So I drove to Memphis this weekend

what a long boring drive from richmond. Memphis is a pretty cool city. Did all the touristy things, went to the peabody, spent st. pats day on beal street, went to Sun records, went to the lorraine motel, argued with some lady protestor, drove across the Mississippi river, went to graceland, drove into mississippi, ate BBQ, then drove home. If you are ever near or in memphis, take it all in, there is some cool stuff to do and see, and it doesn't have to expensive. Also got to see Carmelo vs Hak

ok so there is this lady outside the Lorraine Motel with a table and has been there for like 1800 straight days protesting the gentrification( i am not a particularly smart fellow so I do not know what that long word means) of Dr. MLK. So I was curious and very nicely went over and asked what she was protesting. She told me that it was because they are making money off tourists in the name of Dr. MLK and she feels/knows that this is not what he wanted. Turns out she was the last person evicted from the lorraine when it was turned into a museum...so now we are getting somewhere. I told her that I felt it was a very "nice" monument to honor Dr. MLK's legacy and memory, she then goes on saying that the area used to be a nice black neighborhood and they took that away, at which point I chimed in that maybe that was part of her problem. Why did there have to be a black or white neighborhood and not a neighborhood of everyone. I then proceded to tell her that the reason her protest did not hold much weight with me is that rather than being a viable part of the economy she is sitting there expecting everyone to feel sorrry for her and take care of her needs via socia programs that she has not contributed to in over 1800 days. she told me she wasn't asking me for anything and I said she didn't have to ask, that when she goes to the doctor with some illness she can't pay for, I, a taxpayer will take care of it. She shot back that she did not plan on getting sick and takes herbs to help her stay healthy. I responded telling her I did not plan on taking a dump that day, but probably would anyway. She got mad and told me to read Dr. MLK books and get the real meaning. At this time a crowd was gathering with video cameras and I figured my "dump comment would spiral downwards very quickly...oh well. BTW, the Lorraine Motel is probably the highlight of the Memphis attractions, very moving and powerful to see the balcony from the street, then to go into the room

What's the story?

636468[/snapback]

no unfortunately, I stuck to beale street on friday then all the touristy stuff on saturday, it was a real whirlwind tour, got there friday at noon, left from graceland on saturday @ 4

Glad you had fun here in Memphis.  Did you get a chance to go to Boscos Brewery or the Flying Saucer Pub?

636640[/snapback]

ok so there is this lady outside the Lorraine Motel with a table and has been there for like 1800 straight days protesting the gentrification( i am not a particularly smart fellow so I do not know what that long word means) of Dr. MLK.  So I was curious and very nicely went over and asked what she was protesting.  She told me that it was because they are making money off tourists in the name of Dr. MLK and she feels/knows that this is not what he wanted.  Turns out she was the last person evicted from the lorraine when it was turned into a museum...so now we are getting somewhere.  I told her that I felt it was a very "nice" monument to honor Dr. MLK's legacy and memory, she then goes on saying that the area used to be a nice black neighborhood and they took that away, at which point I chimed in that maybe that was part of her problem.  Why did there have to be a black or white neighborhood and not a neighborhood of everyone.  I then proceded to tell her that the reason her protest did not hold much weight with me is that rather than being a viable part of the economy she is sitting there expecting everyone to feel sorrry for her and take care of her needs via socia programs that she has not contributed to in over 1800 days.  she told me she wasn't asking me for anything and I said she didn't have to ask, that when she goes to the doctor with some illness she can't pay for, I, a taxpayer will take care of it.  She shot back that she did not plan on getting sick and takes herbs to help her stay healthy.  I responded telling her I did not plan on taking a dump that day, but probably would anyway.  She got mad and told me to read Dr. MLK books and get the real meaning.  At this time a crowd was gathering with video cameras and I figured my "dump comment would spiral downwards very quickly...oh well.  BTW, the Lorraine Motel is probably the highlight of the Memphis attractions, very moving and powerful to see the balcony from the street, then to go into the room

636568[/snapback]

Sounds like a cross between a Monty Python skit and Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil! :devil:

did you go to the Rendezvous for barbecue?  Best in the nation.

637329[/snapback]

the next time i go there i will have to try that.

on my visit i went to Corky's and it was pretty darn good!

ok so there is this lady outside the Lorraine Motel with a table and has been there for like 1800 straight days protesting the gentrification( i am not a particularly smart fellow so I do not know what that long word means) of Dr. MLK.  So I was curious and very nicely went over and asked what she was protesting.  She told me that it was because they are making money off tourists in the name of Dr. MLK and she feels/knows that this is not what he wanted.  Turns out she was the last person evicted from the lorraine when it was turned into a museum...so now we are getting somewhere.  I told her that I felt it was a very "nice" monument to honor Dr. MLK's legacy and memory, she then goes on saying that the area used to be a nice black neighborhood and they took that away, at which point I chimed in that maybe that was part of her problem.  Why did there have to be a black or white neighborhood and not a neighborhood of everyone.  I then proceded to tell her that the reason her protest did not hold much weight with me is that rather than being a viable part of the economy she is sitting there expecting everyone to feel sorrry for her and take care of her needs via socia programs that she has not contributed to in over 1800 days.  she told me she wasn't asking me for anything and I said she didn't have to ask, that when she goes to the doctor with some illness she can't pay for, I, a taxpayer will take care of it.  She shot back that she did not plan on getting sick and takes herbs to help her stay healthy.  I responded telling her I did not plan on taking a dump that day, but probably would anyway.  She got mad and told me to read Dr. MLK books and get the real meaning.  At this time a crowd was gathering with video cameras and I figured my "dump comment would spiral downwards very quickly...oh well.  BTW, the Lorraine Motel is probably the highlight of the Memphis attractions, very moving and powerful to see the balcony from the street, then to go into the room

636568[/snapback]

i thought she was protesting because she used to work at the hotel and got let go when they turned it into a museum attraction....not so?

the highlight for my visit was the Lorraine Hotel too. Kind of odd...but you see the pictures of the balcony all your life and then one day....you are right there. to stand there in person and see it, there is something very surreal about it.

it is very surreal, especially being able to walk into the room, and if i understood it correctly she was the last person evicted from the motel, I could be wrong though. It is funny that the tour bus that goes by gives her a shout out and even says hi and bye to her as they come and go

i thought she was protesting because she used to work at the hotel and got let go when they turned it into a museum attraction....not so?

the highlight for my visit was the Lorraine Hotel too.  Kind of odd...but you see the pictures of the balcony all your life and then one day....you are right there.  to stand there in person and see it, there is something very surreal about it.

637518[/snapback]