We should trade EM now while he still has value.

if we traded him the team we traded him to would have a huge cap hit.

he wont be traded even though he can still be a #1 for a team.

if we decide to let him go, we will cut him. i jsut hope we can keep him some how. i dont like the idea of evens being the #1 guy just yet.

637388[/snapback]

Or his new team restructures his contract so its not such a huge cap hit if they add a couple more years to it.

Or his new team restructures his contract so its not such a huge cap hit if they add a couple more years to it.

637498[/snapback]

its still gunna cost them a lot even if they resturcture. if it was that easy to drop his cap hit, i would hope that we would do it.

i see it far more likly that if a team is interested, they will wait untill we have cut him and then pick him up as a FA.

why trade draft picks for a old WR who has a huge cap hit, when you can wait for the team to cut him and get him for less?

its still gunna cost them a lot even if they resturcture. if it was that easy to drop his cap hit, i would hope that we would do it.

i see it far more likly that if a team is interested, they will wait untill we have cut him and then pick him up as a FA.

why trade draft picks for a old WR who has a huge cap hit, when you can wait for the team to cut him and get him for less?

637588[/snapback]

You cannot drop his cap hit wihout him signing off on a new contract or on converting a particular type of bonus to a different type. Moulds has repeatedly refused to help that way this offseason.

I posted this yesterday in a different thread, and I still believe it: The best way to deal with Moulds right now is to tell him he is going to be a Buffalo Bill until the end of his current contract (through 2007, I believe), unless he can go out and find a suitable trade partner. That would force him to do the leg work first off, but, more importantly, it would force him to work a new contract with the new team. Bonus hits don't transfer with trades. I am pretty sure this would work out well for all involved. The Bills would get a pick or a player for Moulds, Moulds would get to sort of pick his new team, and the new team would get a good WR with a mch friendlier contract than the Bills are holding now. In fact, this is about the only way I'd have it if I were Marv Levy.

637588[/snapback]

The problem is for a contender he probably would be willing ot take a pay cut, just not with Buffalo.

Teams are probably salivating right now waiting for him to get cut, but the Bills have made no indecation they are even thinking about it (only the media has). The Bills are currently trying to keep him and I have a feeling this could end up where the Bills will keep him until a suitable deal is made.

It's inevitably. Revel in it and embrace it. This is a GREAT turn of events for us. Moulds, and everybody else is not around forever. Enjoy the memories and look towards the future. Hopefully, and I think he will, Marv & Co. make the right moves with the compensation that we get from trading Moulds.

The notion that trading Moulds will be difficult or impossible because we have hinted at cutting him is simply not correct. As Astrobot points out above, all it takes is more than one team to be interested and then it will become important to be sure YOUR team is the one who gets him, and that you do not have to get into a bidding war for him as a free agent with the other interested teams. That has significant value.

Moreover, the notion that his cap hit will be too large for some team is also overblown. The reality is, his cap hit for the trading team will be considerably less than it is for us. They will only have to take a cap hit for his salary due, while we are still absorbing the amortization of his signing bonuses as well. Moreover, Eric will be more than happy to take a chunk of the last two years of his contract as a bonus, or in fact even add a year or two over which to amortize that bonus conversion, and a new team will be only too happy to oblige him on that. Indeed, he may even be willing to take a small cut for a more competitive team.

It will be nothing for a new team to trim his cap hit to them into a reasonable $4-5 Million range even while paying him over the next two years at least close to what he has coming from the Bills. How much is his value in terms of draft choices or other players is hard to tell. It will depend upon many factors, but by permitting him to go out and seek a trade, the market will provide that indication very quickly.

This is quite similar to the Peerless Price situation a few off-seasons ago. Even though teams knew we weren't going to keep Peerless around at the Franchise Tag salary, they also were competing with each other and that caused Atlanta to let fly with a nice draft choice. Of course, Eric will not command a first round draft choice, but we should get some decent comp for him plus the cap space. He will be very attractive to a number of teams with cap space avaialble and the need for a strong wide receiver, even if on the decline.

And even though I have always been an EM fan, it is time let his complaining, it's all about me arse go. This team needs a new infusion of eadership, which EM was not providing the past few years in my opinion.

And even though I have always been an EM fan, it is time let his complaining, it's all about me arse go.  This team needs a new infusion of eadership, which EM was not providing the past few years in my opinion.

638363[/snapback]

I read his agent's quote "But if not, we're back to Square 1 and Eric won't play for the Bills. He doesn't want to play for them, and he will not play for them."' and really lost it. I have always been an EM supporter and wanted the Bills to keep him even after his (rumored) behavior last season. After reading this and his earlier request to be let go, I just want him gone. Gone from the team, gone from this city, gone from our collective memories. Scr*w him. He was good in the past but hasn't been recently. No way Marv keeps this kind of a player no matter their histories together. I also wish he goes to a team and sucks a$$ big time and retires as a nobody. No apologies for the vitriol.