.

He has to be one of the best bargains on the free agent market.

Losman will have some pressure!

Okay, what are Nall's weaknesses you ask? He is a gamer. He looks much better in game situations than in practice. As a rookie he was almost cut and then had a very impressive final preseason game. He is great when the pressure is on but needs that adrenaline. In practice without it he may not be crisp.

The Bills now have a great luxury that many teams would like. Excellent depth at QB regardless of who is starting. Critics might label the situation as having 3 good #2 QB's. Bills fans will be happy.

Losman still needs some development and Nall is ready. Every year the Packers had somebody rated higher than Nall by "experts" and every year he beat out the camp competition. He is used to competion for a job. I would not be suprised to see Nall starting. He is competing for the starting job not #2 or #3.

Best of all I am happy that he signed with a quality organization that will give him an open shot to compete and be up front and honest with him.

Hmmmm....this seems odd. We are all figuring him at  get a shot at starting.

Nall, who is expected to get a shot at competing for the No. 2 job, spent the past four seasons as Green Bay's third-stringer.

The key word is "expected." But notice the writer does not say who expects that. So, I am left to assume the expecting person is the writer. Do not read much into this.

As a Packer fan I have watched this guy's developement with interest.  Did you know he made it to the NCAA finals in Track and Field as a Javelin thrower?  He did.  I hope that will address arm strength. 

Drafted in 5th round in 2002 he went to NFL Europe in 2003 and lead the league in passing. 

http://www.nfleurope.com/stats/leaders/2003 

He spent 02 and 03 learning and became Favre's back up in 2004.  He has beat out Tim Couch, Akili Smith, and Doug Peterson for back up jobs.  He got some game time in 2004 and was 23 of 33 for 314 yards and a passer rating of 139.4 and 4 TD's.  5 of those passes were more than 20 yards and 1 over 40 yards.  Nice stats but he was finishing games in which the Packers were way behind and Favre was pulled. Still a fourth of his passes were accurate and long.  3 years of development and it looked like the Packers had Favre's successor. 

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302094

In 2004 Aaron Rodgers, a highly touted rookie prospect with talk of being #1, overall fell to pick 24 as few wanted a QB project.  The Packers took Rodgers and the politics of a highly paid rookie took over.  Nall will not beat out Favre and he is not the annointed successor so he is almost forced out by politics and contract size not on merit.

Nall has 4 seasons of development behind him.  He is coming into the prime of his career.  As you have seen with Losman it takes a few years to develop as a QB. 

He has to be one of the best bargains on the free agent market. 

Losman will have some pressure!

Okay, what are Nall's weaknesses you ask?  He is a gamer.  He looks much better in game situations than in practice.  As a rookie he was almost cut and then had a very impressive final preseason game.  He is great when the pressure is on but needs that adrenaline.  In practice without it he may not be crisp. 

The Bills now have a great luxury that many teams would like.  Excellent depth at QB regardless of who is starting.  Critics might label the situation as having 3 good #2 QB's.  Bills fans will be happy.

Losman still needs some development and Nall is ready.  Every year the Packers had somebody rated higher than Nall by "experts" and every year he beat out the camp competition.  He is used to competion for a job.  I would not be suprised to see Nall starting.  He is competing for the starting job not #2 or #3. 

Best of all I am happy that he signed with a quality organization that will give him an open shot to compete and be up front and honest with him.

637135[/snapback]

Good post buddy and thanks for the insight. I am looking forward to seeing what hes got.

I like this pickup by Grandpa Simpson. Nall does follow the line of former Brett Farve backups that include Aaron Brooks, Steve Bono, Mark Brunell, Ty Detmer, Jim McMahon, and Matt Hasselbeck. With that in mind, we can hope that Nall enjoys a level of success near one of these guys. I do realize that BOne, and McMahon were past their primes also, but the others did well behind Farve.

http://www.packers.com/history/all_time_ro...ination_search/