Ngata: Soft and Big or Powerful and Big?

Shamrock

http://s13.invisionfree.com/WOMag/index.php?showtopic=14

I know he's a footballer first, however a Clean and Jerk of 172.5kg at a bodyweight of 158.80kg isn't very good. This was in June 2005 as well. The Snatch was even worse, only 130kg. Seriously, these aren't great numbers for a 21 year old of his size and touted as an NFL caliber inside tackle, high 1st round- maybe to Buffalo. I hope someone's got some "powerlifting" totals for him that show some heavy Squat, Bench and Deadlift results. There is a chance that these "Olympic" lifts can be counted as someone with poor technique or who is too slow, lacking power rather than the lack of functional strength. I do credit him though for at least competing in weightlifting. From this though, I'd be concerned that he was just a Big kid who lacks dominating power... :doh:

I know he's a footballer first, however a Clean and Jerk of 172.5kg at a bodyweight of 158.80kg isn't very good. This was in June 2005 as well. The Snatch was even worse, only 130kg. Seriously, these aren't great numbers for a 21 year old of his size and touted as an NFL caliber inside tackle, high 1st round- maybe to Buffalo. I hope someone's got some "powerlifting" totals for him that show some heavy Squat, Bench and Deadlift results. There is a chance that these "Olympic" lifts can be counted as someone with poor technique or who is too slow, lacking power rather than the lack of functional strength. I do credit him though for at least competing in weightlifting. From this though, I'd be concerned that he was just a Big kid who lacks dominating power... :doh:

635703[/snapback]

i gotta be honest here, i wasnt thinking football when i saw the title said 130kg snatch, i looked again and saw something about cleaning and jerking, and i figured i should just stay away from this post lol

And just how, exactly does the avocation of technique-dependent power lifting relate to playing DT in the NFL? Maybe it's a hobby for him and he didn't want to risk popping a ganube for the chance to win a sweet shiny 2 ft. trophy and ruin his chance to sign a $20 million rookie contract after a great Senior year.

Of course, he should at all times be a cinderblock-eating he-man macho-motherflocker just to prove to the white shirt newspaper readers and tee shirt wearing blog readers that he is King Focking Montezuma and he can lift more tomatoes than anyone else in the realm! Wow! How Kuel!!!

Hey, his snatch is 42.5 kilos lighter than what he can clean and jerk.

Doesn't sound like a homo to me.

Hey Marv, he's a power snifter. I've heard of him. Get er dunn.

635703[/snapback]

Not sure that these skill mean squat (excuse the pun) for F-ball strgth. Most of a linemans power comes from his lower body. Although I'll be the first to say i'm not an expert in the area.

635703[/snapback]

And what exactly are good numbers for a very good football playing defensive tackle? By this calculation Lief Larson was a pro-bowler.

I think Ed Reed had one (1) rep at safety but is a feared hitter and can bring down anyone. Why?

This is why the combine cracks me up. It's like saying someone should be a good salesman because they "test" well. Ridiculous.

There are "ranger rick's" in golf who hit a great bucket of balls and then proceed to shoot a 125. How come weightlifters just don't play football. Or how come the tallest players aren't the best centers? How come the fastest players aren't always the best recivers? You can be brillant and have a great arm but be a terrible QB.

Strength or speed are just one or two of no less than 25 factors that determine a good player.

i look at this as a big positive.

he can put nearly 400 pounds overhead in competition, not in sloppy gym lifts or half bench reps.

the fact that he is only 21, has competed and is a top 25 us SHW weightlifter.

his numbers aren't good for a full time weightlifter, but he is much taller than most weightlifters and puts in a TON more work in non weightlifting activity.

i'd bet your average elite level Super heavy weight lifter couldn't go through ngata's regular running, technique and drill work, let alone his practices.

the coaching for weightlifting in the US is terrible. the top guy hammond is credited with the world record IPF squat (the strictest international power lifting federation), the number 2 guy casey is the son of who many consider the best US weightlifting coach (one of very few quality coaches in the states, by international standards anyhow) and has been a competitive lifter since he was a kid.

you'll notice a massive falloff in totals after those two.

for a guy who is a fulltime student and football player (one of the best players in the country at that), messing around with weightlifting and competing is a strong positive.

i'd bet with some really focussed work and quality coaching ngata could get up to the 160 - 210 range in less than a year.

I know he's a footballer first, however a Clean and Jerk of 172.5kg at a bodyweight of 158.80kg isn't very good. This was in June 2005 as well. The Snatch was even worse, only 130kg. Seriously, these aren't great numbers for a 21 year old of his size and touted as an NFL caliber inside tackle, high 1st round- maybe to Buffalo. I hope someone's got some "powerlifting" totals for him that show some heavy Squat, Bench and Deadlift results. There is a chance that these "Olympic" lifts can be counted as someone with poor technique or who is too slow, lacking power rather than the lack of functional strength. I do credit him though for at least competing in weightlifting. From this though, I'd be concerned that he was just a Big kid who lacks dominating power... ;)

635703[/snapback]

What the hell sites are you visiting where you found a "clean and jerk" involving a 350 pound plus samoan? man, and a snatch that was even wrose? ;)

There are "ranger rick's" in golf who hit a great bucket of balls and then proceed to shoot a 125.  How come weightlifters just don't play football.  Or how come the tallest players aren't the best centers?  How come the fastest players aren't always the best recivers?  You can be brillant and have a great arm but be a terrible QB.

635840[/snapback]

What do ya gotta make fun of my golf skills for??? :devil::)

I think the combine is nothing more than a place for coaches and scouts to network and gossip, while keeping meticulous records of activities that don't have much to do with football. They're really nothing more that statistical justifications for the owners, who are going to be ponying up large $$ and want some kind of "proof" that drafting them will pan out.

As far as Ngata......put him in an NFL weightroom for a season and he'll get a lot stronger. Plus, he'll be weight training for the one activity that matters...football.