The ONLY reason Moulds should be cut is...

What is the Cap hit for 07?  I believe it is nominal...

634377[/snapback]

It cannot be nominal. His entire 07 salary (which was what, 7.1 this year?) already counts toward the 07 cap, as does his pro-rated bonus. If he is cut now, there are no 07 obligations. None at all.

That said, we do need Clumpy here.

It cannot be nominal. His entire 07 salary (which was what, 7.1 this year?) already counts toward the 07 cap, as does his pro-rated bonus. If he is cut now, there are no 07 obligations. None at all.

That said, we do need Clumpy here.

634380[/snapback]

Moulds has $7 mil of dead money that needs to hit the cap. The Bills can elect to take half of it in 2006 if he is cut in 2006 or traded after June 1.

If he plays in 2006, he counts another $7 mil against the cap.

Makes sense for the Bills to cut him and push part of teh dead money to 2007 when the already scheduled cap increase will cover it.

Saved money will cover the increase on the franchise cap for Nate.

Moulds has $7 mil of dead money that needs to hit the cap. The Bills can elect to take half of it in 2006 if he is cut in 2006 or traded after June 1.

Makes sense for the Bills to cut him and push part of teh dead money to 2007 when the already scheduled cap increase will cover it.

634415[/snapback]

Moulds doesn't want to be here. Get use to it. It's going to be a common theme with the vertern palyers on this team. Moulds want to have a chance to win. I have no doubt he plans to take less money and go to a team like the Pats or Eagles. And don't count the Dolphins out. Chambers and Moulds would give the Fins the best wide out corp in the NFL.

Which is exactly why we don't release him Sleeping Beauty. We don't need him landing with the Pats or Fins. Trading him for even a low round pick to ensure this is the thing to do. If nobody is willing to do this, he stays, like it or not.

634415[/snapback]

Not really. His is owed about 10.8 mil this year on the cap, and I think just under 9 mil in 07. If we cut him now we save 5.5 mil and then we are done. We owe nothing for 07.

That 10.8 mil comes from 6 salary + 1.1 mil roster/workout bonus + 2 mil flat from his first big contract bonus five years ago + 1.7 mil from his restructured bonus two years ago.

We have to pay the 2 mil bonus this year, it cannot be spread out. If we cut him we don't have to pay the 6 mil salary or 1 mil bonus but we do have to pay the extra 1.7 restructured bonus due next year. So 10.8 mil - 7.1 + 1.7 = 5.4 (the numbers are off by .1 because I was rounding them off.)

We could save 1.7 more this year and add the 1.7 to next years cap in dead money under the new June 1 rule I suppose but we don't need to. If we keep him this year, and cut him next year, we save 7.3 salary on the cap in 07 minus the 1.7 bonus still owed, so we would save approximately 5.6 mil on the 07 cap. If we cut him now, we save 9 mil on the cap for 07.