ESPN draft guide

My wife just picked it up for me yesterday. With FA going on these are always a bit outdated before they even hit the stands. Mel Kiper has us taking Ngata in the Mock Draft. Like the Sporting News draft guide (which I have not seen out yet) they compare each prospect to an NFL counterpart. Something that made me laugh is they compared their 27 rated OT in the draft Mike Brisiel from Colorado State to Mike Gandy as a 7th ropund prospect (Ouch).

Couple other noted comparisions along with their ESPN positional ranking (take them for what they are worth...nothing)...I tried finding all the Bills comparisions along with the folks at the top.

QB

Leinart -Tom Brady (1)

Cutler- Favre (2)

Young- Vick (3)

RB

Reggie Bush- Marshall Faulk (1)

DeAngelo Williams- LaDainian Tomlinson (2)

LenDale White- Jamal Lewis (3)

WR

Santonio Holmes- Lee Evans (1)

Chad Jackson- Donte Stallworth (2)

Sinorice Moss- Steve Smith (3)

Derek Hagan- Torry Holt (4)

Maurice Stovall- Plaxico Burress (5)

TE

Vernon Davis- Alge Crumpler (1)

Leonard Pope- Jason Witten (2)

Dominique Bird- Randy McMichael (3)

Marcedes Lewis- Tony Gonzales (4)

OT

D'Brickashaw- Walter Jones (1)

Winston Justice- Jordan Gross (2)

Marcus McNeill- Jonathan Ogden (3)

Eric Winston- John Tait (4)

G

Max Jean-Gilles- Shawn Andrews (1)

Taitusi Lutui- Leonard Davis (2)

Rob Sims- Chris Villarial (6)

C

Nick Mangold- Kevin Mawae (1)

Greg Eslinger- Jeff Saturday (2)

DT

Haloti Ngata- Ted Washington (1)

Gabe Watson- Grady Jackson (2)

Claude Wroten- Tommie Harris (3) Must be before they founds the weed becauset they don't mention it at all.

Broderick Bunkley- Rod Coleman (4)

Rodrique Wright- Albert Haynesworth (5)

DE

Mario Williams- Julius Peppers (1)

Mathias Kiwanuka- Jason Taylor (2)

Tamba Hali- James Hall (3)

ILB

D'Qwell Jackson- Mike Peterson (1)

OLB

A.J Hawk- Takeo Spikes (1)

Chad Greenway- Brian Simmons (2)

Demeco Ryans- Daryl Smith (3)

CB

Jimmy Williams- Chris McAlister (1)

Ashton Youboty- Nate Clements (2)

Tye Hill- Fabian Washington (3)

Antonio Cromartie- Charles Woodson (4)

S

Michael Huff- Ed Reed (1)

Darnell Bing- Donovan Darius (2)

Ko Simpson- Greg Wesley (3)

Dawan Landry- Matt Bowen (20) Ouch!

K

Jon Scifres- Sebastian Janikowski (1)

Stephen Gostrowski- Rian Lindell (4)

P

John Torp- Shane Lechler (1)

Vernon Davis- Alge Crumpler (1)

Wouldn't this make more sense?

Vernon Davis- Antonio Gates (1)

635194[/snapback]

I looked to see if anyone was compared to Gates- Nope.

I did miss a Bills comparison- TE Darcy Johnson from Central Florida compared to Tim Euhus as a 7th round prospect.

I agree with you on the Gates analogy but maybe they thought Davis was more well rounded than Gates because of his blocking, or possibly that he is not as good of a receiver as Gates.

There are alot of comparisions in the mag that I would disagree with.

Claude Wroten- Tommie Harris (3) Must be before they founds the weed becauset they don't mention it at all.

635187[/snapback]

Or in their evaluation of finding weed has no baring on a player's ability to play the game. Yes it may drop his draft stock in some circle but others it won't because he was cleared of any wrong doing.

Or in their evaluation of finding weed has no baring on a player's ability to play the game. Yes it may drop his draft stock in some circle but others it won't because he was cleared of any wrong doing.

635220[/snapback]

STERLINGTON, La. (AP) - LSU defensive end Claude Wroten Jr. was arrested on a drug charge after police stopped him for speeding and found marijuana in his car, authorities said Thursday.

Wroten, 22, of Bastrop, was booked late Wednesday for possession of marijuana with intent to distribute and was released on $3,000 bond from the Ouachita Correctional Center.

He was clocked at 77 mph in a 65 mph zone, police Chief Barry Bonner said.

Bonner said Wroten admitted having marijuana for personal consumption. Officers found one bag inside the car in plain view and discovered another tucked in his shoe.

Wroten also had $4,000 in cash, which he said was a loan from his financial adviser to prepare for NFL training, the chief said. Police were unable to immediately contact the adviser, who's name was not released.

With him admitting he had some for personal consumption I would think ESPN would have mentioned it. Although it's pretty ignorant to think that NFL players don't smoke weed.

They talk about character issues with alot of the players... some of the others they do mention are...

Marcus Vick QB VT

Winston Justice OT USC

A.J. Nicholson FSU OLB

Anwar Phillips CB Penn State

Dusty Dvoracek DT Oklahoma

DeMario Minter CB Georgia

Reuben Houston CB Georgia Tech

Plus many others..

Wonder if Marv will take a chance on any of these guys (considering his "high character" desires) or if they will all play for the Cowboys this year?

Plus many others..

Wonder if Marv will take a chance on any of these guys (considering his "high character" desires) or if they will all play for the Cowboys this year?

635232[/snapback]

STERLINGTON, La.  -- Prosecutors have declined to pursue a drug charge against LSU defensive end Claude Wroten Jr., who was arrested by Sterlington police last month after a traffic stop.

Wroten, 22, of Bastrop, was booked Jan. 4 with possession of marijuana with intent to distribute after police stopped him for speeding and found the drug his car, Sterlington police said.

But District Attorney Jerry Jones said Wednesday that his office had declined the case for legal reasons that he would not spell out.

However, Jeff Guerriero, Wroten's attorney, said both the stop and the search in which one officer questioned Wroten while another looked in the vehicle were of questionable legality.

Guerriero said Wroten, who had dropped off friends immediately before the stop, did not own the vehicle he was driving.

Wroten said he now wants to concentrate on football.

"I let my parents, my team, my whole family down," Wroten said. "I shouldn't have even been around it. This is the first time I've ever done something like that, and the last time. I've just got to prove to everyone that I let down that it's not me."

--------------------------------------------------

From an AP story found at ESPN.com.

I'm not saying he did or did not do anything wrong but I would still measure a guy but what he can do on the field. Yes off the field issues should raise a red flag and maybe drop his stock will fall but talent is talent regardless. So if I consider Wroten to be significantly better than other players at his position and I'm looking to take a DT I'd probably take a chance on him but again maybe not as high (pun not intended) as I originally thought.

I would love an Ed Reed type on this team

635236[/snapback]

thats funny, i was arguing in another post about someone saying huff was a reach at the 8th pick, and i said i think of him as an ed reed player, glad to see it doesnt take a genius :doh:

I'm not saying he did or did not do anything wrong but I would still measure a guy but what he can do on the field. Yes off the field issues should raise a red flag and maybe drop his stock will fall but talent is talent regardless. So if I consider Wroten to be significantly better than other players at his position and I'm looking to take a DT I'd probably take a chance on him but again maybe not as high (pun not intended) as I originally thought.

635247[/snapback]

If that is all Wroten has done (nothing else bad in his past), I'd say a he is worth a 2nd round pick...if he's still there. Guy has talent.