NHRA Anyone?

Are there any other NHRA fans here?

If so, who's the driver you follow?

I never understood it, until 2000, where the team manager for Del Worsham's team, Bob Wilbur, invited me to the races at Infenion Raceway, Sonoma County, Bay Area. (It was a Rush thing. Bob and I tried to have a Rush funny car, but the band didn't go for it.) I've been back every year since.

NHRA is one of those things where it doesn't look exciting on TV, but when you're at the track, seeing these machines up close, getting blasted by tiny particles of rubber from the tires, the roar of the engines, it's probably the most intense 5 seconds in any kind of sport!

Top Fuel I'm following Melanie Troxel this year. My prediction is that she will win the PowerAide Championship! Funny car, Del and CSK teammate, Phil Burkart. Pro Stock, not really that into it, because most NHRA followers know that Greg Anderson has a lock on that division. Bike, Angele Sampey is HOT!!! And Karen Stouffer coming back from having a 500 lb. door fall on her last November is amazing!!!

I'm not really a fan at all, and know pretty much nothing about it.....but I think drag racing is TONS more interesting than friggin NASCAR.

Absolutely love it, but rarely have time for it...my dad and I used to hit up Spring Nationals in Columbus, OH (National Trails Raceway) every Fathers Day, but haven't the last several.

My favorite memory was working the pit crew for a Comp Eliminator team at the 2000 US Nationals in Indy...nothing quite like having a pit pass and being near the starting line for a night qualifier!

My favorite driver used to be Scotty Cannon when he drove for Oakley. Not sure who anymore...

BIG fan here. The Gatornationals were great today.

Go the E-town every June for at least one day. Glad to see The Queen is back in racing and Im dying to score her autograph this year. Otherwise, my fave drivers are Angelle, Dixon, Force and WJ. Pro Stock is my favorite class, but Im down with everything from the bracket racing to the Nitro cars. I love it all.

And there is NOTHING like being at the track and getting a close seat for the Fuel cars!!!

Yep - but a long time ago, from the days of flatheads, Willys and Anglias.

The stock classes were appealing in the '50's and 60's - Chevy 409's and 283's, MoPar 361 Hemi's and 413 Wedges, Ford 390's and 406's. Pontiac 389's etc. The competition in A, B, C, and D Stock was intense. The factories made available special dragstrip models for purchase by the general public, too.

A lot of "run what ya brung" stuff. I remember inline 6 cyl rails, and my favorite class... AA/FA - 80 inch wheelebase '32 Fords with blown nitro 427's. :doh:

I remember the beginnings of the Funny Cars, and the wheelstander show cars like Hemi Under Glass and the Little Red Wagon, and TV Tommie Ivo's 4-Engine Buick dragster.

Hopping up a Honda is just not the same... :lol::lol:

Back in my gearhead days I used to love watching the big Mopar vs. Chevy duels - especially Ronnie Sox-Grumpy Jenkins ProStock showdowns. Always was a fan of Big Daddy Don Garlits, too.

These days, I prefer racing where the drivers occasionally have to turn the steering wheel. ;)

Back in my gearhead days I used to love watching the big Mopar vs. Chevy duels - especially Ronnie Sox-Grumpy Jenkins ProStock showdowns.  Always was a fan of Big Daddy Don Garlits, too.

These days, I prefer racing where the drivers occasionally have to turn the steering wheel.  ;)

635985[/snapback]

For me, Nascar has lost its luster years ago. It is so much a money/commercial extravaganza, a high-speed parking lot with many more entrants than needed - it has a sort of studio wrestling flavor to me.

Most of all, the connection between "stock" cars and what one could buy and drive on the street is long gone.

In the days of yore, the merits and falults of the cars were talked about, but now it's the "star" power of the drivers, and money-money-money. I wouldn't be surprised if they have corporate logos tatooed on their testicles. It's so phony - calling over radios to block this one or that.

Oh well...Roller Derby had to come back sooner or later. ;)

SCAA is still interesting.

Back in my gearhead days I used to love watching the big Mopar vs. Chevy duels - especially Ronnie Sox-Grumpy Jenkins ProStock showdowns.  Always was a fan of Big Daddy Don Garlits, too.

These days, I prefer racing where the drivers occasionally have to turn the steering wheel.  ;)

635985[/snapback]

This is why Pro Stock remains my favorite class. A lot of what you see is still backed by technology provided direct from the manufacturers. Its still Chevy vs. Ford vs. Mopar. A lot of it is still cobbled together by the drivers and their local speed shops, too. When MOPAR got back into PS a few years back with Cokehead Alderman and Geffrion, they were pulling old Hemi big blocks out of junk cars and working them for racing.

Plus, its more consistent racing. The Fuel cars are intense, but its rare you get through a whole round without at least one delay due to dropped cylinders, blower explosions, etc.

For me, Nascar has lost its luster years ago.  It is so much a money/commercial extravaganza, a high-speed parking lot with many more entrants than needed - it has a sort of studio wrestling flavor to me.

Most of all, the connection between "stock" cars and what one could buy and drive on the street is long gone.

In the days of yore, the merits and falults of the cars were talked about, but now it's the "star" power of the drivers, and money-money-money. I wouldn't be surprised if they have corporate logos tatooed on their testicles. It's so phony - calling over radios to block this one or that.

Oh well...Roller Derby had to come back sooner or later. ;)

SCAA is still interesting.

636013[/snapback]

Yeah, I wasn't referring to NASCAR, though. Remember when they actually were cars you could buy at a dealership? (The Daytona Charger or Plymouth Superbird?) When Richard Petty was so dominant that NASCAR banned the 426 hemi? These days its all about making the cars equal, and watching the drivers brawl. Take the fenders off and then see how much 'bumping' they do!

Gimme open wheel Fomula One or IRL any day over NASCAR.

Yeah, I wasn't referring to NASCAR, though.  Remember when they actually were cars you could buy at a dealership?  (The Daytona Charger or Plymouth Superbird?)  When Richard Petty was so dominant that NASCAR banned the 426 hemi?  These days its all about making the cars equal, and watching the drivers brawl.  Take the fenders off and then see how much 'bumping' they do!

636037[/snapback]

Ever watch sprints or midgets?

Yeah, I wasn't referring to NASCAR, though.  Remember when they actually were cars you could buy at a dealership?  (The Daytona Charger or Plymouth Superbird?)  When Richard Petty was so dominant that NASCAR banned the 426 hemi?  These days its all about making the cars equal, and watching the drivers brawl.  Take the fenders off and then see how much 'bumping' they do!

636037[/snapback]

The Hemi wasn't banned. When Chrysler offered it again in production vehicles, it was allowed. Ford had the tunnel-port 427 - very competitive, and then came out with the SOHC 427. That was the banned engine, even though it was a factory option for a Galaxie, in response to MoPar's Superbird thing. GM was a non-player.

No longer able to use their overhead-cam hemi, Ford developed the '70 Boss 429 pushrod mill. The intake ports were large enough to pass a baseball. It was a remarkable cyilnder head, with enough oomph to overcome the winged Mopar vehicle.

Edited by stuckincincy

Are there any other NHRA fans here?

635640[/snapback]

I try to get in one National Event each year. Went to the Gators in 2005, plan on going to Indy again this year.

You're right, drag racing has to be the least telegenic motorsport ever created. But nothing compares to the sight, sound and feel of nitro racing under the lights. I've never met anyone who didn't become a fan after seeing a 330 MPH side-by-side blast after dark.

My picks for '06 are The Sarge in TF (can't beat that Alan Johnson horsepower!), Robert Hight in FC and Greg Anderson in PS. The IHRA should be interesting too, now that fuel funny cars are back.

Last year I went to my first nite race, and Del set a new track speed record at Infineon, 324mph.

I'd say that Force is a man on a mission this year! He is taking a take-no-prisoners approach. What happened at Pomona last year, really still has him in a fit!

Here's Del with the Classic Blue Max! (He made a replica of it last year, and has brought it out to a few races, dry hops and all!)

http://www.delworsham.com/2005/dallas/index.htm

Last year I went to my first nite race, and Del set a new track speed record at Infineon, 324mph. 

I'd say that Force is a man on a mission this year!  He is taking a take-no-prisoners approach.  What happened at Pomona last year, really still has him in a fit! 

Here's Del with the Classic Blue Max! (He made a replica of it last year, and has brought it out to a few races, dry hops and all!)

636960[/snapback]

Del and his family have to be some of the nicest people in drag racing. He's a great driver (probably the best reaction time in FC) who I always root for. But it's hard for a family operation to compete with the cubic $$$ Force and Shumacher can throw at their teams.

I'd say that Force is a man on a mission this year!  He is taking a take-no-prisoners approach.  What happened at Pomona last year, really still has him in a fit! 

636960[/snapback]

Not for nothing, but IMO, Force has that "look" year after year. In the pits, and at the line, there is NO crew more intense than his. When Force lost in the finals in FL on Sunday, Austin Coil looked like he was going to kill someone...like he cannot imagine NOT winning. He cant fathom it. And he has that look whenever Force goes down. OTOH, its what makes Force so much FUN to watch. The man will break traction at the 60 foot mark and peddle than frickin' Ford all the way down the track until he finally gets the other man, sees the win-light in the other lane or he blows the engine sky- high. He NEVER gives in. Ever.

Force fuggin rules.

Not for nothing, but IMO, Force has that "look" year after year. In the pits, and at the line, there is NO crew more intense than his. When Force lost in the finals in FL on Sunday, Austin Coil looked like he was going to kill someone...like he cannot imagine NOT winning. He cant fathom it. And he has that look whenever Force goes down. OTOH, its what makes Force so much FUN to watch. The man will break traction at the 60 foot mark and peddle than frickin' Ford all the way down the track until he finally gets the other man, sees the win-light in the other lane or he blows the engine sky- high. He NEVER gives in. Ever.

Force fuggin rules.

637073[/snapback]

What race was it last year, when they couldn't even get the car fired up in the pit? They brought it to the line, and they did a burnout, but the other driver, Capps I think, red lighted, and they went on. That was Team Force at it's bet, IMHO.

What race was it last year, when they couldn't even get the car fired up in the pit?  They brought it to the line, and they did a burnout, but the other driver, Capps I think, red lighted, and they went on.  That was Team Force at it's bet, IMHO.

637084[/snapback]

Absolutely.

Its what makes Force so awesome. They are as "big money" as you can get, but still run that team and drive that car like they are running a street Camaro at a local Chevy meet out in the sticks.