Good News and bad news

Jets | Team looking for ammunition to trade up

Sun, 19 Mar 2006 07:26:42 -0800

Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports the New York Jets are reportedly looking for ammunition, by trading DE John Abraham, to move up to the No. 2 slot in the April NFL Draft. They team wants to draft USC QB Matt Leinart.

from kffl.com

Jets are looking to trade up and draft Matt Leinart, despite their signing of QB Patrick Ramsey. This is good, because say the Jets remained at 4th overall, and Leinart GONE, Cutler or even Young could be GONE. Now knowing that Texans will take Reggie, they will grab Matt, Titans will take Vince, but o yea, the big ? is what does NO do here????? D'Brickashaw or AJ??????

Or if they trade back to 4 and the Jets do indeed take ML and Tenn takes VY. Either way, I think Mario is a Saint.

635430[/snapback]

Not if the trade involves Abraham. In that case, they would probably lean toward Hawk.

Not if the trade involves Abraham.  In that case, they would probably lean toward Hawk.

635434[/snapback]

Ah, good call. Yes -- but I can't imagine the Saints trading for Abraham when they can get Mario at 2 (or 4). Sure, Abraham is more "proven", but he also has attitude problems and perhaps doesn't have the upside of a player like Mario (from what I've read -- since I've never actually seen Mario play).

The Saints would be fools to pass-up Ferguson at #4.  Considering all the money they're paying for Brees, it would be the smart move.

635439[/snapback]

Plus with Grant & Smith, they're solid at DE, even with Howard leaving.

Da Brick makes more sense.

Pat Kirwan on Sirius says the Saints have Mario Williams rated #1 on their draft board.

However, if they make a trade with the Jets that gets them John Abraham, they would seemingly not need another pass rusher.

Charles Grant and Will Smith have both been very inconsistent for the Saints since they were drafted....and that's why the Saints are looking at Super Mario.

I would say if the Saints get Abraham in the trade.....the draft would look like this

1) Hou- Bush

2) NYJ- Lienart

3) Ten- Cutler

4) NO- Ferguson

5) GB- Williams

6) SF- Hawk

7) Oak- Young

8) Buf

If the Saints don't get Abraham...but still pull this trade off....that's when things get interesting for Buffalo

1) Hou- Bush

2) NYJ- Leinart

3) Tenn- Cutler ( They want a Qb.......Cutler will have long overtaken Young by this point....and they love Michael Roos at left tackle who they drafted last year...no need for Brick)

4) N.O- Mario Williams ( # 1 on their draft Board according to Kirwan)

5) GB- Hawk- They have 2 solid tackles...and they need all the defensive help they can find. A LB who is a playmaking machine who ran a sub 4.4. at his proday is just what they would be looking for

6) SF- With Hawk off the board...they will look to solidify their secondary. Probably a little too early for Jimmy Williams....but Michael Huff would probably be the guy. They won't take Ferguson....they already have ridiculous money invested in Jonas Jennings from last year....and they like Adam Snyder out of Oregon who they drafted last year.

7) Oak- According to Kirwan again..........Al Davis is enamoured with Vince Young. They also have big money invested in Gallery....and I would be surprised if they took another OT this high.

8) Buf- Da'Brick could fall.

Pat Kirwan on Sirius says the Saints have Mario Williams rated #1 on their draft board.

However, if they make a trade with the Jets that gets them John Abraham, they would seemingly not need another pass rusher.

Charles Grant and Will Smith have both been very inconsistent for the Saints since they were drafted....and that's why the Saints are looking at Super Mario.

I would say if the Saints get Abraham in the trade.....the draft would look like this

1) Hou- Bush

2) NYJ- Lienart

3) Ten- Cutler

4) NO-  Ferguson

5) GB- Williams

6) SF- Hawk

7) Oak- Young

8) Buf

If the Saints don't get Abraham...but still pull this trade off....that's when things get interesting for Buffalo

1) Hou- Bush

2) NYJ- Leinart

3) Tenn- Cutler ( They want a Qb.......Cutler will have long overtaken Young by this point....and they love Michael Roos at left tackle who they drafted last year...no need for Brick)

4) N.O- Mario Williams ( # 1 on their draft Board according to Kirwan)

5) GB- Hawk- They have 2 solid tackles...and they need all the defensive help they can find. A LB who is a playmaking machine who ran a sub 4.4. at his proday is just what they would be looking for

6) SF- With Hawk off the board...they will look to solidify their secondary. Probably a little too early for Jimmy Williams....but Michael Huff would probably be the guy.  They won't take Ferguson....they already have ridiculous money invested in Jonas Jennings from last year....and they like Adam Snyder out of Oregon who they drafted last year.

7) Oak- According to Kirwan again..........Al Davis is enamoured with Vince Young. They also have big money invested in Gallery....and I would be surprised if they took another OT this high.

8) Buf- Da'Brick could fall.

635475[/snapback]

Could happen, but I think if Da Brick falls down as far as SF at #6, someone else puts together a package of draft choices to get him. The Niners may not need an OT, but they've more holes to fill than just about anyone.

Could happen, but I think if Da Brick falls down as far as SF at #6, someone else puts together a package of draft choices to get him. The Niners may not need an OT, but they've more holes to fill than just about anyone.

635482[/snapback]

Thats what i am worried about. i think its realistic that D'Brick could fall to number 8, given the current draft order. But i also think that someone will package some picks and move up into SF's #6 spot for him if he's on the board.

Just my opinion and based on nothing factual but I would think that the Raiders might make a push to move up and grab Lienart at the #2 pick. He' is a California boy and would be great at the gate. The Saints then still could get Mario and if not Ferguson. Could be Preston, Hawk or Huff be a more realistic pick for us?

Thats what i am worried about. i think its realistic that D'Brick could fall to number 8, given the current draft order. But i also think that someone will package some picks and move up into SF's #6 spot for him if he's on the board.

635485[/snapback]

But moving up two spots wouldn't be that bad for the Bills. I would never try to trade to 4...it would cost way too much. But 8 to 6 could be had for one of our 3rd plus another pick next year...maybe another 3rd. It would be reasonable for both teams. San Fran wouldn't lose out on anyone they want (Oak will almost certainly take Young), and Buff gets it's LT for Travis Henry plus a bit more.

I don't give Ferg much thought since there is no way he makes it to 8, but if he is still around at 6 I think it would be a great move.

But moving up two spots wouldn't be that bad for the Bills.  I would never try to trade to 4...it would cost way too much.  But 8 to 6 could be had for one of our 3rd plus another pick next year...maybe another 3rd.  It would be reasonable for both teams.  San Fran wouldn't lose out on anyone they want (Oak will almost certainly take Young), and Buff gets it's LT for Travis Henry plus a bit more.

I don't give Ferg much thought since there is no way he makes it to 8, but if he is still around at 6 I think it would be a great move.

635495[/snapback]

I tihnk that a trade up to #6 could be reasonable, if D'Brick is still there. Based on the draft value chart, there is a 200 point difference between #8 and #6, and our lower 3rd rounder would be enough to satisfy that requirement. But whether or not the 9ers think it would be enough compensation si another story.

San Fran wouldn't lose out on anyone they want (Oak will almost certainly take Young), and Buff gets it's LT for Travis Henry plus a bit more.

635495[/snapback]

Let's see....a franchise LT for a dim witted, drug abusing pervert?

Maybe I could live with that deal. :lol::doh: