ya know...this makes me mad

Sure its only been about 5 days of FA, yet all the good players are signing. But the thing that gets me is reading NFL news and all the visits every team is having with players. The bills have only had a total of 5 visits so far while other teams are having ALOT!!! I dont mean to whine but c'mon when are we gonna get some good qaulity visitors in??? We need people like Jason Fabini, Jon Runyan ect. Where are the bills Drew Brees, or Kevin Bently, high-ranked veteran play-making studs!!!!

I am sure Mr. Levy has some tricks up his sleeve but im starting to get a little worried here, we have major holes that still need to be filled and im not even seeing efforts made here. We need top veteran play-makers, not just rookies to adress the issues in the draft!!!!

C'mon Marv!!!!

GO BIlls!!!!!

Did you ever consider that the visitors we've brought in have been so Earth-Shaking, mind-blowing, team-saving, franchise-making, kick-ass, season-tickets-selling blockbuster legends that maybe, JUST MAYBE, to announce them would make every other team in the AFC quit and ruin our chance at a dynasty?!

Think about it... What else COULD it be?

Funny when I bitched about the Bills not addressing the oline a couple few days ago people flamed me. "It's only the second day relax". Truth of the matter is, there's a major problem there that hasn't been touched. Reggie Wells, hmmm.. That's great and believe me I would be happy even if they were bringing in numerous amount of ol in for interviewing, but they're not. And that's why some of us tend to rant, we have a right to.

without a major OL overhaul any chance of a 2006 season being better then 2005 is slim to none.

No drafted OL will be capable of making that much of a difference in our OL. A high draft pick spent on OL would only be beneficial in 2006 if it is accompanied by one of the premiere OL in FA IMO. There is slim pickins left in the FA OL tank and the DT tank which leaves us looking just like the team we come to despise the last few years.

IMO the Bills have settled into a 3-4 year re-building plan yet again.

For me I won't B word about a signing, any signing; but I will admit that I am getting a wee bit concerned about the lack of O-linemen being brought in to Buffalo. This team will NOT improve in 2006 unless we improve the O and D lines. Looking at the lines (not including TE) and if we take what we have done so far, we have added one quality D lineman, and zero O linemen. Assuming thats all we add on the D-line in free agerncy then it would seem that the only impact "need" player that might be availabel to us is Ngata, another D-lineman. So now what we draft a O-lineman in the 2nd? This most likely will not help us in 2006. Marv needs to sing at least two more quality impact free agent linemen, with at least one being on the O side. I know, I know this is all pretty obvious to us, but I really am starting to wonder if it is this obvious at One Bille Drive.

We will build the offensive line through the draft as every other team in the league does.

We'll draft them, we will play them this year and hopefully we can build a foundation for years to come.

They targeted Reggie Wells because he's young and improving (Cardinals said they'll match any offer we make)

Neal is 30 years old (in two years he's the next Villarial)

Fabini is 31 years old (why would the Jets realease a LT?, can he still play?, doubtful)

Runyan is 33 years old (John Fina all over again but on the right side)

You see the trend, you sign these guys for a year of two for them to help you get over the top. They would help us get over a 6-10 record.

I'd rather play a guy in his second year if not a rookie, no more patchwork OL for me I want a core of young players to build on.

If you sign guys like Fabini or Runyan, sign them for depth not to start.

Marv needs to sing at least two more quality impact free agent linemen, with at least one being on the O side.  I know, I know this is all pretty obvious to us, but I really am starting to wonder if it is this obvious at One Bille Drive.

631692[/snapback]

This question sums up a lot of the discussion on this board. Without criticizing anyone in particular (and certainly not 30 dive) I want to ask the board: Do you really think that Marv and the brain trust do not know that the O and D lines are important? Many posters want to suggest this, and I find that hard to believe, based both on the statements from Marv and generally because I do not think a single football-related thought expressed on this board (including this one) has not already been thought and thought by football professionals already.

I am not preaching blind allegiance to the OBD brain trust, but really, does anyone actually believe that the reason the O-line has had problems is because no one has wanted to do anything about it? Could it be rather that building an O-line is not as easy as signing every available free agent, or even by drafting an O-lineman in every round? Look at the great O-lines in the league over the years; they are collected from a variety of big-name draftees, no-name late rounders, the occasional free agent (street or big name), mixed with intangibles such as good coaching and good fortune. Even with the most advanced scouting, there is no way to predict the future, which is why they play the games. Take a look at the line that protected Jim Kelly, for example, and tell me that it was obvious that every one of those guys was going to be great...

My point? That every fan is entitled to be either gloomy or happy, but it is a waste of time and brain cells to assume that anyone on this board possesses the philosopher's stone, or that the people in the front office are somehow missing an obvious football truth.

We will build the offensive line through the draft as every other team in the league does.

We'll draft them, we will play them this year and hopefully we can build a foundation for years to come.

They targeted Reggie Wells because he's young and improving (Cardinals said they'll match any offer we make)

Fabini is 31 years old (why would the Jets realease a LT?, can he still play?, doubtful)

You see the trend, you sign these guys for a year of two for them to help you get over the top. They would help us get over a 6-10 record.

I'd rather play a guy in his second year if not a rookie, no more patchwork OL for me I want a core of young players to build on.

631710[/snapback]

The problem is that in two years, Losman will be a battered rag-doll, McGahee will be gone after averaging 3.5 ypc and Lee Evans will be considered a disappointment because none of the QB's will have had time to get him the ball.

They really don't have the luxury of re-building the OL with rookies unless they are planning on re-tooling the entire team immediately afterward. You are proposing a 5 year plan, and no team should get into such a predicament in the current NFL, where you can turn around a team in a hurry. Preferably, the Bills should have sacked up for a Pro Bowl interior player like Bentley or Hutchinson to the tune of $7M per season, but it didn't happen, so they really need to patch this line together with some steady vets THEN draft some young OL this spring and break them in SLOWLY.

The problem is that in two years, Losman will be a battered rag-doll, McGahee will be gone after averaging 3.5 ypc and Lee Evans will be considered a disappointment because none of the QB's will have had time to get him the ball.

They really don't have the luxury of re-building the OL with rookies unless they are planning on re-tooling the entire team immediately afterward.  You are proposing a 5 year plan, and no team should get into such a predicament in the current NFL, where you can turn around a team in a hurry.  Preferably, the Bills should have sacked up for a Pro Bowl interior player like Bentley or Hutchinson to the tune of $7M per season, but it didn't happen, so they really need to patch this line together with some steady vets THEN draft some young OL this spring and break them in SLOWLY.

631732[/snapback]

Would you classify Fabini (if healthy) as a "steady vet?"

631710[/snapback]

I know that times change, but the Colts did as you suggest. In 1997, they selected OTs Glenn and Meadows as their first 2 selections. I'm not sure, but I think that Harbaugh was still there at qb.

The following year they drafted Manning, and a guard with the first pick of the 4th round, who started every game. I don't know if the Bills can do something like this, but it did work for the Colts.

They really don't have the luxury of re-building the OL with rookies unless they are planning on re-tooling the entire team immediately afterward.  You are proposing a 5 year plan, and no team should get into such a predicament in the current NFL, where you can turn around a team in a hurry.  Preferably, the Bills should have sacked up for a Pro Bowl interior player like Bentley or Hutchinson to the tune of $7M per season, but it didn't happen, so they really need to patch this line together with some steady vets THEN draft some young OL this spring and break them in SLOWLY.

631732[/snapback]

I'm not saying put an all out rookie OL but you can play at least two rookies in your starting line-up

Dan Buenning (4th round) started at LG for the Buccaners and they went to the playoffs

Rob Pettiti (6th round) started at RT for Dallas with the difficult task of protecting the Drewster.

Logan Mankins (1st round) started for the Patsies.

It can be done and be succesful, someday you have to focus on the most important problem this team have had for over a decade and fix it and the only way to do it iMO is via draft.

This question sums up a lot of the discussion on this board. Without criticizing anyone in particular (and certainly not 30 dive) I want to ask the board: Do you really think that Marv and the brain trust do not know that the O and D lines are important? Many posters want to suggest this, and I find that hard to believe, based both on the statements from Marv and generally because I do not think a single football-related thought expressed on this board (including this one) has not already been thought and thought by football professionals already.

I am not preaching blind allegiance to the OBD brain trust, but really, does anyone actually believe that the reason the O-line has had problems is because no one has wanted to do anything about it? Could it be rather that building an O-line is not as easy as signing every available free agent, or even by drafting an O-lineman in every round? Look at the great O-lines in the league over the years; they are collected from a variety of big-name draftees, no-name late rounders, the occasional free agent (street or big name), mixed with intangibles such as good coaching and good fortune. Even with the most advanced scouting, there is no way to predict the future, which is why they play the games. Take a look at the line that protected Jim Kelly, for example, and tell me that it was obvious that every one of those guys was going to be great...

My point? That every fan is entitled to be either gloomy or happy, but it is a waste of time and brain cells to assume that anyone on this board possesses the philosopher's stone, or that the people in the front office are somehow missing an obvious football truth.

631729[/snapback]

You are right on point, I really do agree with nearly everything, you have said. I have said many times that we no nothing as compared to the ones working at One Bills Drive, and NO they are not going to tell us what they are planing on doing, but............I really would like to see the Bills, my Bills, bring in someone! Call it a fans frustration. Sure I'll sit back, watch and learn from the guys who have most likley forgotten more than I'll ever know (no that was not intended as a joke) but please give me something, just a little taste that says we have someone of quality to protect our QB and give us one or two more seconds for a play to develop.

I know that times change, but the Colts did as you suggest. In 1997, they selected OTs Glenn and Meadows as their first 2 selections. I'm not sure, but I think that Harbaugh was still there at qb.

The following year they drafted Manning, and a guard with the first pick of the 4th round, who started every game. I don't know if the Bills can do something like this, but it did work for the Colts.

631749[/snapback]

Exactly the problem is that we have almost everything in place except both lines.

TD did everything backwards.