What one rule change would you like in the NFL?

DPR4444

What one rule change would you most like to see implemented in the NFL?

The one thing I’d like to change is defensive player stalling, keeping a tackled offensive player down, unpiling slowly, kicking the ball [oops, Fletcher] and generally trying to kill time when the offensive team is in its two-minute offense. I think the officials should “pause” the clock until the ball is spotted at the new line of scrimmage, then immediately re-start the clock once the ball is spotted.

Personally, I don't like the Pass Interference penalty.  I think its too harsh.  They should go with a 15 yard penalty and automatic first down.

46632[/snapback]

I'd bring back the bump and run. I like your idea about changing the penalty for PI, but I'd have to think a bit how it would affect the so-called "Hail Mary" pass.

Personally, I don't like the Pass Interference penalty.  I think its too harsh.  They should go with a 15 yard penalty and automatic first down.

46632[/snapback]

If they changed this to a 15 yard penalty then wouldn't receivers get absolutely manhandled past 15 yards? If I was a CB, I'd friggen deck the guy if I knew that I could prevent a big play.

I dont like that a pass is considered complete if the receiver was "pushed out" by the defender.  To me, thats playing defense and the play should be ruled out of bounds.

46700[/snapback]

Thats the funniest god damn picture I have seen in a while (mind you a sad one) in your profile!

I don't like the having to maintain possession even after you caught it and went out of bounds rule. I see so many what I call good catches turned over by the replay because the player slightly juggled the ball once he hit out of bounds. It just drives me nuts.

The salary cap.  I'd like to give teams 4 or 5 exemptions to keep drafted players they have developed.

46842[/snapback]

I like that idea. I really hate when a team drafts someone who needs alot of work, only to lose them just as they are becoming what the team that drafted them thought they would be.

If they changed this to a 15 yard penalty then wouldn't receivers get absolutely manhandled past 15 yards? If I was a CB, I'd friggen deck the guy if I knew that I could prevent a big play.

46658[/snapback]

Doesn't happen in college. Heck, "some" DB's arent' even smart enough to bat down a pass on 4th&16. Umm, lets just move on.

I hate when there's a minute left in the game and a WR fights&claws his way out of bounds, and the refs rule that his forward progress was stopped in bounds, so the keep running the clock. WTF? It should be the defender's job to keep him in bounds.

The "I'm knocked out but the play is dead because my helmet is out of bounds and the ball is touching my leg" rule we saw against NE is about the dumbest rule in the history of sports, if it is a rule.

The salary cap.  I'd like to give teams 4 or 5 exemptions to keep drafted players they have developed.

This is the solution too all of baseballs problems. A salary cap with this rule. i have been saying it for years. It would bring back dynasty players (i.e. players spending entire career on one team).

This is the solution too all of baseballs problems.  A salary cap with this rule.  i have been saying it for years.  It would bring back dynasty players (i.e. players spending entire career on one team).

46871[/snapback]

Baseball is a little harder to fix because the TV money is so strewn about. The teams with the highest payrolls tend to have the best TV deals (no surprise).

Baseball probably needs to contract back to 24-26 teams before it does anything else.

46632[/snapback]

I'll second this sentiment. It is way to harsh. 50 or 60 yard penalties can change the game. Same for blocking in the back on a KO return. Should be a 10 or 15 yard penalty from the new LOS.

I'll second this sentiment. It is way to harsh. 50 or 60 yard penalties can change the game. Same for blocking in the back on a KO return. Should be a 10 or 15 yard penalty from the new LOS.

46925[/snapback]

It is a 10 yard penelty from the spot of the foul... Why isn't that fair?

I hate when there's a minute left in the game and a WR fights&claws his way out of bounds, and the refs rule that his forward progress was stopped in bounds, so the keep running the clock. WTF? It should be the defender's job to keep him in bounds.

But the defender DOES keep the receiver in bounds if he pushes the receiver backwards... I don't have a problem with that rule (although it takes awhile to get the hang of marking the ball when you're on the sidelines; ask any official and they'll say forward progress is the hardest thing for a new official to learn).

CW