so far (and i emphasize "so far") ...

No, I remember 2-14  :lol: , and this is not 2-14 .  0:)

631484[/snapback]

Awwwww come on. This is really close to 2-14. I can definately see it.

Willis McGahee stars as..............Greg Bell.

JP Losman stars as................Bruce Mathison

Lee Evans as......................Preston Dennard

Takeo Spikes is...............Eugene Marve

and finally........Robert Royal guest stars as......Tony Hunter

Your 2006 Buffalo Bills.

Awwwww come on.  This is really close to 2-14.  I can definately see it.

Willis McGahee stars as..............Greg Bell.

JP Losman stars as................Bruce Mathison

Lee Evans as......................Preston Dennard

Takeo Spikes is...............Eugene Marve

and finally........Robert Royal guest stars as......Tony Hunter

Your 2006 Buffalo Bills.

631489[/snapback]

preston dennard has escaped my memory ...

the bills look like they're going to be a fairly poor to very poor team in 2006. they haven't signed any difference makers in free agency, and the guys they have signed (and might sign) at the key line positions -- triplett, fabini, etc. -- are either average or on career downsides coming off of serious injury. the receivers they've signed have never been productive, and they seem intent on letting moulds go at a time of their choosing (although it wouldn't be the strangest thing in the world if they end up keeping him).  they've also let go vets who still have the ability to play competently (milloy and adams), which suggests full-on rebuilding mode.

i can live with them being a poor team next year -- after all, they were terrible in 05, and we've learned since the end of the season that the atmosphere of the team was completely poisonous (based upon comments from pretty much every player quoted). so they have a long way to go in terms of improvement. rome wasn't built in a day.

hence, i've set out a few goals for next year.

1. Losman becomes the starter and ends up with an 80 rating and 18 td passes.

2. mcgahee gains 1250 yards and averages 4.0 yards/carry. as well, he catches 30 balls and stays in on 3rd downs.

3. kevin everitt flashes competence (35 catches; 11 yards per catch and 5 tds)

4. evans becomes a 70 catch guy.

5. the defensive becomes a top 15 defense again and continues being a good turnover team.

6. they dramatically improve their run defense by acquiring a fat guy with the #8 pick who actually starts this year.

7. spikes is productive and remains excellent in coverage (the reason the bills signed him, of course). he won't be as good as he was, but the hope is that he can still be at least be a good chase and tackle cover LB.

8. their offense ends up ranked between 15 and 20 (it's been in the high 20s for far too long).

9. they use their #2 and a #3 on offensive linemen, and these guys end up contributing as at least part time starters. (i suppose their other third should go towards a safety, which they are now without.)

10. they win 6 (and possibly even 7) games and win one game each against the phins, pats, and jets. i have to say that 6 is a more realistic hope than 7.

11. they end the season up playing teams tough and with competent d-line and qb play.

631031[/snapback]

This is an awful lot of panic being stirred by losing out on Ryan Pickett of all people......

I'm happy with Peters and Villarrial as O-Line starters. The Bills have clearly made a decision that Duke Preston is going to be fine at Center - and who are we to object? We'll have to see about Gandy, but he wasn't terrible.... and Bennie Anderson could be repalced with a 2nd round draft pick, or perhaps by Geisinger. All in all, not necessarily a complete disaster.

And let's not discount the importance of getting rid of an incompetent moron as Head Coach, and brining in someone who is at least competent to Coach this team.

JDG

interesting. holcomb is listed as the starter on the depth chart.

631497[/snapback]

Wasn't the bringing in of Andre' Davis a dead giveaway that as of this moment it is Holcomb's team until Losman proves otherwise?

Wasn't the bringing in of Andre' Davis a dead giveaway that as of this moment it is Holcomb's team until Losman proves otherwise?

631500[/snapback]

i did think that actually.

as for your above post, i don't think i'm panicking at all -- instead, given that the bills haven't brought in any free agent difference makers and let a number of starters walk, i'm projecting (or wishing for) mild improvement from last season. that is, i think they can improve. since they don't have a good qb and are weak on the offensive and defensive lines still, i don't see them being a force next season.

i did think that actually.

as for your above post, i don't think i'm panicking at all -- instead, given that the bills haven't brought in any free agent difference makers and let a number of starters walk, i'm projecting (or wishing for) mild improvement from last season. that is, i think they can improve. since they don't have a good qb and are weak on the offensive and defensive lines still, i don't see them being a force next season.

631506[/snapback]

Which starters did we let walk? As best I can tell, we've lost Trey Teague and Ron Edwards/Justin Bannan as starters. (Sorry, but Sam Adams has to play more than 1/3rd of the plays to be rated a starter in my book.) Given how bad our lines were last season, that looks like addition by subtraction to me. Well, I kind of would have liked to hang onto Bannan, but I'm not going to get worked up over it. I mean, we franchised Clements, and we haven't even got rid of Eric Moulds yet (and its looking less and less likely that we would do so - the TO/Keyshawn day would have been the day to do it, I think, since the market would be flooded with WR's at that point.)

So, we're going to get Spikes back, and we've replaced a defensive tackle with Triplett. We've significantly upgraded the coaching staff. I think we have a chance to contend with this team.... I'm not saying that another year of obscurity at sub-.500 is impossible, but just saying that I don't think the playoffs are a mere pipe-dream either.

JDG

Which starters did we let walk?     As best I can tell, we've lost Trey Teague and Ron Edwards/Justin Bannan as starters.   (Sorry, but Sam Adams has to play more than 1/3rd of the plays to be rated a starter in my book.)    Given how bad our lines were last season, that looks like addition by subtraction to me.    Well, I kind of would have liked to hang onto Bannan, but I'm not going to get worked up over it.   I mean, we franchised Clements, and we haven't even got rid of Eric Moulds yet (and its looking less and less likely that we would do so - the TO/Keyshawn day would have been the day to do it, I think, since the market would be flooded with WR's at that point.)

So, we're going to get Spikes back, and we've replaced a defensive tackle with Triplett.   We've significantly upgraded the coaching staff.   I think we have a chance to contend with this team.... I'm not saying that another year of obscurity at sub-.500 is impossible, but just saying that I don't think the playoffs are a mere pipe-dream either.

JDG

631510[/snapback]

LMAO...............wow.

How about Milloy? Adams was our best DL player. I'm sorry too, but he thought the same of our previous coaching staff as you did, but he was better than the stiffs we had, albeit with a bad attitude. Bannan / Edwards, who both sucked to begin with. Spikes is coming back from a devastating injury (keep our fingers crossed). Also bad, is the fact that we still have Posey and Kelsay listed as starters. And to this scrap heat we add Larry Triplett, a part time, bad run stopper in Indy, who was replaced so that they could finally win the Super Bowl.

Soon Moulds will be gone. We still have an unproven QB. The line is a mess. The best ringing endorsement of Gandy is that he is good for how cheap he is. Yeah, that's what you should strive for out of a LT. Bennie. Enough said. And replacing him with a draft pick will be just as bad.....especially this season. Preston? Come on. CV? Ummmm, he's a good player if he has help around him. With this line, he'll be non-existant. And Peters, a project that seems is coming around. And to this scrap heap, we add Robert Royal, blocker extraordinaire, where Peters should actually be playing, but we have no lineman so he has to be a tackle. And Andre Davis....lol....along with his 9 receptions.

And all of this mess, lead by Dick Jauron. A guy that has one good season under his belt as a head coach. A very lucky season in which the Bears turned ungodly amounts of turnovers in to TD's. And then promptly lost at home in the playoffs. One year. Out of what 5? And with him, he brings in coaches who worked for some of the worst teams in the NFL.

Yeah, we're on the verge alright. Maybe for the #1 pick in the 2007 draft.

To summarize:

Gained: Triplett

Lost: Adams

Change: depends on what mood Adams is in, so let's call this even.

Gained: Royal

Lost: Campbell

Change: hard to say

Gained: Andre Davis

Lost: Eric Moulds (maybe)

Change: for the worse, assuming Moulds goes.

Lost: Lawyer Milloy

Lost: Trey Teague

Lost: Ron Edwards

Lost: Justin Banaan

Change: for the worse.

It's been pointed out the Bills will get Takeo Spikes back. True, but will he be 100%? And you're always going to have an injury somewhere. Last year it was Takeo. This year it will be . . . somewhere or another.

Thus far, it looks like the team has taken a step backwards. We'll see if the Bills can make up for this through progress from young players (such as Preston) and through the draft.